Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What a find

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:28 PM
koenig911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible that a complete system will be offered by PD, ie with all parts and a preprogramed link.

BTW look like Simon's car is also twin plugged.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
What coil packs are you using? They look very much like the Mitsui 60,000volt ones?
Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know what make coils are. No markings on them. Very small and seem very good. There is 3 on each side with twin wires out. They are mounted on the manifold on metal brackets. Very nice looking. See pics.

Also don't know if a turn key kit will be available. You will have to ask PD. The pics were finally posted for me. Sorry for the delay.

We are adding a sequential shift light and an Intercooler temp gauge. The revs come up VERY fast and I have hit the rev limiter without expecting and missing the shift point. This to on a 4 speed. Also the temp gauge will help with boost/temp on a hot day with my Intercooler. If temps become a problem, then I will have to fit a bigger Intercooler.

Something I just found out this week driving on the freeway. The boost is controlled by the computer, but it has a function that controls the amount based upon the throttle. Its a function Neil added so that when I'm driving in traffic the boost is not coming in and out. I understand from what he told me, is that at full throttle I have all the boost programmed for that RPM, but if I am at 50% throttle I will only get 50% of the boost programmed for that RPM. Its a really nice feature. It makes driving in LA traffic really comfortable. It can be turned off thro' the computer. I must admit, I did not know about this feature or I did not listen when told about it. I noticed when driving I could hear and feel the boost coming on, but never seeing the boost I thought I should have on the gauge. Nice touch.

Simon.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:56 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M42racer,

After you hit cut out a couple of times you learn how not to. You will probably not use the new shift lite much after you get used to your new motor.

----

Hoping to hear more about your driving impressions.

When my boost is up, my car goes through the RPMs fast also. That is 'after' the boost come on.

Do you notice a night & day difference in turbo lag with the efi & modern turbo? At lower RPM's. Is turbo lag gone?

If you did not get much more power would the eonversion have been worth the effort just for the reduction in turbo lag??

Becides more power, what else can you say about drivability???

Great stuf!!!

Keith
91 C2T

Old 03-13-2003, 02:20 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Keith,

I am extremely happy with my end result. I have only one regret. Now that its all over and paid for, I wish I had gone for the 98.00mm cylinders. I was advised to do so, but it was my decision to stay with the 97.00mm. I probably will have to fit a full size Intercooler but this can be done from the outside with no engine work required. Cylinders will obviously need more work to change.

As for throttle response, well its amazing. The engine snaps when I give it throttle. The difference is huge. I could not tell you if its from the EFI, Cams or the Ball bearing turbo or anything else. Maybe its all of the above. I just know its very ballastic. There is no lag at all. At least I can not feel any. However, there is no boost at very low RPM's, but the engine feels like a hotrodded normally aspirated engine down low. When I give throttle the boost is there in a heartbeat. I first thought I had a slipping clutch. It wasn't until the car snapped sideways, that I realized what was happening. Before I had that typical soft lazy response, normal for 930's. As this car is somewhat new to me, I wanted a car which gave me that quick, ballastic throttle response, a flat torque curve, and something around 450HP. I drove a new turbo before buying this one to experience the feeling of 400+ HP. I can tell you this car is nothing like the new cars. Way way better and for alot less. Can't beat that.

As for was it worth it. Absolutely. No regrets there. I got exactly what I wanted, within my budget and exceeded my performance goals.

Simon
Old 03-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Sameer
Race Car

m42racer,
I have'nt been following this thread closely but your ride seems pretty interesting, whats sort of mods you have on it? what boost? what comression? Care to share with us.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Sameer
Race Car

m42racer,
sorry but i missed the previous threads where you mentioned whats been done to your ride. interesting mods you have on your car.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:23 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Sameer,

Glad you got all the info. I'm really happy with the outcome. Only thing that I'm not happy about is the weather here in southern Cal. I can't drive my car. We are really spoilt here, I know.

Simon

Quick Reply: What a find