911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Excellence Magazine pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excellence Magazine pricing

Did anyone notice the recent pricing of early 930's in the most recent issue of Excellence magazine ? It shows an excellent example of the '78/79 930 being worth $43K !! Lets all hope that trend continues.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 AM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will. the folks that try to talk the pricing down are largely on this site! i thin the cars a re a bargain in the 50k range!!! what else can you buy like it???
Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone post up the chart?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Here you go:

Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM
S_Craig
Intermediate

The 930 is an exceptionally well engineered, beautifully executed design that looks contemporary even today. With no computer aided traction control, braking, or suspension, it is arguably the most dangerous bronco in the Porsche stable, especially after modifying the power plant to generate more horsepower. With lowered stance, big brakes, and fat wheel/tire combo these cars are menacing. Up until 1989 the 930 was a largely a hand built car. There is nothing about these cars that feels cheap.
This all adds up to “cache,” or should I say “cash.”
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2008, 12:28 PM
powerlift330
Advanced

Does anyone have a value chart that includes the grey market cars? I have an 82'.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I wouldn't go by anything they say.

Find me a 94 turbo in any condition that doesn't have major issues for $50,900 in fact find me a half decent 94 turbo for under $60k and I will take 6. They are so out of touch with reality and have no idea where they are getting their pricing from but it is all over the place. Just like you can find a 993 turbo S for $95k or a 94 turbo S for $75,900 LOL.

These reports are long past due fro the scrap heap.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
DRV2FST
Instructor

Has anyone else noticed that Porsche website users (either here or Pelican) always claim to buy their 930's with low miles in the low $20k's. A few years later they post the same car for sell with much higher mile but now they think it is worth $50k. Sometimes it is frustrating to see that so many paid so little for these cars then when they try to sell them ask so much more.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
ferraripete
Racer

in the ferrari world, especially when considering the vintage cars, we don't talk the prices down but actually keep control as best we can by some extent working together.

the 930 thread on pelican parts that the posters seem to bragging about their $20k turbos is laughable.

1) i can only imagine the condition of a $20k turbo...clearly not a car i would own

2) they seem to mock richard sloane for his high pricing...well folks, he seems to get his prices so maybe those complaining are too low?

3) last, be careful what you read and in turn believe...you know what your nice car is worth and i trust you would laugh at an offer in the mid to high $20's

Last edited by ferraripete; 09-03-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 PM
jly535
Instructor

Default Very happy with my $20k 930

Actually not all $20k 930 are laughable, I paid $16k for my 77 930 with 63k original miles and rebuilt motor at 58k, perfect interior, paint blemishes on hood, needed new tires and brake pads and a couple cracks in stock exhaust which was replaced with B&B, all in all I only have $22k total in my 930 and still feel I got a great deal. Excellence pricing seems to be very optimistic which just makes me feel better about what I paid, it will reach those high values soon, but 930 is with me for the rest of my life.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jly535
Actually not all $20k 930 are laughable, I paid $16k for my 77 930 with 63k original miles and rebuilt motor at 58k, perfect interior, paint blemishes on hood, needed new tires and brake pads and a couple cracks in stock exhaust which was replaced with B&B, all in all I only have $22k total in my 930 and still feel I got a great deal. Excellence pricing seems to be very optimistic which just makes me feel better about what I paid, it will reach those high values soon, but 930 is with me for the rest of my life.
Did you consider the fact that you just got a really good deal? Excellence is very reliable when it comes down to it. But there are exceptions to every rule. I will not disclose what I paid for my 930 with 62k miles because I simply got a good deal--I have known the previous owner since I was 17 (he purchased the car in 1992). So it would not be accurate nor would it be fair to those who might have paid more if I offered up my price as something they should expect for theirs or expect to pay for one. I had instant equity when I purchased my 930, and it will only go up.

