911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Haltech EFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
chase101
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haltech e8

I was wondering if it was a defective box or installer not having the correct firmware? I say this because of this ebay listing who says the e8 was not defective and that if was an installer issue? I would hate to buy a bad ecu being listed as a "new" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALTE...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chase101
I was wondering if it was a defective box or installer not having the correct firmware? I say this because of this ebay listing who says the e8 was not defective and that if was an installer issue? I would hate to buy a bad ecu being listed as a "new" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALTE...=p4506.c0.m245
Generically I think its poor form to quote myself, but in this case it does save time- I gave the story of this unit here:

Originally Posted by DWalker
Their "tech support" here in the states is OK at best, and tend to blame YOU or the installer first, your wiring next, and thier KNOWN buggy software and hardware last. As an example of this I JUST recently had an e8 box in that had a dead MAP input- the voltage was "stuck" around 4.0 volts as iff the MAP sensor was unplugged or dead. I called them on discovery of the issue, to which they blamed first the wiring (OEM harness that worked perfectly on the stock ECU), then the installation (thier own plug and play adaptor harness, no wiring required), the MAP sensor itself (tried 4 known good ones, three GM and one Kavlico, not one worked with the Haltech but all worked with Motec and AEM ecus just fine), until finally I insisted that the box be sent back to be checked. At that point they finally admitted that they had some issues with the e8s and e11's and thier "solution" was for me to wire the map sensor to another input, but I told them since this was a "plug and play" installation the owner prefered to not cut up his harness etc. and just wanted the box to perform as it was supposed to. I insisted the box be returned for inspection and warranty repair. They got the box and "inspected" it and came back saying there was a software compatibility issue that was skewing the MAP voltage. In the meantime the customer bought a second e8 box which when plugged in to the car worked just fine with no changes to the cal file or setup we were using in the original box. If I were a guy in a backyard doing this myself this would not have been too big a deal I guess, just a little frustrating, but as a shop owner dealing with a customer this kind of CRAP is unacceptable. Would you, as a customer, be willing to pay for the 40 plus hours of time spent on that system to get it running correctly? Would you accept a very large bill for the time spent diagnosing, dealing with buggy software and bad hardware, calling back and forth, etc.? I dont think so, so the shop ends up eating a large chunk of time, which= money, because of this.
So the real story is, I had a box here that was brand new (bought from a dealer in OZ) that would barely run the car, which I traced to a bad MAP input. The box was sent in, and they gave some BS story about the "firmware" being the issue. Right- well I dont believe it. The replacement ECU we ordered in worked perfectly, no issues at all. No worries though, the ECU has been proven to work just fine after its trip back to them and will be just fine.

Quick Reply: Haltech EFI