911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 engine rebuilt to Ruf BTR

Old 12-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 930 engine rebuilt to Ruf BTR

Hi guys,

My 930 engine rebuilt is near to complete. Should be complete by next week. I hope to see 400rwhp at 0.9 bar of boost with 98 octane RON

Engine components:

ˇ 3.4 litre(98mm) Ruf BTR/CTR 7.5:1 compression piston/cylinder kit(Mahle) fully finned, short skirt pistons

ˇ Engine balanced and blueprinted

ˇ Ruf Group B Cams

ˇ PowerHaus Racing Valve springs with Titanium retainers

ˇ PowerHaus 32mm billet injector blocks and Phenalic insulators

ˇ PowerHaus complete engine gasket set with Viton seals(Hand-picked)

ˇ Raceware headstuds

ˇ ARP Rod Bolts

ˇ Polished intakes on cylinder heads

ˇ Ruf K29 Quickspool lightweight Turbo

ˇ Kokeln 642 cubic inch racing intercooler(polished) with C2 pop of valve update

ˇ Tial 46mm wastegate(from Porsche 962 race car) with 0.9 bar boost spring

ˇ AireTek High flow air Induction Kit

ˇ Millemiglia stainless steel free-flow dual outlet muffler with 4” tail pipe

ˇ 1 5/8" B&B nearly equal length stainless steel headers without heat exchangers

ˇ 934 CIS Venturi plate

ˇ Andial fuel enrichment(7th injector)

ˇ 3.3% CO level

ˇ Running on 100 Octane(RON) fuel/Mobil 1 Fully synthetic engine oil

ˇ PowerHaus fender mounted oil cooler w/fan and steel braided oil lines

ˇ Custom fabricated oil cooler with high pressure oil hoses

ˇ Samco silicon hoses

Transmission/Brakes/Suspension components:

ˇ KEP Lightweight billet clutch(3500 pounds clamping force)

ˇ Ruf short shift kit

ˇ 993 Twinturbo brakes with steel braided brake line

ˇ Ruf Sport Nurbergring shocks

ˇ Ruf torsion bars

ˇ Strut bar welded to body

ˇ Weltmeister adjustable top monoball mounts

Body/Cosmetics:

ˇ Ruf Speedline rims (Rear:265/40 17”x10&#8221 (Front:235/40 17”x9&#8221

ˇ Ruf rear bumper(RSR type)

ˇ Modified front 930 Turbo S bumper for better cooling(w/oil cooler opening)

ˇ Gemballa carbon fibre rear spoiler(RSR 3.8 type)

ˇ NACA rear fender air ducts

ˇ Ruf gauges(5 instruments including Ruf boost gauge) with silver bezels

ˇ Carbon Fibre instrument panel(behind gauges)

ˇ Ruf 3 spoke suede steering

ˇ RS door panels/covers(with red pull straps)

ˇ RS Guards red seat belt

ˇ Recaro A8 seats, Seats back in Guards Red

ˇ Philips Xenon headlights

ˇ Techart clear side markers

ˇ 993 side mirrors(tear drop)

ˇ 993 G/**** and Handbrake in Carbon Fibre finish

ˇ 964 door sills with “Turbo” script

ˇ 964 floor mats with “Porsche” script

. Ruf factory decals

Full car rewired and restored to factory specifications (including under carriage and full paintwork etc.)
Old 12-09-2002, 02:23 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sameer:

An impressive list of upgrades. Stay out of my neighborhood!

A few questions:
1. Why did you elect to stay with CIS
2. Why do you say the Andial Enrichment is a 7th injector?
3. What brought about this transformation - is this for track use, street, or did you just hit the lottery?

Pictures - we want pictures!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much does something like that cost? 20k+?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:44 PM
FLYN930
Intermediate

Sameer,

Your car sounds incredible. As a fairly new 930 owner I know just how addicting these beautiful cars can be. Congratulations, it sounds like it's coming together very nicely. Please post some pictures of this lustful beast!

Cheers,

Brian
81 930
Old 12-09-2002, 04:45 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Ian - I just had a very similar 3.4 930 motor built and I would guess Sameer's engine work alone was in the $30K range. Add in all the other things he had done to the cosmetics, brakes, suspension, etc, and I am guessing 40-45K.

