Annual oil change necessary ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
skipp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annual oil change necessary ?

Hi,

I've been doing annual oil changes, but am only driving about 500 to 1,000 miles per year. With this low annual mileage could I go to every other year?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the general consensus would be yes, particularly if your car will be sitting several months waiting for the "good weather" to hit the roads again (as mine is currently doing). Something about acids in the oil as the result of normal combustion gas bypass. But I don't know, should search the net for info. At today's oil prices it gets kinda spendy to change out the oil anymore, when from a formulation standpoint many oils are supposedly good for 5000 miles (all dependent upon driving conditions, etc).
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Richard K
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual says once a year.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard K
The manual says once a year.
Yes, and Shell Oil Company co-authored the manual :-)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From a Buyer's perspective, I would favor a car with annual oil changes and bi-annual brake flushes over a better optioned/color car with less frequent services. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

My long time Porsche trained engineer says not necessary. Says a car can be left up to ten years in proper storage even !
Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Why aren't you driving it? That's the real question. Cars driven lasts longer
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM
skipp
Instructor

I drive it regularly, but have five "play" cars that I drive regularly also, so none get much mileage each year. So, the question is back to having to change the oil annually with only 1,000 miles driven each year. I appreciate the responses.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Just for kicks but most probably because I don't have a life (get a life, dude!) I spent some time Googling the topic. And the answer is.....no definitive answer (duh).

Some state that oil technology has improved so much over the years that frequent changes aren't as necessary as what your dad told you regarding every 3000 miles driven or not. Others say that condensation and combustion by-products will continue to cause oil degradation just sitting there.

Here's one persons view....for what it's worth...that probably speaks some level of logical sanity. Personally, since oil degradation will probably vary widely depending on the health of your engine, I would suggest establishing a baseline with an oil analysis after a season of driving to understand what condition your oil is in, then go forward from there and plan accordingly in the years to come.

This is a common issue. I have a truck that I use year round, but only gets a few thousnad miles.

The bigger issue is drainback of oil and condensation forming in the oil. Its good that you get the oil good and hot regularly when you use it.

Really, anything that anybody can tell you is anecdotal evidence. Good and well-backed, but anecdotal evidence at best. If the vehicle is garage kept, Id venture to guess that your oil will be fine for 2-year intervals, if you are so inclined.

My suggestion wouldbe to sameple the oil that has been in there for a season and sitting for the next year's use, and see the water content (run the engine for a few minutes first to get everything well mixed), and send it for a UOA with professional determination of whay you can do.

IMO, youll be able to go 2 seasons, if you so desire. Why not chnage it is a good question, and using it elsewhere is a great option, but you might not desire - notmu business.

A UOA will tell you the quality of your oil after a season of use, and after nearly 3 seasons of storage afterwards. Knowing what is hapening in your oil will tell you once and for all what you need to do.

As I said, I bet youll be OK, especially if you drive it easy and long, first use, to drive off any condensation.. and remember, what condenses in your crankcase while sitting will also condense in your diff and trans, so if you have an issue in one place, youve got it everywhere.

Likely the effects of sitting on your tires, and fuel quality,stability are bigger fators to consider.

High quality additives (LC and FP) will surely help to ensure protection through the offtime.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM
skipp
Instructor

Dude, great response. You now have a life!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM
JFairman
Racer

If it looks dirty change it, if it looks relatively clean don't.. unless you want to anyway.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually do oil changes around 1.5 years or bi-annually and never had a problem on my sportscars. i only get to drive them 1500-2000 miles a year and can sit for as long as 3 months at a time. never had an issue relating to oil changes ever.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Pencak95
AutoX

Just my feed-back, Every 2 years for my "toys", no problem in 12 years, low yearly mileage as well. Modern Oils are very good, pour quality of unleaded is more a concern after a few weeks/months without driving.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My Benz goes a couple or three years between changes as it gets maybe 500 miles a year on it. Nothing else I own is driven that infrequent.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
skipp
Instructor

Thanks to all that responded. I changed it yesterday. Had to get it inspected anyway, so might as well dump the oil while its there.

Quick Reply: Annual oil change necessary ?