911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Haltech EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Haltech EFI

Looking at a 930 that's been efi'd with Haltech. Anybody know this system? pluses and minuses? Thanks fellas. Really looking forward to rejoining the club.

-dc
Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Depends on which unit.. some models a bit dofferent from others. I don't know of anyone in your area but check with Tim @ Rudtners racing, they know Haltech very well.
www.rudtnersracing.com/index2.php
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your south you have Wayne that installs and dyno tunes are cars..
www.tpgproducts.com

Last edited by kleinbbc2; 08-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about Geoffrey Ring here on RL? If he dowsn't know about it, he can tell you who does.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.haltech.com/index.php?opt...d=28&Itemid=25

Florida dealers:

Dealer Ancla
Location 19229 SW 29 Court, Miramar FL 33029
Contact Andy Lamus
Phone 786 264 1706
Fax 253 484 0602

Dealer Interco Trading Inc.
Location 920 NW 10th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale FL 33311
Contact Fausto Filho
Phone 954 767 9898
Fax 954 767 9596

Dealer Finishing Touches
Location 12115 179th Ct N, Jupiter FL 33478
Contact Damon
Phone 954 540 4673

Dealer Force Fuel Injection Inc.
Location 18779 SW 104th Avenue, Miami FL 33157
Contact Rob Koeppel
Phone 305 235 6160
Fax 305 235 4241

Dealer Interlochen Transport INC
Location 295 NW Yates Loop, Lake City, FL 32055
Contact Michael Loch
Phone 386 758 3086

Dealer Jaae Shop
Location 1319 Red Fox Run, Deltona, FL 32725
Contact Eddie Molina
Phone 785-579-6927

Dealer Stage6 Motorsports
Location 7530 Argyle Forest Blvd, Jacksonville FL 32244
Contact Joey
Phone 904 777 3250 or 1866 6STAGE6
Fax 904 777 3255

Dealer The Racing Store
Location 4854 Distribution Court, Suite 5, Orlando FL 32822
Contact Tony
Phone 321 436 8326
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't like them so I can't really make constructive comments on them.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Couldn't stay away eh Derick
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
DWalker
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I don't like them so I can't really make constructive comments on them.
Couldnt agree more
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks a lot fellas, yeah couldn't stay away...

Would you mind shedding more light on the reasons why you guys don't like the haltech? Is it a total garbage system that doesn't work well or is it just a pain to work with the coding, etc.? Cumbersome is one thing, poor function another.

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
zcoker
Track Day

How many of you on here have installed and tuned Haltechs? To simply bash them means absolutely nothing, simply BS. These forums can tarnish some great products. It sure is easy to trash something when you don't have a friggin clue. They are great systems and are on some of the fastest cars in the world - period. Motec along with Haltech were here long before some of this other stuff, so they are quite advanced and user friendly. Eddie Bello used one in his 9 second wheel standing Porsche. Maybe he might chime in and set the record strait. Post stuff that you know, not that you hear.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
DWalker
Racer

Originally Posted by zcoker
How many of you on here have installed and tuned Haltechs? To simply bash them means absolutely nothing, simply BS. These forums can tarnish some great products. It sure is easy to trash something when you don't have a friggin clue. They are great systems and are on some of the fastest cars in the world - period. Motec along with Haltech were here long before some of this other stuff, so they are quite advanced and user friendly. Eddie Bello used one in his 9 second wheel standing Porsche. Maybe he might chime in and set the record strait. Post stuff that you know, not that you hear.

Well I wasnt going to say anythign but since you asked-

I have installed and tuned many Haltech ECU's over the years and have worked with and am familiar with most of the engine management solutions out there and many that arent any more. My comments are based on actual experience, not internet forum BS OR "such and such" is using one, so it must be good BS.

Problems with the Haltech-

Software is buggy and they rarely if ever actually do anything about it. 99% of the time their recommendation is to "upgrade" to whatever is currently available, which will also be buggy.

They tend to not support "older" systems or the software that goes with them, despite the products still being made and available new! The e8/11 systems are a perfect example of this, many quality control issues and they KNOW IT! The systems are still for sale, but despite know bugs in the software and quality control issues with the hardware Haltech does nothing about it beyond "maybe" warrantying out a dead box.

Their "tech support" here in the states is OK at best, and tend to blame YOU or the installer first, your wiring next, and thier KNOWN buggy software and hardware last. As an example of this I JUST recently had an e8 box in that had a dead MAP input- the voltage was "stuck" around 4.0 volts as iff the MAP sensor was unplugged or dead. I called them on discovery of the issue, to which they blamed first the wiring (OEM harness that worked perfectly on the stock ECU), then the installation (thier own plug and play adaptor harness, no wiring required), the MAP sensor itself (tried 4 known good ones, three GM and one Kavlico, not one worked with the Haltech but all worked with Motec and AEM ecus just fine), until finally I insisted that the box be sent back to be checked. At that point they finally admitted that they had some issues with the e8s and e11's and thier "solution" was for me to wire the map sensor to another input, but I told them since this was a "plug and play" installation the owner prefered to not cut up his harness etc. and just wanted the box to perform as it was supposed to. I insisted the box be returned for inspection and warranty repair. They got the box and "inspected" it and came back saying there was a software compatibility issue that was skewing the MAP voltage. In the meantime the customer bought a second e8 box which when plugged in to the car worked just fine with no changes to the cal file or setup we were using in the original box. If I were a guy in a backyard doing this myself this would not have been too big a deal I guess, just a little frustrating, but as a shop owner dealing with a customer this kind of CRAP is unacceptable. Would you, as a customer, be willing to pay for the 40 plus hours of time spent on that system to get it running correctly? Would you accept a very large bill for the time spent diagnosing, dealing with buggy software and bad hardware, calling back and forth, etc.? I dont think so, so the shop ends up eating a large chunk of time, which= money, because of this.

Lastly- I dont care whose doing what with what, that doesnt make such and such system worth anything. Just because a few people have something working doesnt make it worth buying or putting up with. What counts is tech support and customer service AFTER the sale, ease of use and continued development and software support, a good and intuitive user interface is handy as well, as is a product that WORKS when you plug it in. I KNOW when I plug a MOTEC, AEM,DTA,EFI,Pectel, etc ECU in that its going to WORK and if I have an issue then there are people standing behind that unit 100% who will take the time to understand the issue and advise accordingly, whether that means helping you through a bit of setup that might have been missed or sending the box back in for service. The number of GOOD companys out there is small, and unfortunately there are a number of mediocre companies- Haltec, Electramotive, Autronic, Vipec, which all sound really good- until you have to live with them.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave, I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for that input Dave.. you have helped to narrow my search!

Where are you located?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
DWalker
Racer

Im Don, not Dave?

I am in Denver, Colorado but can will and have tuned cars all over the country. I believe Geoffrey is closer to you if you are looking for EI help.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM
zcoker
Track Day

Good to fish out some actual installers....and good, honest opinions are respected here. I hear you on the installation drawbacks, which can be quite daunting. I guess some guys have problems and then other guys do not have problems but try to work around those problems. Haltech is trigger happy and is better suited to crankfire using their rare earth magnets and one of their sensors. Toss in some other form of factory trigger and all hell can break loose. What I'm getting at is that you have to sometime work around the system to get fantastic results. You dredge a lot in the stream to find the mother load. In this way, many systems can be setup to perform the way they were meant to perform. Plug and play is getting better and better, no doubt. Certainly, for a business, time is money and that business would be better suited doing systems that are less time consuming, or more user friendly. In other cases, though, work is work and a well sorted out system can bring about the highest quality of a particular build.

Quick Reply: Haltech EFI