911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Porsche 930 Kokeln & K27 upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
oz 930 turbo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 930 Kokeln & K27 upgrade question

Hi all, Im brand new onto this site and from what I have seen so far, it's very impressive!!
I have recently bought a 1980 porsche 930 that had been sitting in long term storage. I have got the car cleaned up and serviced and it is running like a dream. Included in the sale was a box of upgrades that the previous owner wanted to do but ran out of time and money.
These included a used but very good condition Kokeln intercooler but with no attachment fittings and a K27-7200 turbo unit. The turbo unit has a wired tag on it saying excessive shaft play rebuild required. Also included is a spare waste gate with .8 and 1.0 bar used spring.

Firstly is it worth finishing the project he had started? Will it actually make the car more fun to drive? and if so, is it still possible to get the Kokeln attachment fittings and where can I get the K27 rebuilt.( I spend most of my time around Long beach CAL). I have seen there are a number of options with the rebuild ie garrett GT35 etc. Any tips, help advice would be most appreciated.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other upgrades previously done, or is the car pretty much stock as it is?

To your first question: Yes it is well worth the effort and $$ to complete the upgrades. The 7200 turbo will give you a substantial performance increase (i.e., quicker boost at lower rpms) and the Koklein IC will give you cooler air charge...both of which mean more HP and more responsive engine performance. But I would be remiss if not mentioning that these upgrades won't see their full potential if you're still running with a catalytic converter and stock muffler. Turbo cars need to see as little exhaust back pressure as possible to lessen turbo lag and increase performance. So, make sure part of your equation includes an aftermarket muffler, or at the very least a catalytic converter bypass pipe.

With the aftermarket IC installed, you could probably run up to 1.0 bar boost safely, but I would suggest you take this in steps and worry about increasing boost once everything else is dialed in. When you start getting into the stratosphere of boost, you would be wise to also have an on-board AFR gauge to see that your fuel mixture is adequate on boost, and with that you'll most likely need an adjustable WUR to fine-tune your fueling curve.

So, get the turbo rebuilt and install the Kokeln IC (it should bolt right up, but not sure....need to post some pictures of what you've got so we can help you with what you may need).

You have the performance "GO" parts at your disposal. Use them.....
Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 AM
ahenthus
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,
I also have a very modified 930 that I don't actually know much about. It has an HKS additional injector controller under the dash. I've gotten conflicting advice on what to do with it. I believe it was installed at Steinel's so I'm sure it was done right. I've been told to leave it alone that once set on a dyno it should not be adjusted and I've been told that it can be adjusted "on the fly". The car runs great and I'd be happy except that a young nephew may have fiddled with the ***** a little but I don't know for sure. My concern is not wanting to run it lean and burn a piston or something. I have no information on the HKS unit. On the HKS website they show one with an LED readout. Mine looks totally analog on the front with nothing but five *****. Several are in the pushed in locked state with the others in the out position. I think my best move would be to contact Steinel's and talk about it. Can you point me in a direction or tell me anything about it?
Thanks,
Claude
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 AM
mtnbiker63
Instructor

Claude, I'm not running a HKS. But my controller is also analog. I took my car back to the engine rebuilder and asked about the controller. He said NEVER to adjust the controls. They where set while on the dyno and should only be set that way. So if they have been turned, and you should assume so, then I would have the car re-dyno'd to make sure everything is set as it should.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mark`s advice. I have similar on my car and it is fast..
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahenthus
Mark,
I also have a very modified 930 that I don't actually know much about....HKS AIC...can you point me in a direction or tell me anything about it?
Thanks,
Claude
Claude,

I can't help you much on this one, as I'm not at all familiar with the parameters of the HKS AIC. I once had an Andial additional injector fueler on my car, but it was pretty basic in operation (used a frequency valve instead of an injector, and was simply engaged in response to a user-set boost presssure and adjustable duty cycle of the frequency valve). It was designed specifically to work with CIS injection, not electronic fuel injection.

