Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 turbo buying tips (a compilation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 turbo buying tips (a compilation)

930 turbo buying tips:

This is a compilation of some of what I have gathered on this forum (all comments copied and pasted from Pelican Parts and Rennlist, sometimes paraphrased, only quoted to individuals as of 12/10/2011). Any additions(critique) are welcome and I will alter/add as appropriate.

Know the car:

- A PPI with compression and leakdown test is naturally your best insurance

- when was the last engine rebuild? How close are you until another? (see above)

- Ignition timing is critical, good AFRs are critical, a properly functioning wastegate is critical.

- be cautious of a Turbo that had adjustable boost without some allowances made for the possibility of needing an engine rebuild

- Look for oil leaks that might be an indication of higher than average engine & oil temperatures and could suggest this car led a hard life, thus far.
- "when I bought the car it had oil leaks and still has oil leaks, this is an inherent problem with these cars and DOES NOT indicate higher average enginer or oil temperatures or a hard life." (slownrusty)

- Very low or high mileage does not make a good or bad car, but each comes with risks (or benefits).

- A seller with extensive service records does not guarantee a good car, but at least you can evaluate/review what has and has not been done for yourself.

- performance upgrades (increased hp, larger turbo, lowered suspension, etc) are a warning that the car may have run a hard life. Investigate appropriately as increased power results in increased wear, and lower lifespan of certain parts.

- "there is nothing wrong with a car that has been run hard and "maintained", these cars are designed and built for that specific use. A neglected car is another story." (slownrusty)

- "drive it like you stole it .... if the owner isn't willing to let you drive it with a little gusto (or a lot), then have him flog it with you along for the ride. I think the tendency is to baby the car on a test drive because the car seems kind of precious and it isn't yours. You should see full boost, full RPM, and Autobahn speeds to know it wont blow up or rattle itself to pieces." (mcguff73)

Know the owner(s):

- Study the owner closely and see if they are knowledgeable about every part of their car or only how cool it is and how fast it drives. They will not have a clue about air/fuel ratio and on these cars that is life or death.
- Ask them how they shift their cars and why and when.
- Ask them the fluids they put into them.
- Ask them about any mods or upgrades they have done or had done.
- Ask them how they use the car and how many miles they put on it at one time. In other words find out if they go to dinner once a week in it or if they slip away and find a back road and run the **** out of it.

- "Not all owners are super knowledgeable on the 930 but that doesn't mean they haven't cared for the car in the right way. Some people just prefer to let the experts handle the tuning and modifications. As with any purchase due diligence is the key. In the end it is all about minimizing risk...but risk nonetheless." (speednme)

- "When I buy any car I like to talk to the owner a bit about stuff not related to the car, I ask stuff like how long has he lived here (lets you know where the car has been) what do you do for a living (lets you know if he could afford maintenence and repairs) and also to get a general feel for the guy, is he a BS'er. If he sounds like a flake off topic you can bet he's going to not be truthfull when he's talking about the car." (s_morrison57)

And in summary...

- "Be prepared to pay for a nice low mile car that meets your criteria. I wouldn't get too hung up trying to find a perfect car on all counts, you may never find it, be ready to compromise if you have to" (TT Surgeon)

- "I know this is harsh but your post has a bunch of useless generalizations." (slownrusty)

Good luck searching!

Last edited by Gliding_Serpent; 10-12-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: updated with feedback
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The other thing I would say is, be prepared to pay for a nice low mile car that meets your criteria.
I wouldn't get too hung up trying to find a perfect car on all counts, you may never find it, be ready to compromise if you have to.
good hunting
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The other thing I would say is, be prepared to pay for a nice low mile car that meets your criteria.
I wouldn't get too hung up trying to find a perfect car on all counts, you may never find it, be ready to compromise if you have to.
good hunting
You hit the nail on the head..a perfect car may not be out there..regardless of how great it passes a ppi. We need to keep in mind that some of these cars are classified as historic and there will always be work to be done. Now how much work should reflect the price(not always the case though).

