Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Radio has sound for a second then nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio has sound for a second then nothing.

87 930 factory blaupunkt radio with tape. Radio turns on all functions and buttons work. Sound comes out for 2 seconds then nothing. Bad radio? The system have an amp? Is the easy and best fix to put an aftermarket cd player in it?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

It could be the radio, amp or 1 of the speakers. Sounds like the system is alittle old. If you dont car about the factory radio, I would replace it with a new cd unit. That will not definitly fix your problem though. I would go to the amp and ohm out the speakers. See if they are good. If you have a bad speaker it will put the amplifier into protection. You should be able to see that on the amp. Most amps have a power lite. Watch the light when you turn on the stereo see if it goes to one color (green) and when the sound cuts out it will change color(red). If it does it sees a dead speaker or a short in the speaker wires. They are so many things that could cause your issue. Any good stereo shop should be able to diagnose the problem within a 1/2 and it shouldn,t cost more than about 50.00.
Then take it from there. I hope that helps alittle.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spyder348
87 930 factory blaupunkt radio with tape. Radio turns on all functions and buttons work. Sound comes out for 2 seconds then nothing. Bad radio? The system have an amp? Is the easy and best fix to put an aftermarket cd player in it?
what model blaupunkt is it please?
looking for an original toronto
Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
spyder348
Pro

I can't take it to a radio shop because I wouldn't trust someone else around here. Great idea and that's probably the best way but ill get the satisfaction if I do it myself. I do understand everything your saying about the amp and the signal light. Where is the amp? I bet its 1 bad speaker. If I find the amp I can ohm the speakers from there. What do I check to see if its a toronto? It has tape and a little blue on it. I can check when I get home.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Before you start pulling things apart the very first thing to check is the voltage getting to the radio. run a jumper wire to the red power wire on the radio side of the connector and run a temp ground wire to the frame of the radio to make sure that it is getting normal power. I have found that on these old cars that the connectors are getting old and a little too much resistance can really change how things work or not work at all. If it is ok then go to the next step. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Believe it or not on my duallie chevy truck I had this exact issue and it was the ground on the battery.
Once the radio cut on it just cut right back out until all terminals had been cleaned and securely re-
attached.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I thought it had an amp. Is it a stock system? or is it an aftermarket amp. Or are you saying you dont know if there is an amp. I would need a little more info on whats in there and I can tell you a couple of quick things to check. You are right about where to check the speakers. You want to go to the amp. You dont want to take each one out to check them. If they are origninal I would replace them all. Even if the speakers look good the voice coils go bad after a long period of time. 99% of the cars I check the system loosing sound after initial turn on is a bad speaker that is clipping the amp in the radio or external amp. That does not mean it is something else. It could be a ground or power problem but that is very rare specially if the radio is staying on, but that is the easiest check to do first.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
spyder348
Pro

The stereo system is stock. I think the unit says blaupunkt reno on the front. Stock system have an amp? If it does not I geuss ill check at the back of the radio.1 bad speaker putting it in limp mode makes sense. My battery and cables going to it are in great shape. Doesn't mean there is not high resistance in the connectors at the back of the radio. How does the radio come out? Just 4 pins in the slots and pop it out? Crutchfield has a nice 15 dollar connector kit for a 930 to make cd player install very simple. If a reno radio isn't worth anything I might put cd unit in because I only listen to cds never the radio.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Renos sell for a good bit if they work because of the OEM nuts. They will pay big bucks to get their car back to OEM standards. I know because I sold mine to such a person and it had a cassette player in it!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I would hold on to the stock radio. That radio will be worth alot of money one day for the people who are restoring those cars to original specs. I would put a new cd unit in there it is really easy with the harness from Crutchfield. The only thing is I am not sure if it is amplified. The ones I have worked on where not. What year is it. If you dont have a amplifier take the radio out and check everything behind it.
I am pretty sure you will need the blaupunkt removal keys to take the radio out. Dont try to do it without them , I see people do that all the time and all they do is mangle the radio. If the speakers check out good, I would also check to make sure you dont have a ground short in one of the speaker leads also. I seen that on alot of older cars. The speaker lead brakes in the door and touches ground it will do the same thing. It is easy to do. Take all the speaker leads and check to see if any read a ground. If you have a power probe it is easy.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

One other thing when you pull the radio out you can usually tell if it is amplified or not buy looking at the radio. Most older radios with the amp built in have heat sinks on the bank of side of them. Also you will see 4 speaker leads on the radio if it is not amplified. Most older amped systems used a din cable to run signal to the amp. So look for a round 1/2 inch or alittle larger cable that is plugged into the radio, then it is amplified and you are not going to be able to just plug in the new radio. You are going to have some work ahead of you so hope it is not amped.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
spyder348
Pro

Ok yes its a factory reno with cassette. I have the booklet that came with the car. I do not think its amped because there are 4 round diff. Color 2 wire connectors on the back. I geuss I should carefully pull the radio and ohm out speaker leads. Not sure but I know I should be somewhere around 5 to 10 ohms for each speaker. Hey if I get it working I could put one of those tapes with a 3.5 plug in to keep on an ipod?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

You should really stop at a good shop and look at the new headunits. You can get direct ipod controll, blue tooth, cd, am, fm, HD radio, all in a din radio that will drop right into the factory slot. The speakers by the way should ohm out at 4 ohm. They may vary alittle bit. I would bet it is just a dead amp in the radio.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
spyder348
Pro

J I agree with the dead amp thing toggling the one/volume **** I think I hear some noises and static from all the speakers. I geuss if I put a new unit in 1 bad speaker won't shut it down and I could def then locate a speaker problem.

Quick Reply: Radio has sound for a second then nothing.