911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

89 930 "amplifier" option

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
jhalsey
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 89 930 "amplifier" option

i recently purchased a clean 1989 930 which had a non-original radio. Ordered the COA, determined that orig equipment was a Reno radio and the car was also equipped with an "amplifier system". Ordered the 930 Workshop manual which has a schematic for the radio and amplifier layout. The PO left the radio harness dangling with some wires with their original connectors, others cut off.

I mistakenly bought a Monterey SQR23 and now realize i need a Reno SQR46 which has 4 channels out and a pre-amp output to feed the external amplifier which in turn drives the 4 pairs of speakers. At least that's what the schematic shows.

Before i make another radio mistake, i want to verify that the car has the external amp and that the factory wiring harness is intact or to what extent i need to source connectors and repair it. As Reno's seem to be scarce, may have to consider other, later Blaupunkt head units with pre-amp outputs. Suggestions welcome, want to keep period correct look.

Anyone have familiarity with the "amplifier system" option. where is the amp located in the car? I have 2 speakers in each door and two rear shelf speakers which are about 4x6" rectangular, all appear original. However, schematic shows 4 sets of low and mid range speakers. Maybe there are 2 more speakers in the rear that are not visible or the shelf units are 2 in 1? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhalsey
i recently purchased a clean 1989 930 which had a non-original radio. Ordered the COA, determined that orig equipment was a Reno radio and the car was also equipped with an "amplifier system". Ordered the 930 Workshop manual which has a schematic for the radio and amplifier layout. The PO left the radio harness dangling with some wires with their original connectors, others cut off.

I mistakenly bought a Monterey SQR23 and now realize i need a Reno SQR46 which has 4 channels out and a pre-amp output to feed the external amplifier which in turn drives the 4 pairs of speakers. At least that's what the schematic shows.

Before i make another radio mistake, i want to verify that the car has the external amp and that the factory wiring harness is intact or to what extent i need to source connectors and repair it. As Reno's seem to be scarce, may have to consider other, later Blaupunkt head units with pre-amp outputs. Suggestions welcome, want to keep period correct look.

Anyone have familiarity with the "amplifier system" option. where is the amp located in the car? I have 2 speakers in each door and two rear shelf speakers which are about 4x6" rectangular, all appear original. However, schematic shows 4 sets of low and mid range speakers. Maybe there are 2 more speakers in the rear that are not visible or the shelf units are 2 in 1? Thanks for any help.
What is a radio for in a 930?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to be period correct is to install a vintage Blaupunkt that does not work.

The PO of my 930 installed an Alpine with the typically extremely ugly fascia. However, he ponied up the bucks for Bluetooth, which is great because I only do hands free phones in cars. And motorcycles. I rarely listen to a radio in Porsches, but do have to take the occasional primary spouse unit phone call as a good will gesture.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I looked at my car, I did not see any cut wires. My radio is a FabSpeed dual set up and the base kicks in at 3200 RPM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
I looked at my car, I did not see any cut wires. My radio is a FabSpeed dual set up and the base kicks in at 3200 RPM.
+ 1
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

I have an 89 and will gladly check out the amp and model number if you tell me where it is located! The engine bay and underneath I know well, not so sure about under the seats or boot. I have owned the car for 4 years and other than turning the radio on to make sure it works I have never listened to or looked at the stereo.

Last edited by RobT 394; 04-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
ahenthus
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
What is a radio for in a 930?
I turned mine on once because my wife wanted to listen. She hasn't been invited on too many 930 rides since then. My 87 has a Clarion CD stereo but the PO that did the change left the Reno for subsequent owners. I'll probably put it back in sometime when I have a little time to kill. If it works, fine, if not, fine too.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
jhalsey
Rennlist Member

RobT, i have not searched for the amp yet, assuming it is still in the car. when/if i find it, i will post. Was hoping to talk someone familiar with this option, called "amplifier system" on the COA.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jhalsey
RobT, i have not searched for the amp yet, assuming it is still in the car. when/if i find it, i will post. Was hoping to talk someone familiar with this option, called "amplifier system" on the COA.
Those Germans....what a sense of humor....maybe that really means "sport exhaust"
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Those Germans....what a sense of humor....maybe that really means "sport exhaust"
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Reno would be standard unless you have the CD-1 disc player (new for '89--my 951 came with one.) The amp would be under the passenger seat, and there's a jumper harness that runs from the radio and back to the dash--the speaker leads all originate from the dash.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
jhalsey
Rennlist Member

Thanks, pretty bird! Will check under the passenger seat. The PO kept the orig Reno, he may have also snagged the amp.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
RGlaz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxilary four channel amplifier

Look under the passenger floor board. Pull back the passenger rug carefully lift the plywood foor. That is where my SC has the amplifier. Maybe it is the same for your model. I had to find it because I had a blown speaker from the PO and did a speaker upgrade all around with new wiring. Not an obvious place !

Quick Reply: 89 930 "amplifier" option