Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

88 930 Turbo RUF: Does anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:46 PM
shockm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Rough"....."Porsh".....My F'in ears are bleeding!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Robert how are you, I forgot about Frank's car. Alois did not start buying bodies in white from Porsche until 1985 ish if I am not mistaken. As for the Florida car it is for sale, the one that Bill Patel has that used to belong to Leandro. Guys I really don't care if it is Ruf VIN or not it depends on the car and a solid PPI, all I can say is that any 930 car running a Carrera manifold with that much plumbing has more to tell than the seller knows.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Lincoln....If I understand what you are saying....I agree here that the white car for sale is a bag of snakes. It may have some Ruf bits on it, but once you stick that i/c, manifold and who knows what else on it, it becomes Frankenstein. Plus w/o any safeguards, who knows how much boost has been jammed in there and w/what quality fuel....always my concern w/modded 930s.....
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Remember, most early Ruf cars here in the states were conversions based on parts provided through authorized dealers of which there were only two in the through the early 80s.. Exclusive Motorcars in N.J. and another outfit in the Chicago area. If you wanted Ruf you either bought from one of them, or you ordered a car from Ruf in Germany which would be a Euro car that on top of the Ruf mods you'd have to pay to get federalized or you buy a new 930 through the dealer (a US spec car ) for european delivery and take it to Ruf fo the mod$$. Also, it was my understanding that Ruf didn't start using they're own Vin's until the early 90's when they recieved they're TUV certification and became recognized as a manufacturer rather than a tuner.

Back to the car inquestion.. This car is in my hood as well.. I looked at it when it first arrived to thier store several months ago. I didn't get a chance to drive it.. as I was in a hurry but the car appears very well done.

It has lots of Ruf goody pieces on it and could have very well have been a Ruf conversion car earlier in it's life. I say that because inside the engine bay closing panel it has the gold Porsche style foil decal that says Ruf. You can't buy that item on ebay.. at least I haven't seen them and typiclly these were placed on cars that have had some internal engine work performed as part of their conversion. There is usually another Ruf decal on the alt strap but I didn't notice it as I was too busy looking at the other details. Clearly the present mods are not Ruf in any way as mentioned about the fuel rails the IC and the exhaust.
The car is an original 930 and the updates to the body are factory pieces, not fiberglass. I'm not feeling the yellow touches either.. it's kinda ricey on this car.

I wonder what fuel management sytem they're using and double set of injectors are batch or sequintial. Aslo, wondering why they just refer to the car as a turbo.. that engine is spinning two snails! The very first thing I noticed under the rear were the dual waste gates.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Ruff or not it is a pretty car. I think it is tastefully done. If all documents of serivice and build pan out and it gets a good PPI. I would say it is worth it. Think of how much money it cost to duplicat that car.
The only way to tell if it is a good car is to see it in person and get it checked out by a good mechanic who knows what to look for in those cars. JMO.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Paul I have maybe three sets of those stickers in my garage right now. An owner of a real Ruf car in Florida just bought a bunch of my remaining Porsche parts was the recipient of some of those stickers. It is true that the stickers are near impossible to get but I gave a set to a guy about two years ago only to see him turn around and sell them on e-bay, he purchased a bunch of unobtainium parts and I threw in the stickers and emblems then he basically flipped them on e-bay. Back on topic, given the plumbing I thought it was a twin turbo but the I/C concealed the other tell tale signs, if this car passes a PPI I would buy it but learn as much as possible about the engine management system etc before pulling the trigger.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schnele
Paul I have maybe three sets of those stickers in my garage right now. An owner of a real Ruf car in Florida just bought a bunch of my remaining Porsche parts was the recipient of some of those stickers. It is true that the stickers are near impossible to get but I gave a set to a guy about two years ago only to see him turn around and sell them on e-bay, he purchased a bunch of unobtainium parts and I threw in the stickers and emblems then he basically flipped them on e-bay. Back on topic, given the plumbing I thought it was a twin turbo but the I/C concealed the other tell tale signs, if this car passes a PPI I would buy it but learn as much as possible about the engine management system etc before pulling the trigger.
Linc, I'll take a set!

