911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'88 930

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey Gelefsky , you just spoiled a perfect monologue with your colorful avatar.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Hey Gelefsky , you just spoiled a perfect monologue with your colorful avatar.

Story of my life....
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 AM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost went to a similar project with "Word of life" after the major hurricane Mitch in 1998

Great what your doing over there with your Rennwish project.

I know I'm off topic. Should I take the same avatar.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
....I know I'm off topic. Should I take the same avatar.
Ummm - almost this entire thread has been off-topic Sure - you can use the "Avatar du jour" - without the license plate, no one would know it's not yours (well, maybe 'cept the wheels and the.. Well - it's close enough )

Great news about your car up and running again!!!

John
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So, how do you like the car, any more pics?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

This NEVER happens for me. Every 930 I see is either ragged way too much, or either the seller wants at least $50-60,000 with about zero records on it.

As much as I love the P brand, for $60,000 I am going to go get an Audi TT RS or a used Cayman and bank the rest .

I guess I will have to own my really top notch 951 for a long time. Oh well, there are worse things.

Congrats on the car.

Last edited by TexasRider; 09-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by John D.
Ummm - almost this entire thread has been off-topic Sure - you can use the "Avatar du jour" - without the license plate, no one would know it's not yours (well, maybe 'cept the wheels and the.. Well - it's close enough )

Great news about your car up and running again!!!

John

Lets see that beauty and park it next to mine. Would do awesome pics
Coming surfing this weekend. Gotta stretch her legs
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
This NEVER happens for me. Every 930 I see is either ragged way too much, or either the seller wants at least $50-60,000 with about zero records on it.

As much as I love the P brand, for $60,000 I am going to go get an Audi TT RS or a used Cayman and bank the rest .

I guess I will have to own my really top notch 951 for a long time. Oh well, there are worse things.

Congrats on the car.
I hear you, but there are deals to be had out there.
A nice example w low miles that needs nothing is probably going to be Btwn 45-60k, that's just the market.
Sometimes you get lucky....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM
John D.
Banned

Awww - you guys are AWESOME - thank you!!!! OK.... I can take pics while the sunroof if off (see below ) but, I've been working overtime at the store this week, as it's our annual sale. Monday was a ZOO!!!

OK - here is a quick update...

Ordered my Fiske wheels today.. YAHOO!!!! I decided on the 17" rather than the 18"s. Four week build time, a week in shipping.. Dang, I wanted them for my track event at LRP late September - but, it's not in the cards, I guess...

A couple of niggling problems....

Sunroof hasn't worked (the PO disclosed that), but - being an A+ Type that I am - it's now all apart - sunroof out, tracks out, cables out, motor out, etc... It's in parts all over the place. Found the cable had detached from the passenger side - so, I'm repairing that - and clean out GOBS of GREASE from everything while it's out.. Why it even MOVED with all that grease, is beyond me.... While I hardly ever actually use the sunroofs on the 993, 964 or the 911L - I just like things to work right...

The reverse light switch has a slow leak. Mark Nadler (EXOTECH, Plastow NH) who did the rebuild on the engine/tranny has a new one coming in for me (no charge) and I'll get that installed sometime this week in my garage... Other then that, everything is dry as a bone under the car (as it should be, with a full rebuild/reseal)

The A/C Evap fan is toasted... I knew about that too... Mark had one laying around his shop - and we did an R&R on that blower - and I'll install it next week, prolly... The cost of the fan we R&R'd? $0... I love my car - and never use A/C - but, well - it just should be "right"...

Also - have brake pads on their way - all around.. So - I might do both rotors and pads late next week, or at least the pads...

Also, needed a new window switch (driver side for the passenger window) - so, I have one of those on the way.. A 5 minute install (as long as the harness is still good... )

Have some Rennline pedals covers in (I can NOT reach the accel pedal for heel/toe - just like I couldn't in my '87 911 or 993, as I "roll" - and have small feet (don't start with me )) - so, after I get the sunroof R&R'ed - I'll install those....

Best to all - and my thanks again!!

John
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
:.....Coming surfing this weekend. Gotta stretch her legs
Are you serious??!!! If you are - let's meet up!!! (BTW - that's a LONG drive just to catch a wave??!!!

John
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
John D.
Banned

Well - as an update... After three evenings, just finished putting my sunroof back together, after a total dis-assembly, cleaning, R&R of the cables, liner, etc.. IT WORKS AWESOME - and it actually now lines up with the roofline at full close....!! Just an update

John D.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Cool that you work on your cars yourself. Coming great.

Couldn't make it this weekend. Pulled from the driveway and the dreaded headlights switch problem began.
Shorting, smoke, seized.

Keep up the great upgrade on a great car.

Keep us updated. :-)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Aww shoot - Polo..!!!

You keep us posted on how it's going on your 930 with that pesky electrical problem, OK?? As well - I HATE electrical issues..!!! For example, as I mentioned above, the passenger window wouldn't open & close from the drivers side.....

Soooo - I ordered a new switch... Which didn't fix the problem?? So, back to the diagrams....

The current for the passenger side runs from the DRIVERS side?? So - a few minutes ago when I got home from work, I rewired the PASSENGER side switch - and now BOTH work...??

Who would have guessed that was the "fix"?????!!

Anyway - keep us up to date on your wonderful 930 as well, OK???

John D.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... gorgeous car! Absolutely in my top 2 or 3 of favorite Porsches of all time. That's the one that started my obsession years ago.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Fixing all the little gremlins is the fun part! I had a ball doing that with a 928, and it gives you such a sense of satisfaction to solve a problem & make things work like new again! I have no idea why women aren't impressed when you drag them out to the garage & show them that the dash lights or rear wiper works again! That's major stuff!

Let's see some updated photos!

Quick Reply: '88 930