911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Zork Tube ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zork Tube ?'s

Thinking about installing a zork tube instead of my huge quiet sounding dansk. I have an 87 930 with GHL headers. Stock 3ldz turbo. High flow air filter. Lindsey BOV and Lindsey custom half bay IC tuned and set at 13 psi by stan at rennsport. I want to install a zork tube for the sound and reduced turbo lag. My ?'s are

-will this really affect the tune and cause damage to my engine even if im on the richer side of things right now?

-does the small zork tube need any additional mounting besides the turbo?

-where is the best place to purchase? burseth fabspeed?

-is there a zork tube that would exit on factory drivers side exhaust hole? or only in the middle under the liscense plate?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I would do would be to get rid of the 3LDZ. Afterall, you've got everything else that together makes a fine running car, but to really gain anything with the zork (such as quicker spool), you need a turbo that's capable of quicker spool. Unless you're just looking for some noise, that is.....

I mean, I guess I've never heard of anyone that's gone throught the effort and expense to install headers, larger intercooler, etc. and yet still run with the stock turbo. Not that it's a necessity, but it would round out and balance the entire build and really wake things up. Throw a zork in the equation to compound the affect.

I haven't heard of a zork that exits through the stock valence openings. Heck, you could probably get a muffler shop to build/bend a piece of muffler pipe to exit where you want.

As to damaging your engine....not to worry. You may want to do some minor tuning after installing, but don't expect to see huge swings in your AFR's a the result of the zork. You'll spool quicker, and your WUR will enrichen quicker at a lower RPM because it will see the full boost signal a bit sooner.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

for what you are trying to do, i would suggest you go to the pelican parts 930 board. there is a gentleman on at that board (rarelyl8) that can help you out. actaully looking at rarelyl8's website, he can rebuild the stock 3ldz to spool quicker if that is the route you want to go..... vs a k27. i have no affiliation w/ him but he sems to have an excellent reputation in the 930 community.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
spyder348
Pro

Thank you for the info. The reason I still have the stock turbo is I like the power I have and the turbo is in great shape. I want to make at least 300 HP 300 tq. Looks like with a Zork and maybe the fabspeed intake along with the mods I already have I could make around 310-320 in HP and tq. I will be more than happy with that. I appreciate the advice but just want all stock except some bolt ons that can easily be switched out.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Bob Kontak
AutoX

FWIW - The spelling of the PP user name is rarlyl8 - no e.

Here is one of his PP threads.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...dy-wheels.html
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Brian (rarlyl8) can hook you up with whatever you need. Some real fine craftsmanship. We on the Pelican board hold him in high esteem.

If all (all???) you're looking for is to get around 300 hp, you're probably already there or beyond. 1987 comes stock with something like 282 horses. Throw a header on and get rid of the catalytic converter, larger IC, less restrictive air cleaner, and a less restrictive muffler (you didn't mention what you're running for a muff), about what's left from a bolt-on standpoint is to get a more effiicient turbo for quicker spooling and/or better holding at higher rpms, and some fueling changes to maximize your hp and torque. And perhaps run with more ignition advance to sweeten up the mid-range.

Unless you have your mind set on a zork, consider Brian's various mufflers which will give you the benefit of a straight through design without the track-car and neighbor rattling sound of a zork.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

Someone emailed me this thread; hope I can help without attracting the moderator's wrath.
Is this what you are looking for? This one is adjustable and 321 stainless. The system is componential, the bypass pipe replaces the muffler body. If you want to do it on the cheap, have your local muffler shop bend one in aluminized steel.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 AM
spyder348
Pro

Hey whats up. Looked on your website earlier to see if you were selling a piece like in the picture. That's funny. Thanks for the post. Yeah that looks ideal so it can exit the side like stock. Do you sell that?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
spyder348
Pro

I ordered today the zork and the intake kit(filter) from joe at fabspeed. He said they are both a very easy install and with my mods i should be looking around 320 hp and the same for tq.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I had the zork tube and I loved the sound but I had a problem with it spiking my boost to about 16lbs.
So I took it off.. I have alot more work into my engine. I am using a k27hf and GHL exhaust ,
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
cardsrule
Pro

I think the best reason to run the zork (I have one on my 930) is loosing the weight off of the back end. The more weight you can get off the back the better....

It sounds good in the car, it is loud outside of the car, something to think about.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
spyder348
Pro

Thanks for all the replys. Boost spike uh ohhh. Well my wg and dv are functioning properly so hopefully I have better luck. Less weight is a plus. My neighbors hate me allready for being a drummer. This should be good.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
spyder348
Pro

Also if anyone hates their Zork and wants a good deal on a dansk stainless dual outlet muffler that's nice and quiet let me know.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

My WG and DV work fine also. You might want to ask around. I think it has something to do with the GHL exhaust.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I also have a K27HF, I dont know if that would make a differnence. Plus my motor is a 3.5 with sc cams also. Maybe the combination makes a difference. I do like the sound of the zork.

Quick Reply: Zork Tube ?'s