911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

roof-mounted, fuba power-amp anttenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question roof-mounted, fuba power-amp anttenna

the antenna wire in the windscreen really doesn't work all that well. on my '88 951, I installed the Fuba just behind the sunroof (1.5") where there was enough room for mounting and such, ran the wire around the headliner, down the back pillar, under the carpet to the radio. (have a picture, but uncertain how to embed into the message)
Has anyone done this installation on the 911 Turbo (930)?

Gino
'86 930
Old 01-26-2003, 03:14 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Gino,

Does it work!!!

I have been thinking of doing this but mounting it near the back of the roof. My windshield has some road rash and I am thinking of replacing it with a non-antenna model to save about $1000.

I like the looks of the Fuba stalk but had heard that they do ont work very well. Also, the car hifi store I went to said they would not do them any more because of leaks they have had.

But I want one.

So, again have you hooked yours up and is the reseption good???

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Gino
Racer

Keith-
Not sure about the leaks because mine on the 951 had none... as long as you don't deform the roof while installing so the seal isn't suspect, silicone grease on the mounting grommet does the job...
as for the reception... before I installed on the 951 I had no AM at all and the FM had no range nor was it clear. After install, everything worked great. I got the antenna from <a href="http://www.928intl.com" target="_blank">www.928intl.com</a> for $89.
I'm afraid to make a hole in the roof for fears that there will not any room at the end of the "open positioned" sunroof. also, there may be a support beam, or double roof, etc.
have you seen the guts w/o the liner? what's there?

Gino
Old 01-26-2003, 11:24 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Isn't there a zipper in the sunroof back there. Seems like it would not be to hard to take a look. I have one pice seats so I would have to take one out to go look.

Did you get a new one from 928 int for that price or was it used.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Gino
Racer

Keith-
you are correct about the zipper thing... when it's not 0oF in my garage, I'll crawl into the back seats and take a look.
from my limited response from here and the 911 forum I guess not too many people have upgraded their antennas to match today's stereo tuner capabilities...
or maybe they just feel the engine/turbo whine is music to their ears...
-G
Old 01-27-2003, 04:48 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

I kno that is my fav sound!

Was your stalk new or used?
Old 01-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Gino
Racer

new from 928intl. it came w/instructions, and I had some threads from the 944/951/etc forum to go by (do a search in that room on Fuba). I've also owned 2 Passats with the Fuba and those radios had excellent reception.
I've heard of some people frying the antenna amp while installing, or just after from poor technique or sloppiness, but no words about the thing not working or the leaking you mentioned.
-G
Old 01-28-2003, 12:55 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

G,

Not realy worried about the leaking.

I looked at 928int.com, the mast I am thinking looks like a finger instead of a small antena.

the one I like was on some of the Mercedes. It is painted body color with a black tip. Would look cool on the back of my C2T.

Is there some kind of "amp" that goes with your unit or does it just plug in to the normal antenna plug??

Thanks for the help!!!

Quick Reply: roof-mounted, fuba power-amp anttenna