Water getting inside..still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 AM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water getting inside..still!!!

Hello all,
Well here we go again. I last had this problem, last spring, thought I'd fixed it with a new shift shaft tunnel seal. But, noooooo...it's back.

The problem is, water in the rear seat foot wells, worse on drivers side.

Here is the skinny;
Rear seat & all side carpets, dry as a bone.
Headliner, dry as a bone.
Carpet on rocker panels, dry as well.
Front foot wells ,dry as well (as long as not too much builds up in the rear, then it oozes forward on hard braking).
Light rain, no problem.
Wash car, no problem.
Spray car with hose from every conceivable angle, top, side, front, back, wheel wells, belly pan, no problem.
Drive the car in medium to heavy rain...soggy city!!!

Where the HELL is the water getting in from???? Is there some concealed magic hole / seam / etc. that I'm simply blind and can't see??

Anybody, help me out here, I simply can not be the only one that has had this problem.....russelfrusell#*@&*damn%+*&#freak'n#$%&*....UUURRGGHH!!

Mark
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Jeeze Mark, I remember trying to help out on this one last year. What a total bunch of crap it's still plaguing you! Best advise: Move away from the west side and join me in the central Sahara of the state. All we have to worry about over here is sand-pitted windshields and scratched paint...and heat soaked intercoolers on the 100+ days. There has to be a reason for this leaky ****. Thinkin' on it again....

Try this: Rather than spraying the outside of the car looking for entry points, try filling the car up with water to the window sills and see where it leaks out (allright, I'm sorry...just couldn't resist! Laughter is good healing medicine...and so is whiskey when things get really tough).

The rest of you out there...come on, Seattle is not the only wet area in the world. I'm thinking rust and mold and fungus and nasty stuff that should never reside in a Porsche if this doesn't get resolved.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM
powerlift330
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that it's coming in from the undercarriage somewhere. Try pulling your carpet out and looking underneath.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
fullquack
Racer

You all are going to have to try harder than that...please...

I've had the carpet out 3-4 times a week!! For all of last spring!! I've stripped out the trunk, several times.

Hell, I've even placed folded up paper towels in each & every conceivable location in an attempt to find the source, only to find everything dry for days. Then bamm.... every single towel will get wet on 1 trip to the office.

Once last year, I errored and drove through a flooded road, about 6" of water(I have 2" of ground clearance). Hell, it was like a submarine with a screen door!!
If I don't find this water leak soon, I might as well just put some Koi in there and call it good!
Mark
Old 04-04-2009, 01:08 AM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem a year ago. It was the rear driver’s side window. By looking at it there were no discernable cracks but a friend advised me to place some clear silicone around the edges and it stopped the leaks. Spraying the car with water won’t for a few seconds wouldn’t get mine to leak either but when I misted it for several minutes and water began to pool that’s when mine would leak like a sieve. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
turboGary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my daily driver, 96' Grand am..... I drilled holes in the floor so it could drain right away as I couldn't find the problem either. I wouldn't advise you to do the same though
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Did you check the sunroof drainage holes for blockage? I've heard these may block up over time. They're visible when you lift the rear lid....near the hinge areas.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:15 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you sprayed water from below? There are several areas around the tunnel and I know just above the rear fuel pump, there is an opening plugged with the thinnest of plugs. Maybe the right side as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
fullquack
Racer

Hey guys,
Keep up with the ideas, here is an update.
Ok, I had already checked the sunroof drain holes, even blew compressed air thru them to be sure, they are fine.
Washed the car today, and guess what, yep water in the rear foot wells again. Not a whole bunch, but this is a NEW twist. So decided to sit in the car and think about what it could be.
Then it accured to me, that normally, I do not have the front fresh air vent, open when driving in the rain, but noticed that the control **** was slid to the open position, not quite to the point of turning on the fan, but enough to open that flapper.
So I'm thinking that maybe my heater / ventilation box drains are plugged, and the water is running down inside, and then backing up into the rocker panel heater channels. Then when driving, the water would naturally move to the back of the car in the heater channels, but then it would stop where the channels turn to go up to the cable operate flapper valves. This would explain why the water is oozing out into the foot wells in the rear. I'm sure the heater channels are only spot welded to the pan, therefore small gaps would allow the water inside to escape onto the floor boards.
What do you guys think??? I will look into it more on Sunday, if time allows.

Thanks agian for the ideas.
Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Living where you live this would get annoying very quickly!

Don't know about the scenario with the air vents. It seems the water would take a lot longer to get to the foot wheels.
Have you taken off the rear wheels and inspected the wheel wells for holes/cracks, door seals, rear window seals?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
fullquack
Racer

Hey guys,
Think the little mystery might have been solved. I spent quite awhile today with a hose & patience. I went over the car, from one point to another & did some serious fire hose effort. At first I had no success in finding any kind of leak.
Then I noticed that the small little pools of water that always build up in both bottom corners of the rear window had disappeared. I usually have to wipe those up with the chamois, after washing the car.
So I sprayed a little water onto the rear window again, and watched the pools of water for a few minutes, nothing happened...then all of a sudden...Whoosh.
So I tried it again, same thing, pools filled with water & just sat there, 2-3 minutes pass, nothing...then once again, Whoosh gone.
All I can figure out is that the water is traveling down the inside of the rear wheel well, missing the rear seat & carpet, & oozing out onto the floor. I did not keep doing the puddle dance, enough times to get water coming out onto the rear foot well area, but I think it is fairly apparent where the water is getting into at.
So I'll order up a new rear window seal, as see where that takes me. If nothing else, it will at least get 2 water leak spots cured.
Thanks again for your efforts!
Mark

Last edited by fullquack; 04-05-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Water getting inside..still!!!