911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930North's Got a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 AM
930North
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930North's Got a Porsche

I know - you guys thought I was pulling your chain. Here is a quick telephone couple of pictures of my friend's (soon to be mine) Prussian Blue 930 86 Euro. We were at his rental place today and have removed the walls that boxed it in, and the renters junk. It has been sitting for 3 years so will be on a flat deck in the morning and off for a PPI and thorough going over. I did not have time to take any more pics but I swear it looks like a Ruf intercooler but it has no tag on it. It is not the stock one, also got distributorless ignition, adjustable (is it?) boost - retard system, 12 plugs and a borla exhaust. Has 944 "winter" wheels. The Ruf Speedlines are back at his house - I get them as well.
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice, keep us updated.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

VERY NICE! Presumably if it's been twin plugged then likely it has all the bolt-on's, IC, turbo, headers etc? What did that set you back?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Possibility looks great!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM
930North
Intermediate

All the horrible bits of paint is actually sawdust and crap. Was misinformed - not 12 plugs. Owner corrected me - it has a dual spark ignition with separate ignition pack coils. Shocks are starting to seep in the front. Sitting for 3 years so oil is seeping out lotsa seams. LSD is tired. Brakes are ok. Was started up last Thursday but I was not around. Have a written report from Marc at Alpine Autowerks. He says IC looks like an Andial but no label on it for some reason. Couple of more pics in the shop. Wish I had my camera instead of the Blackberry
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 AM
930North
Intermediate

Has a modified K27. Marc looked at that first for a color tag and a number. This guy knows his stuff and he is not super expensive. Feedback is 400HP and Marc agreed that is all you can get with the CIS system without lotsa work. Has headers and aftermarket muffler. Not sure what they are yet. All a big learning curve for this guy used to American stuff. Been doing lots of reading though and have my own hoist to do most of the repairs myself. Believe a lot of the work is accessed from below.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yes, looks like an old Andial or Garrettson, no issue there. As long as the headers aint rusted or cracked, should be in good shape. If you're in need of a muffler I have a not to old Borla, cheap.
I would plan on replacing the shocks and front strut inserts anyway with Bilstien sport, not bad.
Interesting.
Where is the car located?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
930North
Intermediate

The car is in Calgary, AB. I know the complete history of the owners from new for this which I will tell once we have completed the sale - and some decent pictures. Shocks and inserts are my first order of the day. Clean up the paint for now is second as there is the typical road rash below the rockers and at the bottom of the rear flares.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Congrats looks like a great find!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think ya done good. Good luck with her.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
930North
Intermediate

Looks like the boost does not come up more than about 0.3 Bar. So what could this be? Waste gate stuck open or turbo bearing and seal? It has been sitting for 3 years no start. Marc says it is not the motor so has to be the forced induction system. Lots of people out there that do not realise that you have to idle the turbo down otherwise you cook the oil on the bearing which leaves a residue that eventually takes the bearing out. My gut feel here is to simply rebuild the turbo/wastegate. My turbo on my Cummins pickup spins so smooth even after 65000miles on it as I cool it to 300ºF every time before I shut down. Mechanic says you buy a $40k car and usually spend $5k and here we buy a mid $20'sK car and spend $10k. I am prepared to do that as I know who the last/only 3 owners were.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

More than likely seal leaking on the IC.
I would really spend some time diagnosing before throwing parts at it, been there done that.
That front seal on the IC is known to leak. Test it by wrapping the connection with duct tape sealed tight, if it boosts you have your answer.
But really could be anything.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

+1 start with the easy stuff and looking for intake leaks before tearing it down.

If the bearing is gone that bad in the turbo you'll more than likely be getting a lot of smoke and a lot of whistle.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 AM
930North
Intermediate

Sean - it smokes bad and cannot be started inside. Mechanic is driving it again tomorrow regardless of smoke. Said it started perfect two days ago after sitting for 3 years. Could not believe it. They cleaned the entire fuel system out first. Pretty sure turbo is gone but after the drive tomorrow he will do a bore scope and leak down test. Based on that I think I will still take it. But the present owner says he can get $22k for it at an LA dismantler without the Ruf speedlines/P Zero tires which are worth 3500. So he gets his money virtually either way. Mechanic says $2k to rebuild turbo - 800CDN for parts and 6 hours. He must charge like a lawyer. Anyway he said the car feels good when they drove it the other day but would only pull 0.3bar. Yes the intercooler downpipe needs to be loosened and raised as it will leak soon if not done. So the dilemma is - is there a better deal out there? Probably not as we know the history of this car fairly well.
Hint - first owner is an Arab Sheik and tag is in arabic and an english one beside it. Car was imported from Bahrain to Austin when it was new in 86.

On an offnote - Sean have you got an email for this old Hamilton/Taupiri boy expat as I need to talk about something else for NZ.
Barry
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This project will be an adventure that you will never forget. Please keep us posted on further developments.

Quick Reply: 930North's Got a Porsche