syncros

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
LOL, that was so funny!

Hmmm... didn't seem so much at the time 8-).

Luckily he's a real good friend... and with wayway cooler toys than I'll *ever* dream of having, and he's extremely generous with his keys so I grit'd and bear'd it with an uh - yeah - it, uhhhh... "does that"...

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I mean't to add that Paul Guard would be the person to talk to about cryo stuff.

Paul, yeah it must of sucked big time. I guess that's why it was so funny when I read it, I've done it myself to my 915 and it's very annoying to say the least.
If you think you may have lost a tooth you should drain the oil and remove the shift fork plate from the tranny to remove it. You don't want a tooth getting in the wrong place... It's only four M8 nyloc's.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't thought about that, but it's a good idea. I had a place north of Atlanta, GA do my stock rotors and they have been great compared to stock non-cryo rotors.

I'm guessing you could get the dogs cryogened (sp?)
Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Paul, yeah it must of sucked big time. I guess that's why it was so funny when I read it, I've done it myself to my 915 and it's very annoying to say the least.

If you think you may have lost a tooth you should drain the oil and remove the shift fork plate from the tranny to remove it. You don't want a tooth getting in the wrong place... It's only four M8 nyloc's.
Well I don't "think" I lost a tooth - but hey whatta I know? Seems to operate fine.

I've graunched first at least a handful of times trying to get it to engage on the fly. These cars really need the ability to grab first while on the (slow) go, it's annoying they are so reluctant. That was even with my double clutching and match rev shifting and "asking" for it. Lame.

Also, it's odd - sometimes out of nowhere I'll start the car in neutral, put clutch to floor, and do my typical '2nd to 1st' routine (in most cars this lines up the synchros nicely, does NOT seem to be the case in the 930 for some? reason), and I'll get a bit of a grind. WTF? I'm likely going to stop this routine but unfort. it's my wrist's habit so it's tough to break. 1st seems to engage better with OUT doing 2nd first, which is just odd. Whatever.

I'll look into dropping the fluid sometime. To do list never ends 8-).

Thanks for the thoughts Nathan.

-Paul
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I know that Richard Chamberlain uses Paul Guards cryo'd stuff in his 930 and that's a pretty awesome machine just in case you guys in the USA don't know who he is. He hands GT2's their asses in the Porsche GB Open Series. I think he is running approx 700bhp through his 930 tranny.
http://www.jazweb.co.uk/porscheopen/...ce2-result.asp

Paul, I think the trying 2nd gear first thing shouldn't work as it is the force of the cones being pushed trying to match the shafts speeds. The cones are very similair if not the same for 1st and 2nd. AFAIK the only difference between 1st and 2nd is the shape/cut of the dog teeth which will not have any effect until you actually try to engage gear. 1st gear dogs are actually cut to enhance their selection but I'm not sure if it's to assist selecting 1st while stationary or for assisting downshifting from 2nd to 1st to get in the powerband.

If you get regular grinding then it's time for a rebuild as the swarf will only damage everything...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

thanks Nathan - gotchya

oh no, it's not at all regular grinding

3rd was redone last year and PO was told 1 & 2 looked great and to not bother doing

-Paul
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Are you saying that 1 and 2 are still original?

Quick Reply: syncros