911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Porsche Panorama - "The Last 930"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDPride
Amazing automobile. ...... My guess is hes not hurting for money and has another fun car to drive ........
Originally Posted by Last930
In the end they're just cars - drive 'em !!
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Cool car but he needs to drive it a little, at least break it in!
It does/did belong to Linton and if my memory serves, back in '05 he told me that he does not drive, doesn't even have a license and his mode of transportation is via chauffeur in a hired car.

So, if in fact this is true, he probably won't be putting a lot of miles on it !
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

The most interesting part of the whole story is he originally just wanted a Carrera with a leather dashboard. Thats like $50,000. But he ends up spending probably $300,000 when its all said and done.

I wonder how many people make a big purchase like that and then kind of on a whim just decide to completely change gears and spend an extra $250,000 or 6x what they originally intended?

In the one sense it shows the genuine passion someone had in deciding they wanted nothing but the absolute best. On the other hand, it also shows someone who originally had the wherewithal to spend a money-is-no-object sum but had total intentions of just walking into the dealership and being far more under-stated in what theyd be content with compared to what they could afford.

I find both of those extremes complimentary to the owner.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

While it isn't driven, there is something to be said for the work that went into the car. Truly incredible the attention to detail. Maybe it isn't tasteful to some, but I don't think the car was originally intended to be tasteful for everyone. I think it was (towards the end) meant to show how far the 930, and Porsche AG, could be taken in terms of personalization and performance. While it's not the same 'exercise' so-to-speak, this car would likely put a 959 to shame in terms of the personalization aspect.

Sure, it isn't driven, which is unfortunate, but it is kind of a museum piece. It represents everything 930: stupid performance and extreme luxury, and everything Porsche personalization: leather, radio, etc.; and everything '80's: radio, etc. This is perhaps THE 1980's Porsche.

Plus, for all we know every night the owner may come home and just listen to the sound system in it. Or just look at it.

I think the owner is a member here, but not sure. I won't give a username for privacy's sake.

Cool car. Amazing stuff in it. But, I still think the most amazing thing is that he just wanted a leather dash in his Carrera. If the dealer had originally just said, yep, we can do that, this car wouldn't have even been in anyon'es imagination.

Take care!

Quick Reply: Porsche Panorama - "The Last 930"