Garage Modifications / 930

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
JGMACHINE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Modifications / 930

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I have posted. After 9 months of trying to purchase a house due to a "short sale", my wife and I just moved in. My favorite room is the 3.5 car garage. My old garage was a 2car, with a checkered floor. This is surely a good home for the 930 and Z...

I basically have a blank slate to build from.... I installed a vacumn and here is my "to do / wish" list...

1) hanging cabnits along back wall (I have Craftsman cabnits, but not yet installed)

2) ceramic tile on the floor. I had a product from mid america, but the white tiles turned yellow, so I would rather do it right and go with a high quality ceramic.

3) 4 post lift, Thinking from greg smith... Propark...

4) wash sink

5) air compressor retracting hose from ceiling...

6) TV to watch powerblock on weekends...

I am looking for suggestions, so please let me know if you have any... Few pic's from last weekend...

All cleaned up...........

My helper..........
Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! That dog cleaned up good.

Cars look good too.

I'm not sure if I would go with a ceramic tile floor. While it may look good, rolling anything on it won't be fun. You might get a grout sealer, but I'm not sure how well it will work over time to grease, oil, etc.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
jly535
Instructor

Tile would look nice, but I wouldn't use it, dropping tools and breaking tiles is no fun. I would go with a highend polyurethane floor coating system, easy to clean, and hold up well, its all about the prep work, and lots of colors to pic from, and you can customize floor with different colors, such as a Porsche logo or something. I am still waiting to build my dream house so I can do this personally, but saw a friends garage and it looked beautiful. Oh and I forgot, neon beers signs are a must!!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
JGMACHINE
Advanced

This is a guys floor I saw at corvette forum. I love it. It is ceramic.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic of what I've done so far. I'm planning to do a four post lift some time next Spring. I agree with the other comments on ceramic tile, if you actually work in your garage, I'd go with an epoxy floor coating. I'm getting ready to tear down the 930 for a repaint, might actually make my third bay a booth to help isolate the mess! (and no I won't be painting the car in there, just some prep work).
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 AM
356-930
Advanced

Originally Posted by kas930
I'm planning to do a four post lift some time next Spring.
Why 4-post?
A 2-post is more practical for working on a car. One can safely drive 2nd car under raised car if it's storage one's after.
Don't know about NY but in SoCal it was cheaper to purchase and have installed my 11,000 lb. capacity 2-post that my 4-post storage lift.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

I'm not dead set on a 4 post, I haven't put too much thought into that yet. I'm thinking that long term I want to bring my jetski's home and keep them up on top most of the time. I'm sure that I'll have to do some customizing to what ever I buy. What model 2-post do you have?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not dead set on a 4 post, I haven't put too much thought into that yet. I'm thinking that long term I want to bring my jetski's home and keep them up on top most of the time. I'm sure that I'll have to do some customizing to what ever I buy. What model 2-post do you have?
I have a 2 post and I put one car on the lift and one below. The trailer scenario would work best on a 4 post'er........
Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the height if your garage ceiling? It looks one from your pics you might need to get a high lift kit for the garage doors if you have the room and want raise the lift with the doors open. Other wise, you'll have to close the door to raise it. Not sure how that will work?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Try posting your question and pictures to www.garagejournal.com

There are some amazing garages there and the guys/gals there often have great ideas.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 11-25-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 PM
356-930
Advanced

My lift & storage rack were purchased from Omega, a local fabricator.
This website link shows 2-post lifts that look exactly like mine:
http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...FQv7agodMX9u_A
You'll want to find a fabricator/supplier as close as practical. these things weigh a bunch. Shipping costs will be high if fabrication/supply is not local.
To store jetskis, fabricate/have fabricated some ramps, attach to lift arms, put the skis up.
Ceiling height may be an issue - there are lifts that don't raise as high. Still enough room to get under a car with a low chair.
I like Mark Shaw's suggestion: Try posting your question and pictures to www.garagejournal.com
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
kas930
Rennlist Member

I didn't mean to hi-jack the initial thread, but thanks for all of the feedback. My celings is around 11' tall, so I've got some room to work with. My first objective is to work with the garage door, remove the current drive system and replace with a Jackshaft type (probably a chamberlain liftmaster 3800). Then I'll have to see where it goes from there.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
JGMACHINE
Advanced

Default cabnits up

Had time over holiday to hang the 6 craftsman cabnits. They actually can be bolted together, so it makes a tight, seamless fit... I am going to order 2 more and go all the way across...

Quick Reply: Garage Modifications / 930