Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

swapping 3.2 for a 3.3 turbo engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
nwebley
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping 3.2 for a 3.3 turbo engine?

Hey Everyone,

I am new here and I very nearly bought a 930 turbo which needed some love but decided that it was a bit to much for me.. plus the asking price was a bit rich for my blood..

Anyway I just wanted to ask your opinions on something that I have been thinking of doing.. I have noticed a 1969 911 for sale, but it looks like a 1988 with a 3.2 in her, I like the car and am thinking about doing a little project, how difficult is it to pull the 3.2 out and put the 3.3 turbo engine in, of course including gearbox.. Is there anything else that needs to be changed whilst doing an engine swap like this..? excuse me if these are silly questions, I'm still very new to all this...

Thanks in advance.

Nick.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very difficult question to answer accurately without knowing more about the donor car and what you have available. The short answer is that it is not particularly difficult to swap any air-cooled 911 engine into any 911, provided you have an understanding of which parts work together and which dont.
For a 3.3 turbo motor into an early (69? are you sure?) chassis the minimum would be-

Complete engine with DME etc.
Turbo trailing arms
Turbo axles to match gearbox
Gearbox, if using a 4-speed you will need the short bellhousing unit or need to have it shortened, if using the G50 you just need the Turbo version
fuel pump assembly with appropriatte lines/filters
Clutch/flywheel to fit the gearbox of choice
If using an intercooler and dependant on which one you would need a turbo or similar "tail"

That should get you running and rolling, however other systems, like the brakes, will also need some improvement if not already done. Steering and suspension will also need to be gone through to ensure they are up to the extra power and make sure they are at least in good servicable condition

Thats the short and very broad list, not knowing anything about the car and what you have available.

Quick Reply: swapping 3.2 for a 3.3 turbo engine?