911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

question on 5 speed vrs 4speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
whiter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question on 5 speed vrs 4speed

to you you guys in the know is the G50 on an 89 worth and extra 10k over say an 86 to 88 4 speed in the 930 platform. There is a 89 cab in my area asking 49 same car in a 4 speed probably 39k or much less. Is it collectibility or real driving Benefit? Thanks again in advance RW
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The G50 in my 965 is very nice, but I still prefer the 4spd in my 930.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
whiter
Advanced

Question

why do you prefer the 4 speed in the 930? That could be helpful to me in that the 86-88 run around 10k less than a 5 speed 89. Thanksl
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that a five speed should necessarily bring an additional $10K. Granted, they do only come in the 89 which is the last year of production for that 930 series....so being the last of the line, they usually bring a bit more....but not $10K. You must be looking at a car that's pretty pristine and has some other things going for it in order to drive it up that much.

I drive a 4 speed and like it...but not as a DD or in a lot of traffic. The longer gears appeal to some of us who like winding the car out without having to shift....great for hitting the onramps....but there are times when it seems like you just aren't going fast enough for one gear, yet are too slow for another. The spacing of the 5 speed gearing is easier on you, but not a detriment to considering one. Have you driven both of them? If not, you won't get a lot other than subjective information out of our attempts to explain the difference.....it comes down to driving styles and your environment....open roads vs. lots of traffic? Tracking or pleasure driving?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

This question gets asked probably once per month on this forum, as well as over on Pelican. So for the first time in my few years online, I'm going to use the anti-social admonishment to: Do a Search.

Guys with 4-speeds don't seem to mind only having 4 speeds. Guys with 5-speeds can't imagine having only 4. I have used my 4-speed car as a DD in stop-and-go LA traffic, and am perfectly fine with the gearbox I've got. I'm sure it's nice to have another cog, but I wouldn't have paid an extra 10Gs just for that.

Last edited by Noah930; 07-03-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:31 PM
whiter
Advanced

Thumbs up

sorry to b a bother but the info I have accumulated has been invaluable.At the end of the day i have to go drive a bunch of these,but I know more now as to what to look for Thanks RW
Old 07-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

You dont' need to "go drive a bunch"....you just need to drive one of each. You're also faced with whether you want a cab or a coupe...so you'll probably be paying extra for the cab. I'm fortunate to have both a cab and a coupe....and the cab is nice for the bluebird skies and cool weather and the weekend jaunts...but I'd probably opt for the coupe if I had to choose just one. BTW...your signature doesnt' give much info about your age or where you are....geographical location and age can enter an equation.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
whiter
Advanced

Thumbs up

56 years I have been into yachts the last 12 years and now want to try out P cars. Dont really like the cab look as well as a coupe,so probably leaning that way. I am in the Seattle Wash area so weather dictates that this will be a 2k to 3k mile a year car in summer months. From what you guys have said a 4 speed for my needs will be fine I believe.I plan on rural areas and freeway driveing mostly.The occassional traffic Jam if I go into the city. I do want a fast car for freeway on ramps and such which is why I started looking at modified cars,but I dont want to get into the money pit of paying for them as I go. Seems you can spend 30cents on the dolllar for one already done,however one has to know what mods to look for and we do have some great shops up here for ppi.Recently looked at an 89 triple black car with some performance mods and suspension and wheel up grades. Its an 89 with with the G50 in really nice conditon,but I just cant warm up enough to the cab look they want $49k which is what got me going on the 4 speed vrs 5 speed thread.At any rate theres a lot to learn but thats part of the fun I guess. Thanks for the imput RW
Old 07-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Good God man...there's some BEAUTIFULLY modded cars in the $40K range that I've seen recently. For less than the $49K they're asking for that cab....you can get a really beautifully done car with all the mods you'd ever want....most guys spend a good $50-80K modding their cars that they end up marketing for the $40K area.....there are a couple being advertised now...one for $41K that people are drooling all over....I'd go for that one in a hot minute.

Your 3K miles a year really doesn't do justice to a well modded car. They do like to be driven....but you sound like a fellow who takes good care of his toys....so properly maintained, run periodically hard and lathered up....cooled down and put away dry....you're into some potentially wonderful cars. You're buying at an optimum time. Do some looking in the 930 forums on Pelican, 6 speed, and Rennlist....there's a jewel there right now.

