911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Think i found my battery drain but not sure where to go from here

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think i found my battery drain but not sure where to go from here

87 930. No aftermarket electronics. Key out and off and doors shut I can still operate both Windows. Do I have a problem?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
spyder348
Pro

Did a lot of searching in the 911 forum. So I'm working with door switches Door switch relay and power window relay. One more bit of info. Is that the interior lights won't come on with door open or closed. So far I am thinking of a door switch problem not ever grounding which would make lights inoperative and not sending the signal to the relay to shut off. What do you all think? How do I test/remove the door switches? Where are the power window and door switch relays?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
spyder348
Pro

Ok so the answer for the battery drain, no interior lights, and operation of Windows and sunroof all the time was both door switches being dirty and not making good contact. I'm sure this will help others in the future.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

The switches are not your problem. You have to find out why they are getting power when the car is off. When the car is turned off the switches loose power. If they are getting power when the car is off it has to be something else. The relays are where the fuse box is. I would first take a test light go to the window fuse and see if it is getting power when the car is off. If it is it could be the ignition switch not turning off the accesory wire at the key cylinder. If someone could tell you whatcolor acc power is, you can see it right under the dash and put a test light or multi meter on it to see if it is turning off with the key. The other thing would be the relay sticking and staying on. As far as dome light. The pin swithes are probably your problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder348
Ok so the answer for the battery drain, no interior lights, and operation of Windows and sunroof all the time was both door switches being dirty and not making good contact. I'm sure this will help others in the future.
So are you saying that after cleaning your dirty door switches, you now have proper operation of the windows and sunroof (i.e., they now operate only when the key is on)? Mysterious....

At one point years ago I mapped out each fused circuit as to it's current draw with the key off (damned if I can find the posting, though). I was chasing about a 300 milliamp phantom draw and simply put an ammeter in-line with the battery to measure each fused circuit (engine bay as well as up front fuse boxes). I just kept pulling fuses until the draw droped to zero (ignoring the radio and clock current draw). Eventually it pointed to the circuit controled by one of the two fuses in the engine bay. Using that approach at least narrows down the possibilities. Discovering what those two fuses control is another issue since there isn't a cute little chart as you would find under the lid to the front fuse compartment.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
spyder348
Pro

Jbrown no I meant that it was dirty switches. Everything is fixed now. I talked to a buddy of mine at the ferrari dealer. They do all European work he said those wires running to the switches are always hot. What happens is the relays get a signal from when 1 of the switches are grounded meaning door open and that's what shuts down the relays. Battery draw is now 20 ma. Awesome huh.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

wow. I didn't know that they started doing that so early (80's). I thought the older cars lost power to the windows with ignition turned off. You learn something new everyday. My car is an 83. Mine drops power to the switches with the igniton switch. Mine is also a 83sc cab. maybe that makes a difference.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
spyder348
Pro

Mine is an 87 maybe they did it in the later years. Also read the manual and it says after taking key out power remains until 1 door is open.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if that switch is bad the car thinks door is closed and the battery drains
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 PM
spyder348
Pro

Yep the car sees the doors never opening after the ignition is turned off.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder348
Yep the car sees the doors never opening after the ignition is turned off.
This has been an interesting thread. I don't understand, though, about the door switch never grounding which results in the relay not shutting off...to mee that's bass-ackwards. Seems to me that typical relay wiring would have the relay tied into a ground somewhere (such as a door switch) such that when it's grounded it energizes the relay coil to throw the contacts closed and thus light up the dome lights, etc. So when the ground is lost (i.e., the door is closed and the door switch opens), the relay should shut off (de-energize the coil and open the contacts) to cease to power the lights. If your lights remained on with the door closed, that would say that the ground contact was never broken (the switch is stuck).

What you all are saying is directly opposite of what I've just said. Apparently the relay coil is energized as soon as you start the car with the doors closed, and there is a timed circuit (1 minute??) after shutting the car off that if it doesn't see the ground return (as when opening the door) because of a dirty switch, then the relay stays hot. What a stupid setup, in my mind.

Anyway, the moral: When shutting her down for the day and exiting the cabin, take time to notice that the dome light comes on when opening the door. That should assure than when you close the door, the relay will de-energize and you won't drain the battery.

Did I capture this correctly?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
spyder348
Pro

Exactly if your interior lights come on when you open the door your good or make it a habit to hit a window switch when you get out and make sure the Windows don't work.

Quick Reply: Think i found my battery drain but not sure where to go from here