911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

New clutch recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002 | 02:16 AM
FLYN930
Intermediate

Post New clutch recomendations?

Hey gang,

I think the clutch in my 930 isn't going to last too much longer and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the units available from the aftermarket outfits like Kennedy, PowerHaus or Centerforce. I'm also considering a light weight flywheel. Currently the car is pretty much stock (euro and healthy) with a 1 bar spring. I do plan on headers & exhaust, K27 turbo and larger intercooler sometime soon but the clutch needs attention first. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
81 930
Old 11-19-2002 | 10:34 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Exclamation

Brian,
There are a lot of options available. It really depends on mods in the future. If you do not plan on ever bumping the compression I would not go to the lightweight flywheel and pressure plate. The low compression demands momentum to pull away from a light and this doesn't help matters. If you bump the compression along with cams etc they work well. If your goal is not anything more than headers, turbo upgrade and intercooler consider a stock PP and Flywheel replacement and a early style disc with springs rather than the rubber dampener. This setup is good for about 400HP without issue. I have pushed them more than that, but that number is a safe one. If you need a real go getem clutch ...<a href="http://www.turbo911.com/forum/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=51&ThreadPage=1" target="_blank">Check this out</a>
Old 11-20-2002 | 03:26 PM
FLYN930
Intermediate

Thanks Stephen. I do plan on a compression ratio and displacement increase eventually but that probably won't happen right away. But you've got me interested in your clutch setup. How much are they and how can I get one?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 11-20-2002 | 11:57 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Brian,
Please contact me off line. I don't like to talk price, just tech on the Fourm.
Old 11-21-2002 | 03:08 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Brian - I have the hybrid clutch that Stephen has made for his high HP cars. It is a unique setup. It does require a fair amount of foot pressure on the clutch pedal and as it is a hybrid puck clutch it takes some practice to use smoothly. It feels very good in my car and grabs very strongly. Starting smoothly from a standstill takes practice as there is no room for error - you need to release at the exact point where the clutch engages or the car will stutter a bit.
Old 11-26-2002 | 02:25 AM
jrogers
Advanced

Last summer i had a slipping clutch, and chose to upgrade to a Sachs sport clutch (purchased through Windward Performance). It turned out the clutch in the car was fine, it had plenty of material left, just not enough clamping force for cool days at full power. The new setup came with an aluminum spacer that cut quite a bit of weight off of the whole unit, 10+ pounds, I think. It works great, The pedal feels like it takes about the same amount of force, and it does not slip at all. I think the motor spools up a bit faster, and I can see no negative effects of the upgrade. I would consider this a good upgrade over the stock setup.
Old 11-26-2002 | 04:04 PM
FLYN930
Intermediate

Jim,

It sounds like you've got a nice setup. What you described is exactly the problem I have been having lately. On a cool day after some spirited driving so that the tires are nice and warm the clutch will slip under full boost. Mainly in 1st gear although it's noticeable in 2nd too. I'm curious about the aluminum spacer you refer to. Where exactly does the spacer go?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 11-26-2002 | 10:23 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Brian,
I tried to respond to your message and it says user not accepting private messages. Please contact me at PorschePhD@imagineauto.com if I can help.
Old 11-27-2002 | 01:03 AM
jrogers
Advanced

The aluminum spacer replaces the steel spacer that is there on the stock clutch. It moves the throwout bering out (I think) so that it is in the stock location. I looked at the site again where I got it(http://windward-perf.com/), and they claim 13 lbs weight reduction, which I can believe. It is really deamatic when you lay the two systems side by side. The aluminum spacer is the diameter of the flywheel, by about an inch think. I believe that the starter gear moves bolts to it to keep the stock location as well. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2002 | 01:40 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<strong>Brian - I have the hybrid clutch that Stephen has made for his high HP cars. It is a unique setup. It does require a fair amount of foot pressure on the clutch pedal and as it is a hybrid puck clutch it takes some practice to use smoothly. It feels very good in my car and grabs very strongly. Starting smoothly from a standstill takes practice as there is no room for error - you need to release at the exact point where the clutch engages or the car will stutter a bit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Speaking of stuff from Stephen, done any dyno runs lately?

Quick Reply: New clutch recomendations?