Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'87 T U R B O on ebay Red-27k miles...... $90,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM
jay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom line is you get what you pay for. When I bought my '79 930 in 2002, i paid a premium to what 930 turbos were going for at that time. The car was a time capsule and was as delivered from new right down to the thermal reactors etc. I did not pay attention to what the "price guides" said they were worth because you cant buy a car from price guides. My standards were and are higher than that. I have since been offered by some well known people in the Porsche community a lot more money than I paid for it. A quality unmolested original car will always be that and there will always be people that recognize that.

If you have a seller that has kept the car in top original condition and maintained it to the highest standards, I have no problem paying a premium for that.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jay72
The bottom line is you get what you pay for. When I bought my '79 930 in 2002, i paid a premium to what 930 turbos were going for at that time. The car was a time capsule and was as delivered from new right down to the thermal reactors etc. I did not pay attention to what the "price guides" said they were worth because you cant buy a car from price guides. My standards were and are higher than that. I have since been offered by some well known people in the Porsche community a lot more money than I paid for it. A quality unmolested original car will always be that and there will always be people that recognize that.

If you have a seller that has kept the car in top original condition and maintained it to the highest standards, I have no problem paying a premium for that.
Well said Jay
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 AM
TTownThomas
Advanced

Dear angry man,

If you don't like the price don't buy it. If you wait and search and network and have patience you will find good deals. Eventually. THERE IS NOT AN EFFICIENT MARKET IN PORSCHES. If you are an impatient a-hole networking won't happen.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTownThomas
Dear angry man,

If you don't like the price don't buy it. If you wait and search and network and have patience you will find good deals. Eventually. THERE IS NOT AN EFFICIENT MARKET IN PORSCHES. If you are an impatient a-hole networking won't happen.
Perfect ........ except, if you read other posts (pelican) by "T930", you'll see that this is his standard MO !
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I was in the garage last night looking at mine. It ain't going anywhere in my lifetime.
Kind of how I feel. I may end up requesting a burial in the thing.

But, its nice to know the prices for 930s remain VERY STRONG right now. The last 3-5 years have really put some wind in all our sails to justify sweating like a melting fudge-cicle in the summer when the A/C blows air thats even hotter than the outside temperature.

The 930 has a couple things clearly going for it. First, numbers are obviously dwindling over time. These cars arent spring chickens anymore. Many have been wrapped around telephone poles or completely converted to race-specific funmobiles.

Second and probably most important: the overall aesthetic design. The 930 probably has the most distinctive profile Porsche has ever produced after the 356. Its recognizable around the world. Even when our dim-witted neighbors who know nothing about cars see a 930, they know its a Porsche. In fact, when most people conjure up a vision of a Porsche, its this car. In the 1980s everything was over the top and this car certainly was. You just cant put a price on that big fat *** in the back.

FWIW, a good buddy of mine just had a couple German brokers/buyers buy his 1984 Turbo Look for $38,000 to send back to Germany for resale. I think the car had 80,000 miles on it but was completely stock and concours quality. A couple years ago I bet it doesnt fetch $31-33k. Ive noticed a lot of cars being sold and returned to their motherland of late. I guess the pickins' back in Germany arent what they used to be and prices in the states make cherrypicking the good stuff financially advantageous to ship overseas.

Turbo Looks are pretty rare (1,600 or so), but I doubt they will ever bring 930 money, so its good to know a good TL is getting close to $40,000 now.

We saw these significant jumps in prices in early 911s about 7-8 years ago and they never returned to their old affordable prices again. Same with 356s. The 930 may be approaching that point where its now old enough to be considered a true classic in the conventional sense of buying for investment purposes. I expect the market to be very good to these cars over the next 10 years, though a lot depends on the US financial market and our collapsing fiat currency.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Baron, that yellow car looks nice! Hope it runs just as well!

BTW, excellent post! You hit the nail on the head with your market analysis!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Good analysis, I see 930s going up rapidly, ESP the special models (505, special wishes, 75-79, etc). I see these cars approaching 3.6 money.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Good analysis, I see 930s going up rapidly, ESP the special models (505, special wishes, 75-79, etc). I see these cars approaching 3.6 money.
I agree ..........Clean, original, documented, low mileage original 505 slants & special wish cars are the next to shoot up

Back in the early 90's (can't remember the year) I won a "bootleg" Cannonball race from Towson MD. to Ocean City MD in a beautiful Red factory slantnose !

Midnight start - 159.1 miles in 1:38.00 (do the math) ..... never did get my supposed $10k prize which I had very publicly commited to charity if I won !

My younger sister read about the "arrest" the next morning in the Norfolk VA paper......... I still occasionally catch **** for that stunt !

Oh well ......... Twenty years older with five kids ........... probably do it again if provoked
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Scandinavianguy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 505

I really hope that you are right and that the special wishes 930 will go up in price. I have an slantnose 1985 with low miles but it seems to be dificult to get a nice price for it. In Sweden the prices for older porsches are going up fast but there are not so many that want to pay. You have to to Germany to get better paid.

Quick Reply: '87 T U R B O on ebay Red-27k miles...... $90,000