Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post PPI

Hi guys & gals,

Quick question about PPI's....

I think I finally may have found what I have been looking for - an '86 w/ 81k. I located the car in Houston Texas through a relative who knows I have been looking. He is a mechanic, but knows very little about P-cars. My mother has done business with Momentum Porsche, so I was considering taking the car there.

I was wondering (1) if a dealership is the "best" place to take a car for a PPI; and (2) approximately how long do PPI's take?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:00 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the car Cajun texas? If so what city.

Curious George
Old 01-27-2003, 11:29 AM
reed
Advanced

I took my '86 to a reputable Porsche dealership to do the PPI. While they were fairly thorough, most dealerships just aren't set up for this type of service. 95% of their work is new car warranty repairs, not working on cars approaching twenty years old. But since I was buying from out of town, I felt more comfortable going to an authorized dealership than just picking someone at random in a city that I was not familiar with. When I got back home with the car, I took it to an independent repair shop that I know. He was much more thorough and knew all of the 930's problem areas since he works exclusively on pre-90 911s.

By the way, is the car you are looking at a white '86 with tan interior? If so, the car is now listed on ebay with a "buy it now price" of $26,500. From the pictures, the car looks very nice and appears well maintained. Good luck.

Chris
Old 01-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

George, the car is in the Houston area.

Reed, I'm not sure if it is the same car or not. I was originally hoping to find a silver, white or black car. My friends/family know this so chances are it is one of those three colors. I have been playing phone tag with my uncle who heard about the car I am talking about. I haven't had the opportunity to ask him any questions (color, etc.) He simply left me a message to call him because he thinks he found something, and mentioned the mileage. I will check out the car on e-bay. Who knows, it might be the same car??? -If so, I would still like to see it in person before buying/bidding on it. I have a close friend who purchased a car off of e-bay sight unseen and it turned into a real nightmare.

As soon as I hear something, I will let you guys know. - Thanks again for the replies.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:10 PM
reed
Advanced

Here's a link for the car on ebay.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6433&item=2401370164&rd=1" target="_blank">'86 930</a>
Old 01-27-2003, 05:16 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

That car looks to be in nice shape and is fully optioned - full leather interior, sports seats, updated stereo with tweeters, 17 inch Porsche wheels, etc. Although what the heck is that light green oil filter? If a PPI checks out on this car, it is a nice deal at that price.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:59 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several reputable shops in the Houston area that I would select before going to the dealer:
Pro-technik 281-879-8892
Viking Motorsport 281-498-1001
Rennsport 979-885-7304
Eurocar-werk 713-661-6428

All these facilities work on Porsches regularly and could do anything you want for a PPI. Just make sure you know what you are getting and exactly how much it will cost. Shop around.

Any PPI on a turbo should include a compression and leakdown test. It costs more, but it tells you a lot about the health of the engine.

Be sure to ask lots of questions before you buy - this seller does not sell a lot of Porsches - he probably got it from an auction. The transmission is not a G50 as stated in the ad.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice guys.

Reed - I think that it might be the same car in the ad. If so, I don't think I am going to bid on it. I would feel alot better getting a PPI. God knows I would be pi$$ed off if I had to drop another 10 - 12K on an engine rebuild on top of the purchase price.

I was just talking to one of the guys at work who is also a Porsche guy (currently has a C2 Aero & a '73 911 racecar) and he told me about an SC he bought several years ago without getting a PPI. Within a month, the engine blew. Needless to say, one $10,000 engine rebuild later he is a strong advocate of the PPI.

If it doesn't sell, I may give them a call.

JBH - Is Coral Red similar to Raspberry? Just curious, sounds like a nice car. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:22 PM
reed
Advanced

Cajun,

I agree with JBH. On a car with this mileage, I would definitely want a compression and leakdown test as part of the PPI. Also, as with most ebay auctions of cars like this, I think you could arrange with the seller in advance of your bid, that it was conditioned upon a satisfactory PPI. I think most reputable sellers would agree to this.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:52 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Yep - a PPI contingency in advance of bidding is a wise idea. It does seem as if the seller does not know the car very well. Twelve thousand dollars of maintenance for a 17 year old 930 is nothing. Perhaps if he does not know 930s he is using Kelly Blue Book or the like as a price guide. KBB always seems to list prices below the market rate for 930s, so maybe you can get a good deal.

Did they even make 17 inch hollow spoke wheels like that? The only hollow spokes that look like that that I am aware of are the 18 inch 996TT rims.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coral Red has more gold in it than a Guards Red - it is a metallic paint where the metallic component is gold flake. In bright sunlight it almost looks like a bronze color.

It is one of those colors that appeared for a short while in the 90's (remember all the pastel colors that came out in the Carrera series?)

Quick Reply: PPI