911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Color Match

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 AM
tom231
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Match

Good morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

I was wondering if there was a way to get the Paint Code for Prussian Blue. I may need to respray a hood.
This blue has different hues in different lights and I would think it would be difficult to match.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Tom
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
Good morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

I was wondering if there was a way to get the Paint Code for Prussian Blue. I may need to respray a hood.
This blue has different hues in different lights and I would think it would be difficult to match.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Tom
Should be on the door jamb.

Is it 33K?

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 11-24-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
964speed
Pro

If that is a factory color - you can go to Porsche and give the Model and year , they should be able to give you the code.

other wise I'd go to a good body shop, they should be able to color match the paint.

some of these body shops have crazy paint systems that can make or match almost anything.

Good luck ! Post some pics....
Old 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM
930North
Intermediate

Best way to match is to go to those body shops with the electronic analyzer that takes fade into account. they are really close. And a word to the wise - in Canada we have water based colours taking over for environmental reasons. So buy the paint you need now as I believe some states are already mandated to water based only.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

If it's simply the code you are after try looking under the trunk carpet on the passengers side fender for the label. Easier yet just go to paintscratch.com

They show it as 33X. Are you doing the work yourself?

Either way a big word of warning. Don't just trust the code itself. On some (not all) colors, paint mixed to the formulations defined by certain codes are different today than they were originally. Something about the formulations being picked up by different suppliers. I encountered this with my '84 Carrera in Kiln Red. I had three separate places mix paint for me that in each case was the same to each other but also strikingly different than the original paint on the car. I am not talking about fade here but a different color. So be careful.

Hopefully this won't be the case for you. I would concur with just letting the body shop who will work with a paint supplier use their analyzer. Hopefully they will find a direct match to the code in their database. With my Kiln Red car they never got it exact but really close with the closest match being to a Honda color from a while ago. Good luck, Prussian Blue is a beautiful color!

Quick Reply: Color Match