911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone who had a power bleeder read this

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who had a power bleeder read this

I swapped over to the brake pads I use at the track today. I hooked up the power bleeder and went back to start bleeding the first caliper. I Heard a pop then a hiss. I walked up to the front just to see the last little bit of brake fluid in the power bleeder spraying all over the trunk inside. I have a nice carpet Kit thats now soaked with brake fluid. The hose split, so I recomend to anyone who has one to replace the hose that comes with the power bleeder with something better.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
JGMACHINE
Advanced

I just got one from the wife on x-mas... i have not used it yet. Let me know what you come up with as an fix. at first thought, I am betting I can put another hose over the "stock" hose a as a failsafe...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Which model do you have? Think the 'black' model has any better hose? How old is it? Could the hose have gotten damaged in storage?

Thanks for the heads up.

RT
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
87turbo
Intermediate

kens911,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Have you cleaned up the brake fluid yet? The fluid is soluble in water and if cleaned up immediatley will not harm the paint and other stuff. When I spill brake fluid, I use a warm solution of water and mild soap, like the liquid dishwashing stuff used for washing by hand not the automatic dishwasher soap.

Also, the carpet can be cleaned if soaked and rinsed in warm water. I use a bathtub to clean my carpet. Also use mild soap. Don't use brush, just soak and use your hands to move water and soap around gently. Rinse throughly and allow to drain. You can also pat with dry towels, etc.

I've used this technique many times with Porsche carpet and no problems. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so typial of the chinese goods coming over....they usually cut corners on some of the parts...maybe not all the part, but there's a mindset to save every bit possible...and in this case, it looks like the hose was not up to standards. This is a good post to remind folks buying the Chinese goods (I buy quite a few of the Chinese metrics from Harbor Frieight)...that in some cases, their quality control is not up to par. That's why I buy their tools....(they're cheaper than the US mades ) I just throw them away when if they break or wear out.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
JFairman
Racer

I only use the power bleeder cap that screws on in place of the origonal cap.

For pressure I use my air compressor with a regulator turned down to about 10psi. Then hook together a hose that fits on the power bleeder cap from the regular air compressor hose.
You have to remove the little overflow hose from the plastic tank in the car and plug it, and stop and refill the tank often with brake fluid but it works.
The cap alone is alot cheaper than the whole kit.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I have the one thats the white bottle with the light colored hose it's a couple years old. the hose wasnt damaged just crappy quality. Fortunately i was changing fluid from super blue to the gold. and not the other way around otherwise everything would have been stained blue. I cleaned it all up but what a pain. I would recomend replacing the hose with something good.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This has never happened to me but I always place the pressure bottle in a big foil roasting pan (like for a turkey) in case a failure happens. Won't prevent a total mess but will contain most fluid in the event of a falure or someone(sic) knocking the bottle over when the cap is off!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know.

I've not used mine in awile, but the first time I did I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't hold pressure and where the fluid was going. After walking aroung the car a few times I noticed a large 16 oz puddle on the floor. Gotta clamp off that overflowfor it to work right.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

I did the same thing at the track once and made a huge mess. Now, I carry a pair of welder's vice grips that have little flat plates for jaws that works great to clamp off the overflow. Just have to remember to remove it when you are done.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious, how high did you pump the pressure?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know PSI, but I pump it up until its hard to pump more. I have to go back and pump it back up every so often. I just don't see using a lot of pressure.

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Curious, how high did you pump the pressure?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

I usually pump it up tp 15 psi, then let it drop to about 10 before repumping. Usually can do 2 calipers before the pressure drops below 10.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I pumped it up to 15 pounds. the first time i used i also forgot to clamp the overflow lol made a huge puddle under the car.

Quick Reply: Anyone who had a power bleeder read this