Funny, my car had Ruf mods by the original owner.. think the Chicago distributor did them.. had the 3.4, IC, pedals, gauges, muffler, frnt spoiler and wheels. During his next phase he dumped the Ruf IC for Andial. Next owner dumped the wheels in favor of new Super Cups and swapped the muffler for stock because he thought the Ruf unit was too load.. duh! Ok, it's been in proper hands for a while now though.

Agree with you on the white car.. & from visual it appears very well done.. believe me.. I started scratching my head and wondering.. hmm.

P-
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onboost
Also, it was my understanding that Ruf didn't start using they're own Vin's until the early 90's when they recieved they're TUV certification and became recognized as a manufacturer rather than a tuner.
This is incorrect. I know of at least one 1986 BTR that carries a RUF VIN. Also, the 1989 CTR (and all iterations of CTR that followed) was a RUF VIN car, and was not available as a conversion on a standard Porsche 911. The BTR can go either way, the CTR is only available as a RUF VIN.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Us spec or Euro version cars?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:47 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Both.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

I was clearly not speaking about the CTR.. and again I'm not sure that you'll find any early BTRs with the Ruf vin other than a Euro spec car as all Turbos from 80 through 86 were euro market only.

I have a friend that had a CTR and yes he had a Ruf vin.. Years ago I bought a wrecked SC that had a verifiable Ruf conversion. I bought it to strip for it's parts which I still have. It had no Ruf vin
Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onboost
I was clearly not speaking about the CTR.. and again I'm not sure that you'll find any early BTRs with the Ruf vin other than a Euro spec car as all Turbos from 80 through 86 were euro market only.

I have a friend that had a CTR and yes he had a Ruf vin.. Years ago I bought a wrecked SC that had a verifiable Ruf conversion. I bought it to strip for it's parts which I still have. It had no Ruf vin
The 930 BTR cab that was on the cover of R&T is US spec. I know of another car, a red coupe non-slant that is also US spec.

You cannot necessarily conclude that because Porsche did not officially import the 930 into the US from 80 to 86, that RUF could not either.

EDIT: The thing is, I think we're both right. Prior to RUF moving the dealer network in house, they would use private importers. The cars when built were setup to whatever region they were being sold to (per the order), and the private importer (some of which were Porsche dealers I think) would then sell the car to the customer. So there were USA-spec RUF-vin cars prior to RCT, but apparently their sale/paperwork was handled in a grey-market fashion.

Last edited by ZAMIRZ; 07-23-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
The 930 BTR cab that was on the cover of R&T is US spec. I know of another car, a red coupe non-slant that is also US spec.

You cannot necessarily conclude that because Porsche did not officially import the 930 into the US from 80 to 86, that RUF could not either.
That's great that those cars made it here...

However, I am concluding that the cars imported by Ruf in that period were not US Spec cars unless Ruf bought them designated as such, did his conversion and then brought them to the US. Sort of like buying through European delivery and then taking them for connversion prior to shipment.

Having imported several cars during this period myself, and having a working understanding of the conversion process that was required at the time.. which once completed still did not render a car as US spec Federalized yes, US Spec no.

One would have to understand that anyone less than a manufacturer would have huge hurtles to jump to have a car designated as US spec with the number of vehicles required for crash testing, emmisions and other designated requirements that it takes to have a car "officialy Imported" to this country as a US spec vehicle.

Last edited by onboost; 07-23-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
SEW QUIK
Intermediate

Called the salesman about the white car in an effort to stop my drooling looking at their web page. Reasonably knowledgable guy about turbos and the RUF conversion process. Claims that the car has 1800 miles on the RUF conversion (which may explain why the modern fuel rails are linked to a RUF engine) and that he has $135,000 in receipts for the car. I think that anyone that is serious about this car should take a look at the receipts and records. The price is high, but not high enough to stop my drooling. Another car on their website that is appealing is a yellow 993 c4s with a TPC supercharger (450 rwhp) for about the same money....two drool strands now coming off my chin...trying to not drive down there and fondle these cars.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, I like the BTR bumper on the rear better than my 964 bumper. That is one great looking car!

Quick Reply: 88 930 Turbo RUF: Does anyone know this car?