911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 vs 308 in Sept '09 Classic Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Schumacher
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I have a 1981 308 GTSi and a 1981 930. What I love about them is that they couldn't be more different - the Turbo is madly fast, even scary, but pretty dead at low revs and off boost. The 308 is very torquey and screams at 7,500 rpm.

The 930 is ultimately the more robust car - better made, much faster and more thrilling. The 308 is still very soulful though. It's really nice to have such a wide spectrum of automotive experience in two cars.

Regards
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hi Paul,

Your car looks great. Seeing that you are in the MD/DC/VA area, I may have seen pix of your car next to a silver 328 in the same area. The photos I saw of the 2 cars together was on Fchat. Not positive that its your car but either way it looks great. The I love the piping on the seats, and wonder why the did not offer it on the 328s. Thanks for the additional photos.

Here is a quick photo of my interior red and crema interior (please excuse the sheepskin cover on the drivers seat, I use it to protect the seat bolsters).

Best regards,
Dino
Dino,

That interior is schweet! Thanks for posting that.. understand the sheepskin cover, I keep a cover cotton-twill cover in my seat for the same reason.

- Yes that was my car with the Silver 328 on Fchat.. that's a buddy of mine over in VA.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
First of all, those F-cars are really looking gorgeous. Love your interior Dino944!

Anyway, the thoughts about BMW's I-drive make me think of how impossible it will be to keep those cars timeless. The I-drive (and for that matter all of the other nav systems around) seems to be a very time typical thing of this specific era of cars right now. In a 20 years period those things will not be up to date, and when they fail they will be very hard to repair.
Hi Vifa,

Thanks for the kind words about my car. I wish I had some good interior shots of our old 1987 911 Turbo. It was black on "crimson red" a special leather color that I have not seen on any other cars. It was more red than Porsche's "can can red", maybe similar to a friends car that was ordered with a "lipstick red" interior. I guess our family has a thing for cars with red interiors. I often wish we could have gotten the 328 and kept the Turbo, but it wasn't possible at the time.

Luxury tech gadgets such as Nav Systems/I Drives and other unnecessary items should be reserved for luxury vehicles. Sports cars should not have them. Car companies have come a long way with carbon fiber, aluminum and other weight reducing technology in cars making them both lighter and stronger, but why take away from the weight savings by adding techno junk to sports cars. It annoys me to no end.

The high tech car computers/i-drives and nav systems will be obsolete and either impossible to repair or too costly to do so in 20 years. We almost bought a NAV system in my Wife's MB in 2003. Thankfully we did not, and then we found out the discs used in their Nav system changed drastically for the 05 cars. I'm not sure if people can even get updates now for the original system.

Oh well, thankfully there enough great, simple sports cars from prior decades still on the road, to entertain purists who do not need color screen graphic junk to enjoy a drive.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

Attached are the pics....sorry I have not looked at this in a while.

All of your comments, I couldnt agree more with. However, I must admit that my 308 has been bullet proof....the 930 has the little electrical gremlins.

I love the race car feel of the 308 but the boost of the turbo.

To me the ideal car would be a turbo ferrari.....too bad I cant afford the F40 or 288.
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful !

It seems to me, that many 930 owners either own a 328 or really admire the car. It is probably one of those things "if you like this one you will also like that one".
Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
02fly
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how anyone could call them self a car guy and not like Ferrari
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

I guess. I think that most will start by liking one car. For whatever reason, there is one car that is "The Best" that you just have to own. For me, it was the Ferrari. I really liked all of the Racing History in Formula one and thought the 308 was the most beautiful ferrari. (Thought the Countach was simply the most beautiful car, but no racing history)

I picked up my 308 in NY in October 99. I remember that it was the last game of the world series. I had never really driven one that much before, I just knew I had to have it. All other variables did not exist. I didnt care about cam belts or the perception that it was unreliable or any other BS.....I had to have it.

From day 1 this car proved to be different. Driving it is an event. Climbing into it is difficult....but so is getting in a fighter cockpit. It just adds to the experience. The smell of the leather is intoxicating. The stitching on the wheel feels fantastic, as well as the effort it takes to turn it at low speeds. Then you get to turn the key.......Fantastic. The sound is incredible. As you start to creep along the experience continues to get better. I have never seen a motor that likes to keep reving as much as the Ferrari V8. This was an 84 car that loves to go to nearly 8K rpms.........and gives the most fantastic wail. Pure auditory sex. Then you get to shift the gears through the metal gate. I realize this is a street car, but it is more like a racing go cart. The experience is magical.

I looked for a 930 because Porsche also had a reputation in racing and grew up with the slogan....."there is no substitute" Frankly, the car was a turbo (which I feel is the best single invention.....EVER) and it had four seats. The only time the car puts a grin on my face is when I can look at its big beautiful *** and when the turbo ignites. But, when the car is sitting....doing its everyday job....it puts me to sleep. I cant sense the soul to the car.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Shemmer
Pro

You guys are ***** on! The Porsche (930) is a different world. The thrill is like no other car I've ever driven. Nothing can replace the adrenalin rush you get when that turbine starts spinning. Although my Testarossa probably has similar horsepower it doesn't compare. Both cars are unique with very obvious differences.
I used to think I was getting alot of looks in the 930 until I got the Ferrari. In the Porsche people don't try to keep up to you and take pictures but in the F-car it a common occurance to have people run up to you to get a pic and video you as you drive down the highway. I sometimes warn passengers to expect it just in case they're not used to it.
Ferrari1 I love your 308. One of my favourite body styles, virtually timeless and iconic. I would love to add one to my stable but unfortunately I have a full house and not willing to give anything up. If I ever got rid of the 930 it would immediately be replaced with a 964 turbo 3.8 and the only consideration regarding the Testarossa would be to trade up to a Diablo VT Roadster. I've got something for 12 cylinder cars.
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

The 12 cylinder has torque that the 308 just doesnt have.....but not sure if it is as rev happy.

The diablo is an awesome car. Drove one a few years back....and all I can say is amazing. My buddy had a 355, TR, and Diablo. I drove them all back to back. The Diablo won hands down.

Post more TR pics.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Ok I just now had to upgrade my membership a few minutes ago (2 years $32) cause my attachments sum was maxed but it will take a day or two before I can post more.

Quick Reply: 930 vs 308 in Sept '09 Classic Motorsports