Sameer - do you plan to Dyno it after the break-in? I plan to dyno mine in the next month of so. We have very similar engines, but I went with a Twin Plug as well, kept my K-27, and use and ApexI AVC-R adjustable boost controller. I leave the car at the stock .8 most the time as I am still trying to learn the controller. On the dyno I hope to see 425-450 crank HP (and similar torque) at .8 bar and pump gas, and perhaps as high as 480 at .95 bar with 100 octane mixed in. More important to me than the overall HP is the great low end response I have and the very wide power band - but I still am curious as to what to "official" numbers are.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Sameer
Race Car

JBH,
The reason being I stayed with the CIS is because the mods can still cope with the current fuel injection sustem. Yes Motec, Motronic, Autronic have more tuning parameters but I did'nt want to go into the hassle of retuning over and over again after every modification and the effort, time and money spent just to convert is not worth the effort.JMHO.
2.Pardon my ignorance but is'nt the Andial fuel enrichment an additional injector??
3.Nope this car is just street use and I do plan to bring it to track once in a while. I'm just crazy for straight line raw power which is why the 930 is the perfect car for me.

ZCAT3,
Yes I do plan to dyno the car after I have run it in. I will also be taking pics which I will post here.

I've had this car since Jan 2000 and have spent about US$65k everything in. Now thats the price I paid for the car itself...
Old 12-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I'll be anxious to see your HP as well. My engine, also a RUF BTR engine is also being rebuild, and I'm hoping for approx 450-500 hp. Instead of KKK I'm going with a Garrett, and instead of my manuel Ruf Boost controler I'm having a Greddy boost control installed. Also upgrading my cams (not sure of the profile), cross drilled crankshaft for better oiling, oil passages expanded for better flow, new valves and springs, new 3.4 cylinders at 7.5 compression. Rings between cylinders and head to be able to run 1.2 bar (on the street, will run 1 bar at the track) and a special Prototech intake that will go from turbo to intake and allow additional flow.

Hope to be done in the next week

Erik

p.s if anyone is interested in a used set of RUF 3.4 cylinders and pistons, let me know. Just need to buy new piston rings. They are still within spec, but since it taking too long for the piston rings, I decided to just buy new pistons/cylinders
Old 12-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Little correction and addition.

My compression will actually be closer to 7.8 to 1 after redoing the heads, and I forgot to mention alumium tapered injector blocks to ensure equal flow in all cylinders.

Erik
Old 12-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Erik,
At 1.2 bar you'd probably see close to 450bhp with your specs. I doubt 500bhp.

which Garret turbo and cams are you using? Care to explain more on the Prototech intake? any pics? I've not heard of it. Which intercooler you using? Your new 3.4 kit from Ruf??
Old 12-11-2002, 02:23 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sameer:
It is my understanding that the Andial unit is not a seventh injector and does not have the risk of maldistribution of fuel.

Rather than me repeat Andial's description, here is the <a href="http://www.andial.com/content/930/fuel_enrich.htm" target="_blank">LINK</a>
Old 12-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Sameer,

I don't know what kind of Garrett or camshaft. These have both been done per Prototech's specifications. I trust Prototech to made the right decisions since I've seen some of the monsters that have been created there. I think Juan Ruiz innitially had his work done there too (n/a carrera to turbo) The intake is actually a tube from the turbo, through the fenderwell, then up and back thru the fenderwell over to the intake. It prevents the air from being "crimped" through that small outlet on the turbo and prevents the engine from running out of air. I think the cylinders are Mahle, but not Ruf.

I will post pictures when done, and also do some dyno after a 1000 mile breakin. Regarding the 500 hp, a man can dream can't he ??
Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hear my name???????????? do I know you ?
Old 12-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Boeingone
Rennlist Member

Sameer,
What a dream car!
Can you tell my why you decided on Group B cams,
I have them in my 87 930 (that way when I bought it) and they don't have much low end to them.
Randy
Old 12-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Boeingone,
Well I wanted to convert my 930 to the Ruf BTR which stands for "group B turbo Ruf", therefore using group B cams. Also I did put in the higher displacement and compression piston cylinder kit which makes up for a lot of lag or eliminates a lot of lag.
Basically now I have a very good setup. A quickspool turbo, higher compression and displacement which gives me sooner low end/mid range power and the Group B cams for the higher revs(5000 to 7000 revs). This way I have power thru out the rev band. Not forgetting I have racing valve springs with titanium retainers to rev upto 7000 rpm safely, or should i say safer than stock. Since I'm on higher compression, I keep the boost at 0.9 bar which does fluctuate to 0.95 during cooler weather. This is what I've always wanted ever since I got my 930- "Safe reliable power"
Old 12-13-2002, 01:53 AM
Boeingone
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Sameer,
You learn something new every day.
I just got a Tial waste gate in the mail today. It's truly a work of art, looks too good to put in the car. My waste gate was giving up the ghost, so I think the Tial will help me with spool up time.
The mechanic who did all the work on my engine swears that he put in Mahle 8.5 to 1 Pistons. Have you ever heard of anyone doing that on a turbo? Any opinons on that?
Randy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 930 engine rebuilt to Ruf BTR