Honesty is the best policy(sometimes hard to find). Not all owners are super knowledgeable on the 930 but that doesn't mean they haven't cared for the car in the right way. Some people just prefer to let the experts handle the tuning and modifications. As with any purchase due diligence is the key. In the end it is all about minimizing risk...but risk nonetheless.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 AM
mcguff73
Track Day

"drive it like you stole it" .... if the owner isn't willing to let you drive it with a little gusto (or a lot), then have him flog it with you along for the ride. I think the tendency is to baby the car on a test drive because the car seems kind of precious and it isn't yours. You should see full boost, full RPM, and Autobahn speeds to know it wont blow up or rattle itself to pieces.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I agree.

I never knew how much I scared my passengers while out on a sprited drive until I was a passenger on a spirited drive in my car. I thought I was going to pull the door handle off and kick through the floor panels. I love my 930 even more now!

Now I know why the ignition key is located at the farthest position from your passenger's reach !
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliding_Serpent
930 turbo buying tips:

This is a compilation of some of what I have gathered on this forum. Any additions are welcome and I will alter/add as appropriate.

- A PPI with compression and leakdown test is naturally your best insurance

- when was the last engine rebuild? How close are you until another? (see above)

- Ignition timing is critical, good AFRs are critical, a properly functioning wastegate is critical.

- Study the owner closely and see if they are knowledgeable about every part of their car or only how cool it is and how fast it drives. They will not have a clue about air/fuel ratio and on these cars that is life or death.
- Ask them how they shift their cars and why and when.
- Ask them the fluids they put into them.
- Ask them about any mods or upgrades they have done or had done.
- Ask them how they use the car and how many miles they put on it at one time. In other words find out if they go to dinner once a week in it or if they slip away and find a back road and run the **** out of it.

- performance upgrades (increased hp, larger turbo, lowered suspension, etc) are a warning that the car may have run a hard life. Investigate appropriately as increased power results in increased wear, and lower lifespan of certain parts.

- be cautious of a Turbo that had adjustable boost without some allowances made for the possibility of needing an engine rebuild

- Look for oil leaks that might be an indication of higher than average engine & oil temperatures and could suggest this car led a hard life, thus far.

- Very low or high mileage does not make a good or bad car, but each comes with risks.

- A seller with extensive service records does not guarantee a good car, but at least you can evaluate/review what has and has not been done for yourself.
Not sure who you are or the reason for your somewhat useless post.

Firstly, I have owned my 930 for 7-years it was bone stock that I purchased from the original owner, when I bought the car it had oil leaks and still has oil leaks, this is an inherent problem with these cars and DOES NOT indicate higher average enginer or oil temperatures or a hard life.

Secondly, my car is modified (suspension, turbo, intercooler, exhaust etc upgrades) all by me and all at home, my car has led a very gentle and pampered life and "performance upgrades" as you call it is NOT an indication of a car that has had a hard life. Most owners upgrade their cars to bring them up to more modern standards of performance and make ownership an even more enjoyable experience.

Thirdly there is nothing wrong with a car that has been run hard and "maintained", these cars are designed and built for that specific use. A neglected car is another story.

I know this is harsh but your post has a bunch of useless generalizations.
Yasin

Last edited by slownrusty; 10-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yasin is pretty spot on I'm afraid.
Like I said, the car the OP is looking for probably doesn't exist.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
s_morrison57
4th Gear

When I buy any car I like to talk to the owner a bit about stuff not related to the car, I ask stuff like how long has he lived here (lets you know where the car has been) what do you do for a living (lets you know if he could afford maintenence and repairs) and also to get a general feel for the guy, is he a BS'er. If he sounds like a flake off topic you can bet he's going to not be truthfull when he's talking about the car.
Finn
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Not sure who you are or the reason for your somewhat useless post.
Yikes. John is the name and I am doing some research to buy a 930. I have mostly been browsing and searching the forums, increasing my knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the 930. My list is what I have gathered on this forum from fellow members in other threads in this forum (some pelican parts, some paraphrased). Through my reading I would just copy and paste... thus the compilation as I found no one single all-encompassing thread, so I pooled it.

