Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I couldn't disagree more, although I do agree there are exceptions to every rule. The issue here is they speak as though their pricing is the rule and it is more the exception.

Excellence seems to follow KBB with a small % added to separate them depending on rarity and model type. Although try finding these cars for the deals they claim and you too will agree their pricing is more the exception than it is the rule that these cars sell for what they claim.
Fair enough -- I must admit I misspoke as I am really only referring to 930 prices as that is all I watch. When I owned a 944 I watched NA and Turbo prices and they were pretty close. I don't pay attention to any other 911 Turbo prices as I wouldn't be able to afford them anyway and I only own a 930.

Are you saying Excellence 930 prices are too low? Or just MY to MY varies too much?

-Matt
Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little off topic but...

Originally Posted by S_Craig
With no computer aided traction control, braking, or suspension, it is arguably the most dangerous bronco in the Porsche stable, especially after modifying the power plant to generate more horsepower. With lowered stance, big brakes, and fat wheel/tire combo these cars are menacing.
Amen brother...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on S_Craig and Guns above....

re: Excellence pricing, fwiw I paid approx. $48,000 in March 2006 for my 89 930. So in my case happens to be close to what they say. Never thought I paid too much and could not have been happier even though the car started immediately costing me the kind of money I had never in my worst nightmares dreamed of spending on a car for maintenance/modifications.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Olli: You came out in the open with an honest answer...so I guess I can add that I paid $45,000 for my 87 factory slant back in Feb of 06....and even tho it checked out fairly well, and is almost concours material, the CDI went out in a month, front brakes, and the expected corroded connections and hardened/cracked vacuum lines that comes from a car being covered and stored for a coupe years. I've spent probably another $2K buying up parts a bit at a time...SSI exhaust, Tial wastegate, B6 intercooler etc so those costs were self inflicted to get a bit more performance....but still keeping all the original parts for an eventual buyer who wants to see the unmolested original. It's obvious that the folks who paid a bit more than the usual $20-35K prices you see....are reticent about coming out and admitting that they paid quite a bit more ,for a 930, but I think the time is coming where the prices will go up to the point that folks won't be ashamed to admit they paid a bit more...especially for a car that has minimal issues. There are folks who pay $25K, then end up dumping in another $20k in fix-its....so in reality a higher priced car that needs very little more done is technically in the same $$$ category as a lower priced one that needed a bunch of CPR.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
ferraripete
Racer

i am more than willing to admit i spent more than $35k for my 87 w/18k miles back in 2005.

looked at a bunch of high $20k cars and they would have cost me $15-20k to bring them up to the standard that my 18k mile car was at.

it always pays to buy the best you can afford...invariably you will pay less in the long run.

pcb
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hat's off to you for joining in the confessions. The problem is that folks are so afraid of being criticized for spending what some might consider as excess...that they say nothing and add to the growing number of folks who only report the great barn finds or other once-in-a-lifetime deals for $20K or slightly more. That in turn drags down the true value of the cars that are on the market and being bought for more than what's being reported.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
My hat's off to you for joining in the confessions. The problem is that folks are so afraid of being criticized for spending what some might consider as excess...that they say nothing and add to the growing number of folks who only report the great barn finds or other once-in-a-lifetime deals for $20K or slightly more. That in turn drags down the true value of the cars that are on the market and being bought for more than what's being reported.
i agree fully!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by ferraripete
looked at a bunch of high $20k cars and they would have cost me $15-20k to bring them up to the standard that my 18k mile car was at.

it always pays to buy the best you can afford...invariably you will pay less in the long run.

pcb
This is so true.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
blown daytona
Intermediate

The 930 is the Classic Porsche. Its one of the posters,kids had on their walls in the 70-80's along with the Countach and Testarossa. It is only a matter of time when it will be harder to find an excellent unmolested example, thus continueing the price escalation. I own a repair shop and am quite capable of buying a cheap car and fixing it up. Take it from me, buy the nicest one you can afford and enjoy it. Fixer uppers cost more in the long run. (you cant make a virgin out of a hooker)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
turboGary
Racer

My 87 factory slantnose is 100% original other than tires. I bought it 4 years ago with 65,000kms and paid $70K. It was apraised at $90K at the time.

I know appraisals are inflated for insurance reasons. I just had it re-appraised and it was valued at $70K, a reduction of $20K. I had it done by the same person who did the first one. I have it list for sale right now for $58 and no bites.

PS I have the original stereo and steering wheel.

Is there any values for Special wishes car in Excellence?

Last edited by turboGary; 02-08-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Gary- that steering wheel is original? I've never seen that type before.

Excellence does not have a section for Special Wishes cars.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
turboGary
Racer

Originally Posted by jimculp
Gary- that steering wheel is original? I've never seen that type before.

Excellence does not have a section for Special Wishes cars.
No, the one shown is a Momo. I have the original tucked away. I may put it back on though before selling.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by turboGary
No, the one shown is a Momo. I have the original tucked away. I may put it back on though before selling.
They do mention the slope nose or flachbau turbo S optioned cars as worth additional over stock. The numbers are still too low IMO.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car and reasonable price. The article did mention that prices fluctuate with the general economy etc. and we might have a temporary lull here for high priced Art like this.
From an overall standpoint we are witnessing much more of an upswing in the lower rungs of the Real Estate market and lack of interest in the upper down here.

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine pricing