911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Help please.. I'm a little out of my comfort zone... PICS POSTED

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JFairman
If you got that car for free, and paid for the engine rebuild with those very questionable old parts and a crank laying on it's side for who knows how long.. and body and paint.... lol.
It would still cost more than a good running complete car and it would be totally unreliable and you would be screwing with it constantly..

I've done restorations on BMW's and Porsches and know.

Do all the work yourself and you'll be living for a car the next 2-4 years.
I would have to agree with Fairman's statement above.

This project is going to get spendy.

Car looks to be european, check carefully for rust.
As someone already mentioned.. wrong tail for year of car and very bad repaint..
Looks like a mix of blk and Lobster in the interior which brings to question the original color of the car.
Lobster was very populer on early turbs w/blk, or white exterior.

Oh, and don't count on the car being a windfall for you down the road just because its an early 930. This one will be too far from original after the required restoration to just get it funtional. The high dollar early Turbos are unmolested cars that are still in ve4ry original condition.

I hear that mistress calling you though..wide hips will get ya everytime!!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 930 is my 41st car that I've owned (not counting parts cars).

I've customized cars, altered cars, semi-restored cars, destroyed cars.

I'm not afraid of a good challenge, and I can do almost every aspect of auto machining & wrenching myself.

I too have bought a project much like this, in a Jaguar XJ12C......I no longer have that project & was lucky enough to find another sucker to unload it on. He too saw it's "POTENTIAL".

Walk away while you still can...just buy a slightly rough driver & fix it up...you'll thank us all later...trust us on this one!!!!!!!

My .02 worth, Mark
Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
RED.86.951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to the owner more today in an attempt to find out more history…

The car was brought over from Germany by a man who moved to the USA and brought the car with him in 1987., after a few years sold the car off to the current owner of the car in 1990. he drove it for a year blew the motor in 1991. While the car sat as he bought all the parts for the rebuild and found a shop who would rebuild the motor for him. The owner/operator of the shop was struck by a vehicle while riding his road bike across country. He was paralyzed and gave the 930 motor back since he would no longer be able to complete it due to his disability. Instead of finding another builder (keep in mind this is early to mid 90's) he placed the car in storage; he said that in Northeast Pennsylvania there just were not that many people around with a good knowledge of Porsche motors. The car sat in storage for the next 18 years.. the parts sat in boxes in the back seat of the car. 18 years later (which brings us to current time) he was tired of sitting on the car and held it for sale.

I don’t know where the terrible paint came into effect; however, I will find out the next time I speak with him. As far as the moldy headliner… I will chalk that one up to sitting outside for the past summer while it was in front of his house for sale. When I looked at the sunroof it had a dry rotted seal. The interior I can not attest for., I have little back round in the 930 so I wouldn’t pick up on the mixed matched interior! But I am glad you salty dogs did!

I am not planning on nor did I expect this to be a million dollar original beauty. A good looking, quick, weekend toy is all I’m looking to accomplish…. And I am sure I don’t have to tell any of you, the 930 is the runway model of what I speak.. Not to mention I always was a sucker for a red head, wide hips not so much on women but cars… now we’re talking…

Thanks again for the participation in the post and the loads of guidance all of you have provided.
I asked him about the Whale tale, he said the original owner updated it to an intercooled car hence the new wing. I forgot to ask about the god aweful paint work but it does make me wonder! and i will ask him the next time I speak to him.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since you are going for it let me be the first to help point you in the right directions...

call Kirk at http://www.allzim.com/ he can get you pretty much all the parts and seals needed to restore the the whole car.
some Euro H4 headlights with paintable trims are a nice upgrade if they have yet to be done or if the current headlights are in poor condition.

get the FACTORY rear 1/4 stone guards and not the cheap aftermarket ones.

you may want to consider some fiberglass bumpers vs trying to repair/replace/repaint those stock bumpers.... just don't buy from BetterBodies.

for ease and cleanliness in restoring the interior, search for and get some RS door panels, a RS perlon carpet kit, some nice buckets like some Sparco's, Recaro's or even some Status seats(if you're not a big big guy). pull the roof liner and recover it with some Suede... it's pretty easy to do!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Do this test. Put a post-it on every piece of equipment that needs reconditioned or replaced with a brand new part and write $500 or $1000 on each post-it. When you are done, add them up.

I look at that car and all I see are dollar signs. Headliner. Bam $500. Dash. Bam $1300. New tail. Bam $2500. New spoilers. Bam. $1500. re-upholster the seats or buy new ones. Bam $2500. Recondition or buy new rims/tires. Bam $3500. Return each body panel to as good as new. Bam $1500 each. Replace a pair fog lights/assemblies. Bam $800.......

It just goes on and on. There is no end. I wouldn't touch this car with a 100ft pole unless I owned a restoration shop and had 5 employees with not enough work to do. You could get into this car and still not be done in 5 years.

Besides, when you are done, you will habve probably spent 1.5x as much and wasted 5 years doing it. Time is money.

My nickel 98. YMMV.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 PM
fullquack
Racer

Well don't keep us in suspense...did you bring this car home yet? I know a lot if us were against this purchase, but if you have indeed bought the car, have you done a parts inventory yet? Is she all there?

Curious monkeys want to know......

Mark
Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you get the feeling that we are talking to a teenager about the dangers of premarital sex?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Judging from his post in the wanted section looking for a turbo exhaust, I would assume he did buy it.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 PM
RED.86.951
Instructor

Sorry Gents for the late reply! Yes I did by the car... the title work is done however I did not get a chance to tow the car to its new home yet so I'm sorry to say she is still trappped in that dungon for another 10 days till I manage to get time off from work and pick her up.. Many many more pics to come and parts list... as listed above it is missing the exhaust not sure where it went but it was not there according to the orig owner. SO! if any of you upgraded to the fabspeed one and have your stock one laying around I do have interest. thanks again for all the info..
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 PM
RED.86.951
Instructor

Oh and Rudy! damn good analogy!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Start a new post on the restoration....
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I smacked my forehead after reading he bought it!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red, we all know how the premarital sex lecture turned out so enjoy the sex, er, car.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by niche
I smacked my forehead after reading he bought it!
....as in bought the farm. Sounds like a great project for the patient person with deep pockets. All the best of luck.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red,
I live in NE PA if you need a hand getting it out.....give me a shout. or if you need to borrow some thing let me know! Where is the car going???

Bill.....near Scranton, PA

Quick Reply: Help please.. I'm a little out of my comfort zone... PICS POSTED