Turbo behavior/PPI questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 03:39 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo behavior/PPI questions

First off, thanks for the responses to my other post. Now, I'm going to look at the car. It seems from many angles that this '87 Turbo is a good find: the current owner has all the records from the previous owners, including the window sticker and lots of other paperwork (titles, etc.). He even has the original key fobs/packets. The interior looks too good to be true from the pictures.

The engine is stock except for a new K-26 turbo and wastegate boot, and the current owner replaced one of the CV joints and the parking break pads. He described the engine as having "normal seepage but does not leak or excessively burn oil." What's normal seepage on a 930? How much oil do people burn?

Also, does anyone know what's normally involved with a turbo's 60k mile maintenance? He said his mechanic told him the valves don't need adjusting, so he skipped it. I'm also worried about the plugs and when they were last changed.

Basically, what would I have to be concerned with at 60k on an '87 turbo that has been (let's assume for the moment) well taken care of?

Thanks again,

John
Old 08-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

The 930 does indeed have oil drips. Some of them will drive you batty. Depending on where they are coming from, they mean something or don't mean anything. The way to tell is to drive the thing hard and thoroughly, put it away nice and hot, then check the floor the next morning. If you get drips, how much, and from where do they seem to come?

A 930 that has been driven typically that doesn't "need" a valve adjustment at the regularly scheduled interval is a rare beast.

Again, John, get a PPI from someone other than the mechanic who services the car. I can't emphasize that enough.

That said, with a 16 year old car you can always find reasons to pass it up, and I certainly understand paralysis by analysis. I say do the minimum (a good PPI), then go with your gut if you can get a good price.

Plugs aren't that big of a deal, as this car goes, although there not as easy to change as on an old Honda Civic.

After you buy the car, I'll start talking you into twin-plugging it....

Any record of clutch service?
Old 08-26-2002, 05:05 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, clutch service. I don't know - I keep forgetting to ask. Next email: clutch.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:19 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's normal for 930's to have a bit of seepage. Usually from the cam carrier side.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Omeed
Track Day

My '87 leaked when I purchased the car. Durring the PPI,the Mechanic diagnosed it as the 'oil return tubes'. After replacing those, we found out that the cam towers were improperly sealed and were leaking. Not too bad but they are located right above the manifold so whenI'd come home and shut her off, it would smoke out the garage... long story short, $3k later, nothing leaks.
Good luck
O
--------------------

930@omeed.net
Old 08-27-2002, 11:38 AM
PT
Racer

Mine is similar to Omeeds - the PPI mechanic thought it was the valve cover when I got it about 6 months ago. Turned out to be the cam housing. So engine has to come out & $3k later, its now great.

Be sure you test the clutch as well - if it needs replacement & the engine has to come out then its a perfect time to get it done.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Just a quick thought to those considering a cam tower re-seal - the need for a cam tower re-seal is not uncommon. If you and your mechanic feel the repair can wait for the next "major" service (when most techs drop the engine anyway), then the actual cost of fixing the cam tower "leak" is substantially less as the engine is already out.

Dan

Quick Reply: Turbo behavior/PPI questions