Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo Spool up whilst changing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Turbo Spool up whilst changing gear?

I have a 1988 3.3 Turbo with a standard 3LDZ turbo, standard intercooler, K+N filter and an adjustable WUR, 0.9 bar boost.
The Filters have just been fitted to allow access to adjust the WUR which has not yet been set up for the car.

I noticed last night that when i drive the car hard through the gears, 2nd to 3rd the turbo take a few seconds to spool up.
If i accelerate in 2nd and change gear at just over 6k rpm into 3rd there is no noticeable pick up in power for a couple of seconds and then it boosts fine.

Is this normal for my set up?
As the WUR has an adjustment for boost threshold can this make a difference or is it just the character of the 3LDZ turbo.

Thanks
TIM
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's a combo of all of the above; 3ldz/IC/WUR adjustmant and ambient temp. Perhaps others could chime in.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drop in boost between shifts is normal. These transmissions don't like to be hurried during shifts, so there's no way around what you are experiencing. A ggod set of headers will help, if you are still using a stock exhaust.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, a 3LDZ stock turbo will fall off in power delivery before 6000 rpms, so don't expect too much in that area. Plus, the stock turbo takes a considerable amount of time to spool up between shifts, vs. the better suited K27 variants. Finally, your AFR's on boost (if you're running with a gauge to monitor and/or record that info) will tell you if you're perhaps too rich when on boost....which can dog your power. What you're experiencing is probably normal.

To gain the best performance possible out of your stock IC and Turbo setup, I would suggest at the very least installing a free-flow after market muffler, if you don't already have one installed that is. Headers will also help, and a cooler air charge (can you say larger IC) also helps.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Mark, Dave,
Thanks for your feedback glad that its probably normal. Boy you really loose out on acceleration times.
I have a Rarly8 muffler which i did have fitted but was too noisy so i have put the standard anchor back on. Everything is stock, was thinking of GSF headers.
My fuelling is rich on boost, 10 AFR, which is why i have the Leask WUR now. It is booked in on the 18th July for a set up, not sure how this will go as the dyno is not designed for a rear engined aircooled car. Cooling could be an issue.

What effect does an sticking or open BOV have on the boost whilst changing gear?

So to sum up, aftermarket Headers, K27-7200 and a bigger IC will dramatically change the car?

Cheers

TIM
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
boosted 89
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timspu
Mark, Dave,
Thanks for your feedback glad that its probably normal. Boy you really loose out on acceleration times.
I have a Rarly8 muffler which i did have fitted but was too noisy so i have put the standard anchor back on. Everything is stock, was thinking of GSF headers.
My fuelling is rich on boost, 10 AFR, which is why i have the Leask WUR now. It is booked in on the 18th July for a set up, not sure how this will go as the dyno is not designed for a rear engined aircooled car. Cooling could be an issue.

What effect does an sticking or open BOV have on the boost whilst changing gear?

So to sum up, aftermarket Headers, K27-7200 and a bigger IC will dramatically change the car?

Cheers

TIM

A sticking bov that is closed will cause a surge type noise..almost like a wuba wuba noise during shifting and an open bov will most likely cause very slow boost responce and possibly low boost pressure.

headers , better turbo and bigger(more efficient) intercooler will wake that baby up dramatically.

Chris

oh...I almost forgot..I'm new here, but not to turbocharged cars.

Last edited by boosted 89; 07-26-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: more
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Chris, Thanks for the response, By your point I have no noise or loss of boost. So sounds normal. Will look at bolt on mods. Thanks
Tim

Quick Reply: Turbo Spool up whilst changing gear?