Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

please don't laugh....BIG RED'S question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:26 PM
1979 930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post please don't laugh....BIG RED'S question...

ok. i purchased my 1979 930 with 10k documented miles...only 2 flaws. one, the car pulled slightly when the driver shifted. PPI stated bad suspension, but it actually was bad tires (i upgraded to turbo twists). and the 2nd flaw (which the ppi also noted, too...LOL) was this. the BIG RED BRAKE UPGRADE was done right, done nice...but...the passenger rear is black!?!?!? wtf? any idea why this would be, or did PORSCHE run out of red paint that day? thanx.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:15 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

The most common way to use Big Reds from the 993TT line to upgrade 930 brakes is to take the large black front 930 calipers and move them to the back (as these are far superior to the back brakes) and then put the big reds on the front. I believe this is almost always the way it is done. So, you just need to get those back calipers painted red to match the front of the fronts painted black to match the rear.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

With all due respect to Bill (above), that is not always true.

There are many brake upgrades and you might have S4 calipers on the front and the front 930 calipers relocated to the rear. This is a very nice upgrade. The S4 calipers are available in red or black.

S4 & Big Red (TT) front calipers look similar in design but differ in size. 930 calipers look quite different from the above and the 4 external socket-head bolts are the biggest givaway to identifying the 930 ones. S4 and TT calipers have no visible hardware.

FWIW, its really bad practice to use Big Red front TT calipers together with the stock 930 rear ones. Thats a poor match and results in an unfavorable brake bias.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:49 AM
1979 930
Advanced

thanx for the responses, but i think one thing was missed. only one of my rear brakes is black. the car brakes perfectly, as if these were brand new. but since only one rear caliper is black, i was wondering "wtf?". i guess somewhere along the line, brakes were swapped out, and i got a mix and match setup for the rear...lol. oh, and my front brakes are larger...good input.

Old 09-12-2002, 05:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
From your pictures, it looks to me that you have Turbo calipers of 2 different colors.

No worries,.....
Old 09-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with Steve, the passenger looks like the factory anodized black caliper, the driver's side looks like it was painted. You'll want to find out if they are the Turbo Front or Turbo Rear calipers. If they are the rear turbo calipars with big reds front, you definately have a bias problem. If they are the front turbo calipars they you have bias problem that isn't as bad and can be managed with a proportioning valve. The "right" solution would be to purchase the big red rears which use the S4 pads and will have the correct bias.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Alan
Electron Wrangler
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 429 Likes on 292 Posts
The 928 GTS has the same brakes as the Turbo Big Red's but the calipers are Black as standard, (with white lettering) maybe you just have these. If so they should be functionally equivalent (of course you still have to ask why just 1?)

Alan

Quick Reply: please don't laugh....BIG RED'S question...