I sincerely doubt Excellence MU is arbitrary, which is what alot of people say.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Did you consider the fact that you just got a really good deal? Excellence is very reliable when it comes down to it. But there are exceptions to every rule. I will not disclose what I paid for my 930 with 62k miles because I simply got a good deal--I have known the previous owner since I was 17 (he purchased the car in 1992). So it would not be accurate nor would it be fair to those who might have paid more if I offered up my price as something they should expect for theirs or expect to pay for one. I had instant equity when I purchased my 930, and it will only go up.

good post. there are 930 collectors and those that deal in these cars daily like richard sloane and others...they know what the market will bare. as for me, i knew what i was willing to pay for my 18k mile, marine blue beauty.

it was considerably more than $20k and worth every penny!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
in the ferrari world, especially when considering the vintage cars, we don't talk the prices down but actually keep control as best we can by some extent working together.

the 930 thread on pelican parts that the posters seem to bragging about their $20k turbos is laughable.

1) i can only imagine the condition of a $20k turbo...clearly not a car i would own

2) they seem to mock richard sloane for his high pricing...well folks, he seems to get his prices so maybe those complaining are too low?

3) last, be careful what you read and in turn believe...you know what your nice car is worth and i trust you would laugh at an offer in the mid to high $20's
That's me Pete. My 86 $20k turbo was really neglected and just needed a good cleaning. It's a car that is fun to drive and I don't have to worry too much about it. My cats even sleep and play on the car and it doesn't bother me. My concours 79 is another story as I don't take anywhere for fear of damage to the car.

In the end, people will pay what they want for cars. Some get really good deals and are extremely happy. Others need that pristine, low mileage car and will pay a premium for it. I just say whatever floats your boat and makes you happy!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.

I couldn't disagree more, although I do agree there are exceptions to every rule. The issue here is they speak as though their pricing is the rule and it is more the exception.

I find them to be more wrong than right. There are some cars they are too high and others they are way too low. Worse yet is many people try to buy cars and use this as a guideline. I have had a few come to me and quote Excellence pricing on cars I was selling and all I could do was laugh. I have followed some models religiously since 2000 and they haven't gotten the market right once in all these years.

They are so far off on the '94 turbo market which is so much higher than they list, there numbers aren't even close. The 91-92 turbos are at a min $5kto $10k more. '94 Turbo S's sell in the $120+ range some as high as $180k. Not a single one has sold for under $89k ever and they say fair market value is in the $70's. That car sold low back when the market was slow, had issues and if it were on the market again today it would easily fetch over $100k.

The stock '94 turbos hit bottom in 2003 and I could have found you several for what they claim you can find one for today. The market has been on a steady increase since and their numbers are low on average by about $15k - $20k. That is not a slight mistake. A '94 brings high $50's for cars in fair to low condition and nice cars bring considerably more. Although half decent cars can be found for mid $60k's they are usually not complete with records or have paint issues, resprays or some hidden repairs needed. Excellent cars bring well into the high $80k's to $90k's. Yet they claim you can find an excellent 94 turbo for around $51K that's laughable. I have seen seriously damaged 94's with salvage titles needing complete rebuilds, paint, parts, wheels etc sell for $36k and they claim you can get a low condition drivable car for $33k.

They are closer to reality with the 928GTS market than they are with the turbo market and even that is on the low side.

When I sold my excellent condition 914 2.0l back in 2004 they said it was worth $6k I sold it for $9500 and a year ago it sold for $14,500. I have seen a few decent 914's go cheap but any really nice condition 2.0l is commanding big $$ today. I recently saw a low mileage stock 73 2.0l sell near $20k. Don't even look at 356 pricing because now we are talking major discrepancy.

Excellence seems to follow KBB with a small % added to separate them depending on rarity and model type. Although try finding these cars for the deals they claim and you too will agree their pricing is more the exception than it is the rule that these cars sell for what they claim.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

S. craig has got it right(in my view) These cars are still extraordinarily fast and if they are modified right they are ballistic. More inportantly they are comparatively dependable--Ferraris, Lambos,Astons of the era just were not practical as daily drivers nor were they as fast. The repair bills and constant rebuilds are killers( I am not saying we are exactly in the world of cheap of course).
My theory is to NOT confuse or compare a 930 to a 996 Turbo--they are completely different and the market is treating them as such. I`ll stick with my 930 Thank you. Also it is by definition more exsclusive.
One more thing, i have a buddy who parked his 997 next to my car (same color) and we were talking in front of the cars--I looked at both of them from a front angle and it is amazing how the 997 has recaptured the original big fenders and squat look they had lost in the 996.
The 930s are worth all the money and more!

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine pricing