Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

85 911 Turbo Ruf BTR Conversion, my first Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Goobaligoo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not a RUF Vin, but I wasn't sure if RUF only started applying VINS after they became a manufacturer in '83. his car is a '78. I believe the conversion was done bu Heimrath himself since he was a RUF dealer as well. Service records were complete from his shop until 50,000 km. I know it 30 years old, and he's just happy having a great condition 930 that runs so nice. I think he likes it better than his '08 997! It's more of a curiosity than anything. I haven't checked the Turbo plate yet, but I intend to check it. We're positive it's not a BTR since again I think they came out in the early '80's, it would just be nice to know what was done.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could still be a BTR, date of chassis not that critical. Ruf built his cars on earlier-date chassis also. For example, a 1983 chassis could have been the basis of a CTR "manufactured" in 1990.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Goobaligoo
AutoX

I'm almost positive that it's not a BTR. It was sold and licensed in '78 and it doesn't have the 3.4 BTR plate on the fan like I've seen above in this thread. Maybe it is, but I believe it is a nice 930 with some upgrades. Like I said the original owner was a porsche dealer a I believe a RUF delaer. He raced 959's and was given the very last one ever built by Porsche. I'm just trying to figure exactly what they did. Also, are there engine numbers that are common to 930's or BTR's? or did RUF just bore out the existing engine that was in the car? Figured while I check the Turbo I might as well see that the engine belongs in the car.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
bucking
Instructor

Typically, BTR engine was a 930 case with 3.4 cylinders and pistons. He went with the new cylinders primarily because he didn't like the partial cooling fins of the Porsche 930 cylinders; he wanted full circumferential cooling fins.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Goobaligoo
AutoX

yeah but would the engine stay the same i.e. would the 3.4 engine have the same engine number as the original 3.3? or did they swap in a completely new 3.3 block that had been bored out to 3.4?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
bucking
Instructor

Do you know how air cooled 911 engine is constructed? It is NOT a block with intregal cylinders like a water-cooled Chevy V8. There is an engine case split in half which carries the crankshaft. On each case half are three holes to which the individual cylinders (with heads on top of each cylinder) are attached. Whereas the Porsche 930 turbo has either a 3.0 or 3.3 liter displacement, the BTR has different individual cylinders and pistons resulting in an engine displacement of 3.4 liters. The Porsche factory and Ruf engines look exactly the same externally. However, the Ruf intercooler is slightly different and it says Ruf on its leading edge plus the edge of the air filter housing next to the intercooler is also slightly different because of fitment modifications. Obviously, different engines (regardless of Porsche or Ruf manufacture) have different ID numbers just as a 930 built by Porsche at 9:35 am on a given Tuesday will have a different engine ID number than that of the very next 930 on the assembly line. I don't know if that addresses the engine number question you raise or not, as I'm not certain what your point is. Botton line, a Porsche factory 930 3.3 liter engine doesn't look significantly different from a 3.4 liter Ruf BTR engine which is based on the 930 engine case.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Goobaligoo
AutoX

sorry I might have used the wrong terminology. in this case the '78 came from the factory with a certain VIN and engine #. I contacted porsche and they gave me the orignal engine number that came in the car and is on the case (I called it a block). I'm going to check the number in the car to the one from porsche. my question is would the have replaced the whole engine or just removed it, bored it out and replaced it. just wondering in case the #'s don't match. I'm well aware of the displacements and look, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Default engine numbers etc

I'm trying to figure out whether the Ruf dealer just dropped in a RUF 3.4L engine and 5 speed gearbox in to my car which is a 1985 911 Turbo, or rebuilt the existing engine to BTR spec, and then swapped out the gearbox.

My gearbox has a RUF casting, with the letters cast into the case. Tomorrow I will try to get the engine number (it is on the hoist right now), and then compare it to my books, and see it the engine number belongs to my '85 car, or if it is a later engine #... My car was taken to the RUF dealer in Scottsdale in 1987.

If I understand this correctly, RUF could have used the original 930 crankcase, and installed their own finned cylinders, pistons, cams, turbo, intercooler, oil cooler etc, to make the BTR motor. The first owner said that they had Ruf Tech fly in from Germany to supervise the installation.

The part number stamping on the engine ends in "R", not sure if that means anything or not.... I would be extremely pleased if the R signified Racing, and that the castings were from Porsche Motorsport, but that is probably just wishful thinking!!

I just got back driving the car from Vancouver to Calgary via the Crowsnest highway which runs along the Canada/US border... Mountain roads with little traffic.... Geez does this think move! I'll post a driving impression later.

Cheers, LR
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

I had a BTR, sold all the CIS related stuff and it is now managed by MOTEC with 993tt brakes, G50/50 trans and the best of the best components hit list, it should finally be right after the unlucky mishap with a naughty valve. You have a really nice car, maintain it and resist the urge to go further over to the dark side, it could be very dangerous and extremely costly.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R on the engine case part#, just means which version it is R=revision. The gearbox is basically a 930 box modified with RUF ring and pinion and an added first gear in the extended tail housing, I probably have 1 or 2 of those tail housings still at the shop, one a early version the later had the RUF logo casted. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Bernie
Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Unique and sharp.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Default Back to 1.0 Bar, whew!

Well I gather the piston in the wastegate was partially seized... The car had been sitting for a while.... the wastegate was taken apart, cleaned and greased, it opens at 1.0 Bar which is what Ruf spec'd originally. Nothing bad happened much to my relief. On the 800mile trip from Vancouver to Calgary (threw Nelson and the Crow's Nest Pass) the car ran cool, had good oil pressure, and didn't use any oil. The 18L/100km is nothing to write home about, but I was moving!

I'm sure the car will be more enjoyable to drive, and safer, now that my eyes aren't glued to the boost gauge. And it is still savagely fast!

Thanks to Rob at Tunerworks for looking after my car! And thanks for the helpful comments..

Cheers,

Quick Reply: 85 911 Turbo Ruf BTR Conversion, my first Porsche!