911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Rear wheel bearing crush sleeve help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
WillOpie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing crush sleeve help

Hi I am replacing the rear wheel bearings and on dismantling due to slight play and the correct torque the previous replacement bearing outer had picked up on the hub thereby not allowing the bearings to move despite the torque. Well this is the theory but I would like to know if anybody can help with crushed sleeve dimensions from a used spacer. I realise this will vary but it might mean mine can be reused once the hub is fixed. That is if anybody has kept one!
Best
William

82 930
Minerva blue
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my rears as well, about a year ago. mine died because of water intrusion past a bad seal that caused rust.
Anyway, I was able to re-use my spacers by setting the torgue to stock spec.'s, but since the crush sleeve has already been compressed once during the initial factory installation, I understand that it is a total crap shoot, whether or not it will still work with your new bearings.
At $100 a crack for each new crush sleeve, I was willing ti give it a try first. best of luck with yours!
Mark
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Somebody on Pelican haad a thread about this topic, don't recall the outcome. try a search over there.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
fullquack
Racer

I'm not sure if somebody elses post torqued, crush sleeve dimensions, would really be of any help to you.
Every swing arm is machined ever so slightly different, every crush sleeve also has factory tolerances, even the bearings have some factory tolerance variation.
So one guys crush sleeve, will be different than the next guys, sure it may be only .001 or .005 thousands different, but that is enough.
The only true way to know if your are re-usable is to assemble them, torque it, and see.
Mark
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
WillOpie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments appreciate the help. I will probably use a new spacer but what I was trying to establish if the play was caused by the damaged hub not allowing the bearing to move on torquing the nut fully. Your comment Mark on the tolerances mean that I will probably not know. I will check out Pelican too.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
fullquack
Racer

If either the 2 bearings outer race were not properly seated aginst the machined shoulder in the swing arm, then the inner crush sleeve would never even get into contact with the pair of inner bearing races. Thus no amount of torque on the nut would have any affect on the sleeve. What it would do, is apply full torque to the bearings themselves, this would be very bad.
The intent of the crush sleeve is to yield at the proper torque spec., to generate just the correct amount of pre-load on the bearing sets, as it centers the stub axle within the bearings in the swing arm, any error here would put the assembly out of spec.'s.
Mark

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing crush sleeve help