Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 turbo buying tips (a compilation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

You guys are talking about buying cars that are between 21 and 34 years old. They will generally ALL need something. but a couple points.

Nobody who is looking to buy my car is going on "autobahn" speed test drives, or rides for that matter. They can feel free to check acceleration in lower gears and highway vibrations/stability, but there will be no 120+mph runs. I don't know these people from a hole in a wall, who knows if they can handle that speed.

2. If anybody started asking me about what I did and how long I've lived where I have, I would politely suggest they mind their business. Maybe I'm a turnip farmer or maybe I'm a CEO...what does that have to do with the car?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Nobody who is looking to buy my car is going on "autobahn" speed test drives, or rides for that matter. They can feel free to check acceleration in lower gears and highway vibrations/stability, but there will be no 120+mph runs. I don't know these people from a hole in a wall, who knows if they can handle that speed.

2. If anybody started asking me about what I did and how long I've lived where I have, I would politely suggest they mind their business. Maybe I'm a turnip farmer or maybe I'm a CEO...what does that have to do with the car?
Agree on the first one.....and definetly agree on the second one..
Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Maybe I am the CEO of a Turnip Farm...(good one Quad!)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 AM
zakthor
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this thread is a great idea. Bucket of suggestions is better than nothing.

I 'd have a problem with test driver hitting the boost at all, especially in lower gears where its frightening and most likely to fling them off the road. Hopefully owner can demo for you?

All the 930s I test drove had horrible suspension setup. Horrible and owners had no clue. All of them from poor and abused to mint low mile to heavily modified. Ride height too high, bushings shot, shocks toast or not matching the torsion bars. Fixing suspension is only 2-3k so don't stress about it, but it wracks the mind that they'd drive the car like that. Get it done asap. The 930 handling can be wonderful (until you lose the back end).

My big contribution: research a local restoration or body shop, someone that knows their bondo and can do perfect paint. Once you're convinced they know what they're doing, bring candidate cars by. Its like a ppi specifically for paint and hidden repairs. Good shop can spot stuff thats invisible to mortals. In my case he noticed a bad job replacing rear quarter panel which had led to rust. They can find rust and that repair comes out of the purchase price (or makes you run).
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zakthor
I think this thread is a great idea. Bucket of suggestions is better than nothing.

My big contribution: research a local restoration or body shop, someone that knows their bondo and can do perfect paint. Once you're convinced they know what they're doing, bring candidate cars by. Its like a ppi specifically for paint and hidden repairs. Good shop can spot stuff thats invisible to mortals. In my case he noticed a bad job replacing rear quarter panel which had led to rust. They can find rust and that repair comes out of the purchase price (or makes you run).
Great idea! You can fix most anything except a origional body, they only come around once.

Quick Reply: 930 turbo buying tips (a compilation)