intercooler seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default intercooler seal

On my car there is a rubber seal on the intercooler-to-bov housing side (#3 in the diagram) but not on the turbo pressure-to-intercooler side. In the PET it looks like the seal should go on the pressure-intercooler side, but I can't tell for sure because PET only shows the one side of the intercooler (grr). Can anyone confirm there is not a rubber seal on both sides of the intercooler?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Troy: I couldn't see the rest of the PeT diagram....what's #25 called? Is that the boost sending unit?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes it is: "pressure transmitter boost pressure". Interestingly enough, it has a 993 part number.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, that diagram is different than my setup. I think it's '89 only.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I've been looking for someone who has one...mine fluctuates and seems to be struggling a bit. I thought it was because of a bad ground from the new b6 intercooler, but I put in a good ground and it still fluctuates. From what I found, they used the same boost gauge sending unit from 78 ll the way thru 90's 993's, so the last PET number is most likely the 993 designation.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car only had it as shown. To me, it seems more like spacer as it was not tight. I got tired of messing with it when R&Ring my intercooler so I left it off years ago.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

#3 in the PET diagram is just a rubber sealing ring, not to be confused with an O'ring. There was one on my car when I first got it and I'll be damned if I know the purpose, 'cause I've been operating without one in place for years since the first time I took off the intercooler. It's far too loose to seal anything, and in my mind all it does is hide the gap between the intercooler inlet and the turbo outlet pipe - where the two join together. That's the only location for it, to answer your question, that I'm aware of.

But wait! Looking at the diagrams that Pelican has to offer https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...89_KATALOG.pdf (go to the link and look at page 62) you will see where they list another such mystery ring at the bottom of the air tube to the intercooler. I do believe it's to add some rubber-to-metal protection where the tube comes through the rear engine tin. In effect, seal out the weather from coming up through the engine tin. That's my best guess.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I belive your right mark. There is another seal at the engine tin and the pipe. There maybe another one on the turbo oil feed line. They've all been ditched as well.

But wait! Looking at the diagrams that Pelican has to offer...(go to the link and look at page 62) you will see where they list another such mystery ring at the bottom of the air tube to the intercooler. I do believe it's to add some rubber-to-metal protection where the tube comes through the rear engine tin. In effect, seal out the weather from coming up through the engine tin. That's my best guess.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! I'm going to get some new o-rings and a new sealing ring too, figure it can't hurt. On my car I could see it being tight, the gap between the tube and the ic is < 1mm now.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm running without that orange rubber buffer too....as was said earlier...I think it's just a rubber buffer between the intercooler and the metal up pipe....because it doesn't really seal anything. The seal is produced by the rubber O ring that goes down inside the metal up pipe around the intercooler tube.

I inadvertantly sliced my buffer, but I think I'm going to put one back on...maybe it's to keep it from rattling or vibrating.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have something that sounds like what you guys have but maybe a little different. Where the up pipe meets the IC down pipe I have a black wide rubber washer, more like a band with a ridge inside of it right around the exact center of the band. This fits around both pipes and the ridge forms a washer/spacer between thwe two. Then there is a German hose clamp fits over the band and snuggly compresses the band into the joint together. Is this what you guys have?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Yep, that's it exactly, but I don't have the wide hose clamp that goes over it (I always thought there should be a hose clamp to "squeeze" it in order to make some sort of seal). WIthout the hose clamp, it would just sit there loosely and have no purpose. Either way, I don't use it. The internal O'ring seems sufficient to seal things.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

+1

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Yep, that's it exactly, but I don't have the wide hose clamp that goes over it (I always thought there should be a hose clamp to "squeeze" it in order to make some sort of seal). WIthout the hose clamp, it would just sit there loosely and have no purpose. Either way, I don't use it. The internal O'ring seems sufficient to seal things.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Rudy: Do you have a picture of that black rubber ring? It sounds like something that I might like to chase down....with the ridge on it, it may be an upgrade from what they originally had on their for the first iteration they came out with in 87. I know that the 89 uses an oil cooler fan on the back of the rear fender mounted oil cooler.....the 87 has one on the bottom of the oil cooler that pushes air up from the bottom...so they made some changes as they went along...most likely for the better.

Quick Reply: intercooler seal