Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What does everyone think of this 930?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone think of this 930?

I just made my first post in the 993 forum as an introduction. I'm officially starting my search for a very clean yet driveable 930 or 993. I definitely appreciate the price difference, but that is not a concern as I feel each car has limited downside at this point. I have never driven either car, but have always loved these cars.

Top Gear Porsche seems to sell plenty of clean examples of these air cooled Porsches. Anyone buy from them?

Since I am new to Porsche and just starting to figure out what I need to know, I'm curious what everyone thinks of this particular car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item19db44aeff

I realize it will never be a "collectible" but that doesn't concern me. I'm looking for a car that is clean, well maintained and will hold its value. Does this fall into the "Frankenstein" category by the Porsche faithful?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice car, well presented, good price (with the make an offer option, can't beat that). You would think 19" wheels would look cartoonish, but not bad (those HREs are mega $$). Personally I think 18s would be as large as I would go, with 17" being optimal.

If it passes a PPI, it would be a solid buy.

Why do you say it would never be collectible?

993 and 930 are about 20 years apart in development, my advice is to drive one of each before deciding. Both have their individual merits.

I really dislike the Corbeau A4s in that car.

Yasin
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Yasin about the seats (especially if you plan on ever getting your SO/wife in the front seat with you) and the wheels, other wise looks good. Just beware of bright lights and dealer show rooms. They tend to cover blemishes. You should be able to get somone from here to put eyes on it for you, lots of guys from N.J here.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice car but from looking at the underside of the car, it doesn't look like the engine was dropped/taken out of the car for a reseal?

I would ask for written proof of the work (what was done) so that you have the papers for documentation and for any issues popping up down the road.

Make sure you have a shop that specializes in air cooled turbos to do a PPI or else spare atleast $10,000 for much needed repairs.

Btw, any time people have bigger wheels/after market bumpers/body kits you gotta be careful about the accidents.

With new seats/carpetting watch out for flooded cars etc etc.

Wide bodies (Porsches only) always give me an -rection so please proceed with caution and keeping all -rections in check

Later
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
MontyRS
Track Day

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Nice car, well presented, good price (with the make an offer option, can't beat that). You would think 19" wheels would look cartoonish, but not bad (those HREs are mega $$). Personally I think 18s would be as large as I would go, with 17" being optimal.

If it passes a PPI, it would be a solid buy.

Why do you say it would never be collectible?

993 and 930 are about 20 years apart in development, my advice is to drive one of each before deciding. Both have their individual merits.

I really dislike the Corbeau A4s in that car.

Yasin
Yasin - I only meant that it won't be "collectible" by the most discerning buyers given the modifications. Certainly to me its "collectible."

I'd love to drive both before zeroing in on a particular model, but I'm not one for heading to a dealership unless I'm certain I want to purchase (unfortunately for me I'm an easy sell). Perhaps I will get a chance to meet some local P-car drivers at a meet soon.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
MontyRS
Track Day

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Nice car but from looking at the underside of the car, it doesn't look like the engine was dropped/taken out of the car for a reseal?

I would ask for written proof of the work (what was done) so that you have the papers for documentation and for any issues popping up down the road.

Make sure you have a shop that specializes in air cooled turbos to do a PPI or else spare atleast $10,000 for much needed repairs.

Btw, any time people have bigger wheels/after market bumpers/body kits you gotta be careful about the accidents.

With new seats/carpetting watch out for flooded cars etc etc.

Wide bodies (Porsches only) always give me an -rection so please proceed with caution and keeping all -rections in check

Later
C2 Turbo - this is exactly the sort of "second opinion" I was hoping to receive from the forum. Frankly I'm not mechanic and could not tell from the pictures what work if any was done.

I do see that this groups sells a TON of these cars so I'm hoping their word is somewhat honest, though would certainly request a PPI if I decided to purchase.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
md993a
Instructor

MontyRS, I just sent you a PM
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the level of rust I see on the engine/muffler mount & blowoff valve and the dried residue coming from the exhaust slip joint, newer interior & engine reseal {wink, wink, nod, nod}. I too would be mildly concerned about a flood situation, as stated by C2 Turbo.
My car lives in the greater Seattle area, has 94K miles on it, and I drive it daily, and mine does not even have that much rust showing.

So..... could be absolutely nothing , or it could just live near the salt air, but there be hurricanes in Florida you know! Buyer beware!

Mark

Last edited by fullquack; 04-29-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear bumpers are NOT euro style.....I wouldn't go as far as calling it a Frankenporsche, but I'm surprised some of the purest haven't peed on this yet.

While I personally like the car, I believe it has a very narrow resale market....these cars are 30 years old and IMO, the buyers are becoming more and more 'picky' about being collectible than anything else.

Last edited by Shannon123; 04-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That car has been for sale for a while now.

Maybe with the correct front valance, correct seats, correct back seats, correct rest of the interior, correct rear bumper, correct engine cover/spoiler correct correct wheels, etc......

I'm sure I've missed a lot of things.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 04-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

Those seats and that steering wheel are killing me.

-Markus-
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

While I'm iffy of the white on the steering wheel and the shiny bolsters on the seat, I like the car.

If your purpose isn't to be a collector; have a collector car; or to flip it and/or make some profit on it (at least not to a purist), I'd think it could be a good deal but I would try for a lower price on it (mostly because I'm cheap ) assuming it does well on a PPI (for me, even better if the engine had a proper rebuild already since they aren't cheap).

I like looking at collectibles but I am NOT the type of person to OWN a collectible. I don't want to have a car that I'd be afraid to drive for fear of bringing down its value (by causing it to show wear or add mileage to it) and all of the other stuff that goes with owning a car that's worth showing (concours quality cleanings, avoiding getting it dirty, etc...)...and, like I said, I'm cheap.

I have a 1987 930 that I don't think any purist would want (it's modified; has been track driven; and has over 100K miles). I have doubts I'll ever be able to sell it for the prices I've seen other 930s going for either but you know what? I didn't buy it for that reason- I bought my car to drive it and have fun with it- not show it- so I'm happy. I'm more disappointed that I haven't had a chance to drive it MORE and that I haven't taken it to the track in over 8 years. Note- I didn't pay a collector price for my car.

With all of that said, the asking prices I've been seeing for pristine (or close to it) unmodified low-mileage examples have been WAY higher than what they're asking for this one (like from $50K for "very good" all the way into the six-figures). I'm definitely not the target audience for those.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
The rear bumpers are NOT euro style.....I wouldn't go as far as calling it a Frankenporsche, but I'm surprised some of the purest haven't peed on this yet.

While I personally like the car, I believe it has a very narrow resale market....these cars are 30 years old and IMO, the buyers are becoming more and more 'picky' about being collectible than anything else.
THIS is a proper Euro rear end!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM
3.6 Amazon Green
Instructor

Wow, Ghosteh that is a particularly beautiful car you got there!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM
dantm
Intermediate

Guys, I talked to Sean at Top Gear regarding this car and was about to do a deposit on it; he claimed he would take my offer if we could do the transaction quickly...

Anyway, I said I'd give him a refundable deposit with the condition that the title is clear, that a PPI will be done and won't reveal any accidents, and that they provide the service records for the car. He has not answered my e-mails and phone calls since this request leading me to believe there's more than something fishy with the car.

Quick Reply: What does everyone think of this 930?