911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fan Claning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Claning

I looked and searched over in Concours and detailing .....I never have any luck with the seach feature. The question is ....is there any way to clean the fan on the alternator......just seems impossibe to get the crap off of it. Thought I'm using the wrong type cleaner (Simply Green and a tooth brush). If you can't clean it.....is it hard to replace the fan.....or must you replace the alternator also? Is the fan/alternator and expensive part?

Thanks Bill

P.S. The fun thing about the 930 is there are thing to do to it.....where the 997 is just wash and ride. (Which ain't bad either!)
Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
tug68
Instructor

I used a dremel and fine sandpaper to get my results. Not great but better than before:
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
turboGary
Racer

Mine is as new with the coating to protect from corrosion. It always looks dirty no matter what you do. I would polish it like tug68 but want to retain stock look.

Incase you guys notice the oil filler cap is missing. I take it off after a drive to allow any condensation to escape.

Last edited by turboGary; 10-07-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can take the fan off and have the blades cleaned with a glass beading process....then have it powder coated but you have to be careful that they dont powder coat the top edge of the blade...in some cases it won't clear the housing and scrapes...they have to tape off the top edge before powder coating.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I polished mine with a pad on a bench grinder. Looked great for months, but then started to oxidize. Should have used a clear coat of some kind. Next time I'll have it powdercoated in a polished look.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrccod
(Simply Green and a tooth brush).
Bill...Bill...Bill....Simple Green of all products? This is a de-greaser not a detailing product to clean an alloy fan. My oh my. That "crap" that is on the fan is a factory coating to prevent corrosion, these fans are funky alloy of magnesium with aluminum.

You best bet if you want to make it look yummy is to poweder coat as suggested, there is a multi page thread on Pelican Technical Forum with colors and combos that is worth checking out.

The fan can be simply separated from the alternator, once remove the entire assembly, if your alternator is fairly old, you might want to thank about replacing it, if you are going to pull it all out anyway, but budget on several hundreds of dollars for a rebuilt or new alternator.

Here is mine:
Before (note that my car is fairly low mileage and rarely driven, but you would nver know by looking at the fan):

After:
\
Little out of focus:

Yasin
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rusty: I see you changed intercoolers also...is that first one a BlownSix? What's the brand of that second one? The powercoating looks great....but it will break down after a year or so and require a re-do. Very nice presentation.

And I also commend your choice of beers.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-12-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Well I thought Simple green was a safe start.....where no damage would be done.....just didn't realize the intensity of the funk that was on the fan. I like the thought of carefully taking a dremel to it ...but will consider all options.

Now if you want to talk beer!.........While corona maybe light and refeshing....Fat Tire is OK...I recomendend Chimay Blue label.....and my personal favorite.....hard to get South Hampton Abbots 12....a true Belguim and Belguim style Beer!

Bill
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck

Why would it break down? It should last a long time, or least mine have. One thought was what you said about not powdercoating the ends. Does the problem start there?

I think if you spray it lighly, you'll be ok. I've also trimmed mine back with a 3M pad on a air grinder to get a little more clearance.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Rusty: I see you changed intercoolers also...is that first one a BlownSix? What's the brand of that second one? The powercoating looks great....but it will break down after a year or so and require a re-do. Very nice presentation.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Bill...Bill...Bill....Simple Green of all products? This is a de-greaser not a detailing product to clean an alloy fan. My oh my. That "crap" that is on the fan is a factory coating to prevent corrosion, these fans are funky alloy of magnesium with aluminum.

You best bet if you want to make it look yummy is to poweder coat as suggested, there is a multi page thread on Pelican Technical Forum with colors and combos that is worth checking out.

The fan can be simply separated from the alternator, once remove the entire assembly, if your alternator is fairly old, you might want to thank about replacing it, if you are going to pull it all out anyway, but budget on several hundreds of dollars for a rebuilt or new alternator.
Damn that looks nice. Just another item to add to my long list of items...lol
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones

Chuck -
First intercooler is a B&B (that worked great, I purchased from David aka 125Shifter).
Second Intercooler is a home job that I designed messing around on AutoCAD.

The powder coating will not break down..to "break down" will require some kind of chemical reaction to cause the paint to deteriorate or react. This powder coating is almost 2 years old and looks as good as the first day it was applied. The key here is the prep of the metal before melting the powdered paint on and then baking.

As for beers, well I do like a good cold beer!!

Originally Posted by Arrccod
Well I thought Simple green was a safe start.....where no damage would be done.....just didn't realize the intensity of the funk that was on the fan. I like the thought of carefully taking a dremel to it ...but will consider all options.

Now if you want to talk beer!.........While corona maybe light and refeshing....Fat Tire is OK...I recomendend Chimay Blue label.....and my personal favorite.....hard to get South Hampton Abbots 12....a true Belguim and Belguim style Beer!

Bill
Thanks for the Beer recommendations Bill, I will try the Belgiums out! BTW..taking a Dremel to the fan will be a true testament of patience!! Like trying to cut a fat hog with a plastic knife.

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Chuck

Why would it break down? It should last a long time, or least mine have.
+1

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Damn that looks nice. Just another item to add to my long list of items...lol
Slippery slope bro!!

Yasin

Quick Reply: Fan Claning