911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

I want your car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:39 AM
turbosnail
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want your car!

Hey guys. My name's Lou, and I currently drive a 2000 audi s4 with a ton of mods. It's time for something new, and I think I'm ready for a p-car. I couldn't find a want to buy section, so I'm posting here. If anyone has a high mileage car (don't care how many, 100k, 200k, I'm not scared!) they want to get rid of, please let me know. Turbo is definitely a big plus. My budget is limited, because I am a student studying medicine, but I'm sure we could make it work. Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all. This community is definitely something special

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your budget is tight then you don't want a 930.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
prials
Intermediate

You need to have a budget that will allow you to properly care and feed your P-car.

I agree with Geoffrey, if your budget is limited and you are looking for a 'cheap' 930 .... it will be easier to find a unicorn.

You choice is to buy at the low end of the spectrum and sink a boatload of money for high maintenence costs

....................... or ........................

You can buy at the high end of the spectrum for a fully sorted 930.

At the end of the day, wherever you buy on the spectrum, low-middle-high, these cars end up costing about the same. A 930 is not the car for someone with limited funds.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

Man...I studied the wrong discipline in College, how does a student studying medicine afford or even want a 930...I need to re-think professions as the toe nail cleaning business I own is not cutting it!

Yasin
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Olli
Racer

Great to hear about your enthusiasm for the 930 cars and I hope you will find one. They are worth every cent you put in them.

It is true, however, that these cars can be high maintenance and expensive cars if you don't get a well sorted one. For you to sort one out yourself may require a significant financial commitment.

On this forum there is another thread which has the following post showing a well sorted car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...17&postcount=6

I don't know the seller except from this board. Therefore I have no affiliation.

Whatever the price might be, you can be fairly certain that for you to sort one out may end up costing double if you try and produce the same thing as what is offered.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
vascott99
Instructor

I would start looking for a 911SC...It is more in line with the term "Limited Budget" (No offense to the peanut gallery) You can find one that has been upgraded\engine rebuilt etc..and they are a solid fun car...

Between this site and the local forums in your area...People will help and teach you the finer points of owning a P-car...They need attention...and it helps to be a DIY kind of person….Since you are in school for medicine...Your time is limited...I would focus more time on studying then tooling around in a Porsche. Your time will come and then you will be able to get the car you want...

Ask away with questions if you are dead set on getting one.. The people here will gladly spend your money and steer you in the right direction.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
turbosnail
AutoX

Thanks for the tips. I am very DIY oriented and have taken my car completely apart numerous times. In the car I come from, parts and service can get very expensive, but I've offset it by being handy.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Sounds like you are on the same road I went down. Buy a 69 corvette for $8,500, sink in $35,000, sell for $14,000!

LOL
Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Mr. turbosnail-

While I wholeheartedly agree with all of what everyone has said here - it'd be beyond silly for a med student to delve into a 930 on a budget - I'm copy / pasting from another Rennlist post of mine today about a friend's car... in case you're adamant. I too came from the Audi turbo world, albeit I5t, not V6tt, and continue on in the N/A 40v world with my //S8. Let me *assure* you the peripheral costs of 930 ownership are orders-of-magnitude above / beyond that of your B5.

That said, here's the snippet:

I have a local longtime Pfantatic bud that's considering parting with his '79. Guards over black, think sport seats. Has ~ 110k on it, but recent $10k engine build, K29, Koklen I/C, twinplug, Electromotive, port / polish, clutch / exhaust, etc. Car runs amazingly strong, and looks good from afar. Paint is drying up but body is nice - maybe a 6.5 overall. Interior is maybe a 7.5. Dunno, maybe I'm being too hard on it - again from afar it looks real good. Front end is squirelly under braking, likely needs to be rebushed.

I'm not sure, but I *think* he's looking for $24k. We're in Connecticut - shoot me an email for his contact info. Here's a shot, his is to the right, mine far left:

I have more pics avail. via email.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I want your car!