911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Detroit indie

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Detroit indie

Well, I have moved to the MotorCity area. Any recommendations for an indie wrench?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

I was always happy with AutoEurope (rob schick). They have a sales spot at Adams Rd and Woodward, and the shop is on Eaton Street about a mile away. Monks Motors is not easy to get to, but others liked them too. I also used Nikolas Motorsports for some custom fabrication work. Slow, but that guy is a master craftsman in my opinion, and several people have commented on the work he did on my intercooler and throttle body. I moved away 5 years ago, so my info is dated a bit. Do not, and I repeat do not, go to your local dealers, especially Lavery on Woodward.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Area shops

Hey welcome to the D!

Before I started wrenching on my 930 I went to Nikolas Motorsports. Run by two brothers and they do very good work. THe front man is very nice but the guy doing the work doesn't like to talk about his work or your car. Very short answers.

Stay away from Munks (IMO). Nice guys but always trying to find something wrong for them to fix (gotta make a living I guess)

Gilson Motorsports is also very reputable. Very knowledgeable and good to talk to. Loves Porsches and is great to talk to.

Stay away from AutoEurope unless you have ALOT of money to drop. Over priced (IMO)

There is another guy in Farmington Hills (forgot his name and shop name) but stay away from him to. He replaced a trans seal on my 930 and the next week my engine was making loud noises and required me to rebuild it. Coincidence maybe.

I ended up rebuilding it myself so now I think I can do anything. I still stop and talk to Gilson about questions that I have and he is very willing to talk and help me out. If I ever need someone to do the work for me again I'll try their first.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
camboinc
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the group! I've had my 930 for 10 years and have been to Munks, Nikolas (David Nikolas is my neighbor and our kids go to school together), Auto Europe, Woodward Auto (the owner is a porsche master mechanic), Motorwerks and Lavery.

With the help of my local brethren, I do all my own work on my 928 (engine coming out- blown head gasket from too much HP and fun!) Generally, just dont have the time to wrench both and my 930 mechanic is fairly priced. Plus I don't have 10 guys in the area that are well versed in 930 maintenance repair like I have with the 928 crew.

The only guy who I let touch my 930 is Kern Serrota at Fred Lavery on Woodward in Birmingham. The guy has personally been servicing my car since 1984 there (the two PO's documented service history show his name for most all of the service then) and he has owned many P-cars including the one Al Zaamora (Al Z) is selling on this forum.

Kern is a master, has been doing it for decades, and is as honest as you will find any mechanic. Just shoot me a post and I will be happy to meet you there to make the intro. I live about 20 minutes away and like to stop there frequently as I have a good friend there that sells cars - get to test drive all the good expensive **** when it hits the showroom. :-)
Nothing in it for me except to put with you with the coolest and best mechanic I have dealt with (I'm 43 and had my share of cars that need service of every type).
Good luck and welcome to the D! Lots of fun stuff always going on car-wise. Hit me up on that as well.
Cheers, Brian
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhaus
There is another guy in Farmington Hills (forgot his name and shop name) but stay away from him to. He replaced a trans seal on my 930 and the next week my engine was making loud noises and required me to rebuild it. Coincidence maybe.
The mechanic Tom speaks of is Jeff Jones (Automotive techniques). He's done some work for me and I've never had an issue with him. He has a good following in the Detroit area; there are always lots of Porsches and Ferraris in his shop. I would recommend him.
I haven't heard many good things about Monk$, Nickola$ or Lavery so there you go. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 10-29-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for the info, Brian (CAMBO), you have PM
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey twinreds welcome to the D I relocated here from NYC, had the same questions six years ago. I can tell you from experience why I use Kern Serrotta of Lavery to do my work out of his garage. Drop me a line as I am not on here much any more. lincolnphillip@msn.com

Quick Reply: Detroit indie