911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

cold start injector used for microfueler

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start injector used for microfueler

I was snooping around my engine bay and discovered that there was a Callaway Microfueler installed at one time and was disconnected possibly when I had my motor redone. I'm trying to locate the injector that would have been used and I cant seem to find where it was drilled or any trace of it. All I have is the wiring, vaccuum line and injector harness with a plug on the end all coming out of the fueler. Is it possible that the factory cold start injector could have been used instead of the one that the kit would have come with? Car was originally from Europe then imported to Florida which is where the original work was done so it's possible that the cold start injector may not have been needed in such warm climate and someone may have used it for the fueler.
Also is the sensor for the cold start injector located on the mass air flow housing right next to the fuel distributor? If so it isn't even plugged in so I'm guessing that my cold start injector isn't even functioning unless it gets it signal somewere else.
If anyone can shed some light on this situation I would appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any info on it, but my understanding is that a 7th injector is not an optimal system, as it does not distribute the fuel evenly among cylinders.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ANDIAL system that I have never installed that sounds similar but it works on the WUR. It has a line from the fuel head to the WUR and an adjustable fueling timer.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have my Andial installed but not powered since going to an adjustable WUR. Really no longer needed. Rudy is right, the Andial works by changing control pressure through a frequency valve directing fuel back to the tank. The old 7th injector systems just dumped fuel into the intake manifold, is my understanding.
Either way, I don't think you could use the cold start injector as a microfueler. Way too mucy fuel injected and I don't think it can be pulsed with variable duty cycles as can a frequency valve.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Look in the center of the back of the manifold, kinda under the fuel distributor. You may see what looks like a bung, bolt, or plug. That is where your 7th injector was.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys but after testing the fueler I discovered that it doesn't work anyway so I'm going to look at other alternatives. Unfortunately I just had my WUR replaced but not to an adjustable one. I should have gone that route but I let my mechanic decide.
BTW thanks onboost I did find the injector which BTW isn't even pluggged in. I guess it only works on cold startup right, just as it's described?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, did you get the digital WUR or the manual adjusting kind? I haven't heard any rave reviews about the digital one and wondered if anyone has actually installed one that worked well? Over at Pelican they talk about them but no one seems like they have really worked out like we all hoped. Any updates on this thing?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Mark, did you get the digital WUR or the manual adjusting kind? I haven't heard any rave reviews about the digital one and wondered if anyone has actually installed one that worked well? Over at Pelican they talk about them but no one seems like they have really worked out like we all hoped. Any updates on this thing?
Naw Rudy, I went with an adjustable WUR from Brian Leask. I'm not convinced that all the bugs are yet worked out on the digital WUR. And I have better use of my time than reading what has become probably the largest discussion thread on Pelican.

My opinion, FWIW, is that digital is the way to go if you're pushing 400 hp in a CIS fueled car. I don't think mine is over maybe 360, so the mechanical WUR and delayed boost enrichment solenoid does an adequate - if not excellent - job of controling AFR's. I think I'll invest the bucks in something like suspension or a set of headers and just call it good. Or spend the money on gas and drive the damn car!

Quick Reply: cold start injector used for microfueler