Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Imagine Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

He has always been helpful to me too. I'm really sad to sell one of his gems. If I had him do all the work, instead of starting my motor install with someone else, I wouldn't have to!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
TJN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen, I am most certainly sorry to learn of your plight! I sincerely hope that life turns around for you and yours, SOON! BTW, the new clutch is performing well! TJN/VETTEKILLER
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
TJN
Instructor

Hey mate, I was surely sorry to hear about Stephen! Hope that is well with you and yours! TJN/VETTEKILLER
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Shame. I bought a bunch of upgrades from him a few years back and he personally worked with my local wrench on the phone to sort out some fitment issues.

Its a tough economy. Im out of work myself.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
W Wassell
AutoX

Not sure where or what Stephen is up to these days, if anyone happens to know, I would just like to say thanks for all that he has done for me as well as my car. In my opinion he is one of the most sincere individuals that I believe I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with, and would do so again in a heartbeat. For your time, efforts, and comrade – Thanks Stephen !
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I spoke with him recently and he seems to be doing well all things considered.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a couple of overpriced turbos from him in the past, transactions were good. Then when times got tougher/ his back against the wall, he got shady & commenced his bad business dealings etc. Rather than being honest with his customers he tried to screw them to save his own ***. Not my idea of a standup guy.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:40 AM
c2pilot
6th Gear

Thumbs down IA = No Way

Originally Posted by c2pilot
I'm a 911 newbie...but knew and heard of IA (specifically Stephen) through the local PCA chapter. I bought a 964 C2 cabrio last year that needed a lot of engine work. Stephen graciously took it on in January of this year. I had no idea at the time that his business was compromised...and did'nt until I called him on Tuesday of this week.

I can certainly sympathize with his current situation, and I can also vouch for the fact that he's doing everything he can to make me feel at ease about my investment. Mine is one of the few cars still sitting unfinished in Lenexa...awaiting parts and labor. He is working with me to find a way to get the car completed (at his home!)...ultimately following through with his commitment. This is commendable given the business situation he's in.

I told him today on the phone I don't mess with these forums often (as he was concerned about how difficult things are on here for him right now - always two sides..), but after talking with him I thought it just that I let everyone know he's working with me to make things right. I suspect he will do the same for all of his customers, given time to work through the BS he is dealing with. Sometimes we all have to give a little..in this case it's patience.

Stephen - I look forward to driving my car home from KC.
Sadly - my engine was never rebuilt by this guy despite the amount of trust <and money ~ $4k> I invested in him. When my wife and I showed up in his shop in January of 2009 with my 964 he should have told me he was broke and couldn't accept my business. I'd have been fine with that. In the end, 4 months later, my car was a mess sitting in some God forsaken brickyard in KC with the centercaps stolen and the rear window ripped. There were several other cars sitting there as well - I wondered how their owners felt as I pulled mine through the mud on to a trailer... Despite several attempts on my part to give him time to commit to fixing the problem - he simply wouldn't (or couldn't).

My engine, tranny and pile of parts were handed over to me in recycle tubs at his home...while he was washing one of his 911's in his driveway. Moral of the story...a good mechanic does not always translate to a good businessman..or a good human being in my view. I'm glad that some people at least feel like they got their money's worth when he was actually doing business...I certainly did not.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry for your loss and for Stephen's too but one of the most unethical things that occurs daily in all types of business is the acceptance of work/money while knowing that the business is going bankrupt soon. This happens to so many unsuspecting customers that it is amazing thst the crooks in DC haven't put a stop to it. It doesn't really matter if the business is really big or a one man operation. The airline industry is a little better because they usually accept tickets from bankrupt carriers although on a stand by basis. Good luck getting it put back together again.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
...Then when times got tougher/ his back against the wall, he got shady & commenced his bad business dealings etc. Rather than being honest with his customers he tried to screw them to save his own ***. Not my idea of a standup guy.
+1 I made the same experience (damaged parts, p/n removed, etc.).

There was a thread on RL a couple of years ago re complaints about his business. It was either closed or deleted by the mods.

In hindsight, it could have probably saved a lot of people a lot of money and grief...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
shockm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Autobahn, is your avatar from The Big Lebowski? Are you the Dude
Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
Autobahn, is your avatar from The Big Lebowski? Are you the Dude
aka his Dudeness and El Duderino
Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I tried ordering things from him that either didn't show up and I wasn't charged for, or didn't show up and appeared on my charge anyway. Raised a big red flag with me.
My general opinion was that the business was run kinda loosy-goosy.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wasn't going to respond to this thread but honestly would like to set a couple of things straight. There is a huge difference between knowing the business is closing and hanging on for dear life trying anything new to keep it alive, cutting staff, selling equipment and personal items just trying to get over that hump. In the end those that start businesses take a risk and they do so knowing that they have to be stronger and more resilient than the average person and when things get bad you fight you don't just run. That is what I did. I never stopped fighting regardless of all the crap that was happening which you guys don't know the half of it. I didn't close until the powers closed me and that is exactly what happened. I never gave up until I was totally defeated.

C2 Pilots’ motor was removed and torn down and had a lot more things wrong with it than expected. We sepced everything and sent the heads out and had them rebuilt and new valves fitted. We were forced closed literally overnight and I have multiple emails to him trying to figure out a game plan. In the end he was uncomfortable and I understood that but was committed to finishing the engine. I saved enough money to pay for the heads which was the delay and he came and got the car shortly after. Not what I was trying to accomplish.

As far as the other stories, well Patrick you never expressed any issue just started a thread. I still have the email asking what was going on and how I could correct the situation and there was never a response. That is why the thread was removed. I always ground the numbers off clutches because we used various unconventional components to make kits up and I didn't want those that could just copy to have that luxury. Let them do their own research and development on what works and what doesn't. Just not at my expense.

DM-an honest mistake, we talked about that. It was rectified if I recall.

To the rest, I am alive and well. I am actually working as a business consultant for ADP in their PEO division. Not Porsches but a job with a stable company. Past couple of years both business and personal have been the most challenging of my life and I continue to sort and walk through the mess that hit me. Thanks for all the kind words guys....I still get lots of calls and emails for help and still helping those sort through their projects etc. Held on to a single Porsche, a 94 bastard of a turbo with no fourth gear, no heater tube through the body on the right side and bent rims. Took me apx 80 hours to get it running and the electrical issues sorted which has been a never ending battle. Still amazed at half the stuff done on this car, both good and bad! Now I know why it was never fixed.

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto