911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

The mistress-updated

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Excellent car...but in 2012 you have much better intercooler choices than something designed in the early '80s by RUF especially running 0.9 bar.
Yasin
Your probably right but she runs like a bat out of hell at the moment, so I don't see any reason to go with a bigger intercooler. If some day I decide to move from the Ruf I will go the efi route...thanks again for your input...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
Your probably right but she runs like a bat out of hell at the moment, so I don't see any reason to go with a bigger intercooler. If some day I decide to move from the Ruf I will go the efi route...thanks again for your input...
I know I am right (sounds cocky and arrogant..sorry). I have tested several intercoolers on my 930 and these early units are far undersized \ inefficient compared to today's offerings. They have poor tank and core design, and make for great garage wall decorations.

My '89 with even with the horrid factory OEM intercooler also ran like a bat of hell but it was first "upgrade" for my car (hence the R&D I did). Having ehe "RUF" stuff is nostalgic cool, but you might be better served with other newer options, especially if you do any kind of spirited driving or worse yet, you get caught in slow moving traffic and do not have the surface area to cool the intake charge.

Just trying to help you out and provide some good advice from the school of hard knocks.
Yasin
Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
MSHii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sexy!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slownrusty
I know I am right (sounds cocky and arrogant..sorry). I have tested several intercoolers on my 930 and these early units are far undersized \ inefficient compared to today's offerings. They have poor tank and core design, and make for great garage wall decorations.

My '89 with even with the horrid factory OEM intercooler also ran like a bat of hell but it was first "upgrade" for my car (hence the R&D I did). Having ehe "RUF" stuff is nostalgic cool, but you might be better served with other newer options, especially if you do any kind of spirited driving or worse yet, you get caught in slow moving traffic and do not have the surface area to cool the intake charge.

Just trying to help you out and provide some good advice from the school of hard knocks.

Yasin

Thanks brother..what would be your recommendations?

Originally Posted by MSHii
Sexy!
Thank you
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

For a true bolt in that I personally think is awesome:
http://www.rarelyl8.com/intercoolers.html

Regards - Yasin
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
Thats a fact Jack !
Oh really. <ahem>
Apparently yawl never had one.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM
mooney265
AutoX

You did a great job cleaning that car up!! I just purchased a Borla, and was wondering if you could send a picture of the "strap" holding it to the bracket?

Thanks, Shannon
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the rarely8
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooney265
You did a great job cleaning that car up!! I just purchased a Borla, and was wondering if you could send a picture of the "strap" holding it to the bracket?

Thanks, Shannon
Hey Shannon

At the moment my muffler is off, hopefully I should be installing on wednesday or Thursday..I will take pics then. Just so you know the borla only uses the one strap(stock mounting). Two straps not needed.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM
mooney265
AutoX

thanks! looking forward to the pics...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the exhaust. What exactly did you use to refinish it to matte black?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Car looks great! I would definitely keep the RUF intercooler. Any of the other bolt on options would be a marginal improvement, and
you'll lose the exclusiveness and rarity of the RUF components.

If you talk to people with actual 935 racing experience, like James Patrick, they'll recommend the B&B as a bolt on replacement. If you need more I would give him a call, he's a wealth of information on these cars.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svb
Love the exhaust. What exactly did you use to refinish it to matte black?
I took it to these guys and they used an exhaust coating..looks very nice http://www.grandstanddesigns.com/cmsms/home.html
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Car looks great! I would definitely keep the RUF intercooler. Any of the other bolt on options would be a marginal improvement, and
you'll lose the exclusiveness and rarity of the RUF components.

If you talk to people with actual 935 racing experience, like James Patrick, they'll recommend the B&B as a bolt on replacement. If you need more I would give him a call, he's a wealth of information on these cars.
For now I will stay with the RUF. I don't have any plans to change it in the near future. In fact a new intercooler(IMO)may change my current dynamics. Unless I'm ready to invest in other components(to take full advantage of the new intercooler) I don't see a need but I appreciate any input/advice...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Originally Posted by speednme
For now I will stay with the RUF. I don't have any plans to change it in the near future. In fact a new intercooler(IMO)may change my current dynamics. Unless I'm ready to invest in other components(to take full advantage of the new intercooler) I don't see a need but I appreciate any input/advice...
Good on you for sticking with RUF. I am a fan of the old school so I 100% support the spirit of your choices. You have an old school car so it makes sense to stick with old school components. It is kind of like amplification for guitar/bass... new solid state tech is better on paper, but there is just something that an old tube amp has in personality. Call it mojo.

There is always something out there that is newer and shinier and "better" but if you were after that kind of car you would own a modern turbo, and not be putting classic Ruf parts on a classic Turbo that will try and kill you should you get lazy while driving hard.

I dig. Your car looks incredible, and classic RUF parts would be the only parts I would personally add for reasons of history (The Yellow Bird and stock Turbo were dream cars of mine as a kid).

But then I am a sentimental guy when it comes to cars and musical instruments.

Quick Reply: The mistress-updated