I would suggest at least getting your hands on the operating manual for your unit, so as to understand what you have. Yes, optimizing the settings is best done on a dyno but not entirely necessary IMHO.....but, you would need some means of monitoring AFR's (on-board gauge at a minimum) to see the effect of tuning the AIC. At this point, since you're not confident if the settings have been changed or how to check/rectify, you would be best to take the car back to the shop that installed it.

I still like your wheels, by the way. Eventually I (and all of us) will be forced away from the stock 16" Fuchs wheels as tires become unobtanium, so having our Fuchs modified for 17" or 18" rims would be cool.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
oz 930 turbo
3rd Gear

Thanks very much for the advice Mark.
The car looks pretty standard. The cats have been done away with, air pump etc and car has a monty exhaust system fitted with twin 100mm pipes, it certainly isn't quiet nor subtle...............but sounds bloody fantastic. I have no idea on the headers, I assume they are just the standard fit. Getting the attachment parts for the Kokeln intercooler I think is going to be a challenge. I have sent off for several quotes to get the K27 rebuilt and have been asked if I want a k27HF or a Garrett R35 cold side..............arrrghh what does it all mean
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ck out pelican parts forum, very good 930 section
all if the Kolken attachments are available
turbokraft can rebuild the 7200 no prob
c
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 AM
AKA930
Instructor

Originally Posted by ahenthus
Mark,
I also have a very modified 930 that I don't actually know much about. It has an HKS additional injector controller under the dash. I've gotten conflicting advice on what to do with it. I believe it was installed at Steinel's so I'm sure it was done right. I've been told to leave it alone that once set on a dyno it should not be adjusted and I've been told that it can be adjusted "on the fly". The car runs great and I'd be happy except that a young nephew may have fiddled with the ***** a little but I don't know for sure. My concern is not wanting to run it lean and burn a piston or something. I have no information on the HKS unit. On the HKS website they show one with an LED readout. Mine looks totally analog on the front with nothing but five *****. Several are in the pushed in locked state with the others in the out position. I think my best move would be to contact Steinel's and talk about it. Can you point me in a direction or tell me anything about it?
Thanks,
Claude
I used to have a HKS AIC on my RX-7 back in the days. It was a nice unit and I believe you can control up to 6 or 8 additional injectors with it. I only had 2 additional ones. I believe it worked off of percentages....like adjusting them to work at 80% duty cycle, etc.

As for the buttons, I would push those other ones in just so they don't get turned so easily. Maybe take a picture of the settings with your phone so you can see where they were before in case they get turned and you'll always have it on you.

Look online for the manual. I'm sure someone has one for you to download. I not, go to one of these import tuner shops and they should be able to tell you more about it. Good luck.....
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by oz 930 turbo
Thanks very much for the advice Mark.
The car looks pretty standard. The cats have been done away with, air pump etc and car has a monty exhaust system fitted with twin 100mm pipes, it certainly isn't quiet nor subtle...............but sounds bloody fantastic. I have no idea on the headers, I assume they are just the standard fit. Getting the attachment parts for the Kokeln intercooler I think is going to be a challenge. I have sent off for several quotes to get the K27 rebuilt and have been asked if I want a k27HF or a Garrett R35 cold side..............arrrghh what does it all mean
fabspeed makes a 1 peice hose that mounts the BOV and replaces the Kokeln beer stein arrangement. Theirs is essentially a modern copy of your IC. I would try them for the attachments.
I would go with a standard k27 7200
GL
c
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on K27 7200 unless you make more changes (i.e cams) a K27HF won't be optimized.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
oz 930 turbo
3rd Gear

Ok great that's what I'll do, a stock 7200 rebuild. Can you recomend a good rebuilder, something around socal would be handy. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

turbokraft
chris carrol
Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oz 930 turbo
Ok great that's what I'll do, a stock 7200 rebuild. Can you recomend a good rebuilder, something around socal would be handy. Thanks again.
I just got mine back from G Pop Shop. It looks new again.

Quick Reply: Porsche 930 Kokeln & K27 upgrade question