Like you, I can't say I agree with everything I have found, and any piece of advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but this is the opportunity to hopefully discuss some of the points civilly. So I guess this is the point of the post, and I appreciate (the constructive aspects of) your feedback.

Firstly, I have owned my 930 for 7-years it was bone stock that I purchased from the original owner, when I bought the car it had oil leaks and still has oil leaks, this is an inherent problem with these cars and DOES NOT indicate higher average enginer or oil temperatures or a hard life.
We agree on your point, but the comment I had posted said... "Look for oil leaks that MIGHT be an indication of higher than average engine & oil temperatures and COULD SUGGEST this car led a hard life, thus far."

Secondly, my car is modified (suspension, turbo, intercooler, exhaust etc upgrades) all by me and all at home, my car has led a very gentle and pampered life and "performance upgrades" as you call it is NOT an indication of a car that has had a hard life. Most owners upgrade their cars to bring them up to more modern standards of performance and make ownership an even more enjoyable experience.
Again we seem to think similarly and I can't disagree with any of your points... each car is unique and has different care and "performance upgrades" do not mean abuse. But... the point in my list said "performance upgrades (increased hp, larger turbo, lowered suspension, etc) ARE A WARNING that the car MAY have run a hard life. INVESTIGATE APPROPRIATELY as increased power results in increased wear, and lower lifespan of certain parts."

Thirdly there is nothing wrong with a car that has been run hard and "maintained", these cars are designed and built for that specific use. A neglected car is another story.
Absolutely. We are not so different in views, even if we don't know each-other. The maintenance and overall care is key. As one point in the list mentioned, high or low mileage is not necessarily a good, or bad thing. It all depends.

I know this is harsh but your post has a bunch of useless generalizations.
Yasin
Did you just make a useless generalization yourself? No worries on being harsh, I'm a big boy. Your point is well taken by most I am sure. Useless would be not to discuss. Plus generalizations from my list came from personal experiences I am sure. I think we all know to take them for what they are. As others have hinted, if we all took these generalizations as 100% literal truths, not one more 930 would sell... because no car would be "perfect," because none are at the current age. Still, they are points that I would argue help one direct their evaluation of a car, and it's unique positives and negatives.

Last edited by Gliding_Serpent; 10-13-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Like I said, the car the OP is looking for probably doesn't exist.
We can agree that there is no perfect vintage car, outside of the Ralf Lauren collection... But this list is not my criterion to buy, they are just (starting) points to ponder to educate and help one evaluate and compare cars.

Just like life... if we knew all the risks we would never leave our homes... just like someone trying to find the "perfect" vintage car will never find it.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

To the OP(John) i dig your compilation...your on the right track. Research is the key to hopefully a non regrettable purchase. The forums are here and open for discussions. Keep up the good work.

Good luck on your search.

p.s. I remember seeing photos of Ralph Laurens Mclaren f1 with road chips/rash in the front. Keep in mind...the perfect car is the car that doesn't get driven..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Originally Posted by speednme
p.s. I remember seeing photos of Ralph Laurens Mclaren f1 with road chips/rash in the front. Keep in mind...the perfect car is the car that doesn't get driven..
Was it the orange one? I saw his cars at the Louvre this summer. Admittedly I did not notice the road rash, but details are hard to see when you are in awe (the Atlantic, D type, and 250 GTO had me)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Honestly I can't remember but in was in one of the mags a fe years back. I remember thinking that was pretty cool. I'm sure by now it's been painted....
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
mcguff73
Track Day

Wow, who pissed in his cereal? Not saying the OP was right, but that was a BS response
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine because it was by far the fastest of all the other 930s I drove while looking for one to buy. Mods-suspension etc.yes, raced at FL airport races yes.. low mileage(but with race cars it`s a few miles at a time) but I have a Brother in Law with over 300,000 on his and it is still rocking so that did not really figure in.. PPI essential..but the fastest counts in thrill rides..

Quick Reply: 930 turbo buying tips (a compilation)