Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

911 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your get one that is 100% original. Very few left us molested...

Good Luck... I may sell my Ferrari Fly Yellow 88?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by RS 197

Awesome car in your avatar......please post some pictures of that babe for my benefit, I am doing stuff to my car and that orange car is inspirational.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM
BobZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS 197

PM sent
Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
MO Shark
Advanced

Imagine Auto contacted me about mine because I let them know I was selling my 928 & looking for a 930. Luckily, it was right here in KC and was exactly what I wanted in color, miles, condition, mods...even right down to the wheels. Plus, they knew the car, had gone through it and I didn't have to worry about any surprises.
In short, I'd put the word out to some top shops and see what comes back.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine is still, reluctantly, for sale. It's an '89.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM
mikelambert1987
Intermediate

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I am going to update my bar to identify my location. The 89 has a five speed right? So I'm looking for some advice in a potential purchase. There are two turbos we found that are real nice are a 86 and and 88. one has 92k miles but has been gone over pretty well engine rebuilt beautiful condition all numbers matching and the guy is asking low twenties. Mint condition really gorgeous a few scratches but gorgeous. The second is a really nicely redone turbo as well. It has 52k miles and has been really nicely done up. Not numbers matching though etc. asking low 30's for this one. I am leaning towards the 50k mile car but is numbers matching really that important.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont' think the matching numbers thing is that important unless you intend to put it on the block at Barrett-Jackson, or include it in your collection . Truthfully, what I would look for is a well running car that's been gone thru to eliminate as many of the niggling things that happen over time....a new clutch or at least a recent one, decent tires, brakes, top end rebuild would be a big plus, not not necessarily needed....a good leakdown test, some good maintenance records to give you an idea of what's been done and when,...and a pleasing presentation to the eye. I am more concerned about RELIABILITY than anything else....I.E....is this thing going to leave me stranded somewhere....or has it had good engine maintenane and accessory management to minimize those troublesome little lproblems. You'll never eliminate all of them in a 20 plus year car.....but certainly minimize them. As clean as I thought my car was....it came home three times on the back of a AAA flatbed truck....oh the horror with all the neighbors watching....
Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Always buy a car with resale in mind. Everyone always says that they'll never sell it but everything in life will eventually be sold. As is usually advised here, buy the nicest best documented car that you can afford. These cars and Porsche's in general are very expensive to make correct later. Good luck and don't be hesitant to ask for help here, even to look at cars. I'm sure that someone here lives near you or a car that you may want to have looked at.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with "Always buy a car with resale on your mind", but don't take it to the absurd. Most of us have modified our cars to some degree and so the "Original" label will be pretty hard to prove. The best way to approach it is like Chuck said above. Find one that will give you trouble free fun and that has had most of the "Big" items replaced or rebuilt. If total originality is your aim, you will probably have a 930 that is not up to the standards that most of have raised our cars. It will still be a fine car but boy can it be better! Good hunting.

Quick Reply: 911 turbo