Best of luck in your quest....I only wish I had waited till now to buy my 930...there are truly some Pavlovian slobbering ones out there.

Chuck
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Whiter: Not a bother at all. Once you find a car you're interested in, post up pictures, a link to the ad if available, and the vital stats on the car. We'll happily dissect the pros and cons. It's easy to be critical on the internet, after all. You'll be able to go test drive the car with a fairly good list of "what to look for."
Old 07-05-2009, 01:30 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Check THIS one out

Well, I've been lurking for so long I forgot my old user name and PW. So I re-registered.

Not to hijack Whiter's thread, but I've been looking for a 930 for a while as well. Specfically, a factory SN Coupe, preferably an'89 G50/50. Thanks to a tip from a fellow Pelicanite, I found this one. This is from an ad in 2003. The car now has 15,000 miles and is PRISTINE. If the PPI checks out, it will be mine in a week.

Here's a description from the ad in '03: Should be INSANE fast...

1989 Porsche 930 S Slantnose Turbo black

The original title of this automobile shows it to be a one-owner vehicle. NEVER DRIVEN ON THE RAIN... The mileage represented is the actual mileage of this vehicle. It appears that this vehicle lived in a smoker-free environment. This pampered vehicle is used to being garage kept. THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A FACTORY 930 SLANT NOSE TURBO WITH OVER $154,000 INVESTED IN IT. THIS VEHICLE IS IRRIPLACEABLE. This extra clean exterior makes this used auto look new. With an interior this clean, it is obvious that the previous owner detailed it quite regularly. There is a beautiful set of new tires on this vehicle. MORE THAN $153,639 INVESTED. PHASE I ZYTEK ENG. MGNT. SYS., FUEL INJECTOR UPGRADES, ADDITION OF SENSORS AND BRACKETS, INTAKE MANIFOLD UPGRADE, INTERCOOLER UPGRADE, IHI RACING TURBOCHARGER, STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST HEADERS, CAMSHAFT UPGRADES, TWIN IGNITION CONVERSION, ADJUSTABLE BOOST WITH GAUGE, CYLINDER HEAD SEAL RINGS, BALANCED AND BLUEPRINTED LOWER END PORTED AND POLISHED CYLINDER HEADS W/CUSTOM VALVE JOB, DYNO TESTING 618 HP @ 6250 RPM 587 FT/LB TORQUE 5000 RPM. PHASE II DUAL STAILESS STEEL MUFFLERS, ADDITIONAL A/C CONDENSER and FAN, UPGRADE IGNITION WIRES, CUSTOM INTERCOOLER. PHASE III CUSTOM DISIGNED 6 BUTTERFLY INTAKE, TWIN INJECTORS, INTERCOOLER, CUSTOM CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, RING REAR, WHEELS OZ FUTURA TYPE 24 MODULAR. BRAKE and SUSPENSION COMPONANTS S-4 CALIPERS and 13 FRONT BRAKE ROTORS DS-11, PAGID R-4 BRAKE PADS, REAR COIL OVER SUSPENSION, BILSTEIN RACE SHOCKS, RADIUS ARM KIT CORNER BALANCE AND ALIGNED.
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

that car looks the business what are they asking?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I upgraded my turbo I was thinking of regearing my trans but now am not going to do that. For me it'd be worth $3K to redo or get a 5 speed but that ain't gonna happen so I'll stick w/ my 4-speed.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had the opportunity to compare a 4spd 930 with a 5 spd version in which both were otherwise identical condition, mods, etc. (aka apples-to-apples). Given exactly the same I'd not spend $10k more, but perhaps $5k more - yes.

I absolutely prefer to have a hydraulic close ratio G50 and have been hoping to someday save the $ to treat my 930 to a tricked out Patrick Motorsports G50 conversion. If this dreadful economy ever turns around and the govt allows me to keep enough of my profits, well perhaps it'll happen ... someday.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
whiter
Advanced

well certainly a wide range of opinions here. I will drive both before I decide d and I guess determine my own preference. I suspect I would be fine with a 4 speed will see.Thanks to all

Quick Reply: question on 5 speed vrs 4speed