Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Leakdown Test/acceptable ranges?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leakdown Test/acceptable ranges?

First of all, I have done a search for the subject of a Leakdown Test...and I find a lot about the need to get one along with a PPI when buying a car...but I'm looking for the figures or range of what's considered as acceptable for a range for a given engine.

I have an 87 930 with 54K miles on it, and they've pulled the engine to put in new gaskets and some seals that were leaking. I'm trying to determine what the leakdown figures should be on an engine with that sort of mileage on it. In the event the %'s are high....what's a decent $$$ amount to pay for a top end rebuild...I would guess valve job and guides?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Chuck

Good evening.

I just had a leakdown on my motor. I own an 87-930 and it came back around 2-3% for each cylinder. Now, that is a very low number for having 96k on my car and if your engine has been taken care of (valve adjustments on schedule, etc.) for the 54k that are on the car, I would imagine yours would be similar.

Your car could really be anywhere, but I've heard that at 5% your OK, and at 10% they would recommend some work. Anything in the middle is up to the owner and where they are in the process to justify this work. I do not know about cost but I'm sure someone will reply soon with that info.

Not sure how much this will help, but thought I would chime in anyways.

Have a great night. Let me know when you want to come to see the ride.

Bryan
Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

I agree with Bryan's response.

Yasin
Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thank you Bryan and Yasin: That helps me put things into perspective a bit. I do have to say that your engine with 96K miles on it still pulling down 3% on a leakdown is a testament to either the engine or your diligent maintenance....or both.....
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to recall that in the teens means there is a problem, anything below that is good. It was also recommended to do this hot...
Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the temprature.

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I seem to recall that in the teens means there is a problem, anything below that is good. It was also recommended to do this hot...
Old 04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
+1 on the temprature.
Temperature..?? Nathan means 13%-19% (thirteen - nineteen) leakdown...

Yasin
Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default Here we go

Temperature means that the leak down should be done on a warm motor, not a cold one. The car should be running, then shut down and then the leak down performed.

As to NathanUK's comments, I think 13-19% is a pretty shot motor. I would say that if you have 10% you may want to look deeper into how long you want to drive the car before you do some major work.

I'm sure that Chucks car will not be in the double digits (I hope) an he can determine how much life it has left. With 54k miles, I'm sure he has a lot of life left unless the thing has been abused which it does not sound like.

Chuck, yes I was suprised with the 3% myself as my car does not have a well documented history, so it was nice to hear. Let us know when you find out the numbers on the leak-down.

Best of luck!

Bryan
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He also mentions it being hot...

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Temperature..?? Nathan means 13%-19% (thirteen - nineteen) leakdown...

Yasin

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
...It was also recommended to do this hot...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Remember that any debris when you remove your spark plugs may sit on a valve and give you some false readings (higher numbers) and I'm not sure I would pull apart my engine for 10% when it could just be some debris.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I got the word today that the leakdown figures all the way across all cylinders was 3 and 4%....needless to say, I'm very pleased with those figures. The car should be back this weekend. They reinstalled the engine with all new Blown Six intercooler, SSI system in it, new turbo,Tial,clutch, valve adjustment, powder coated and hoses color coded to match the red and black motif. I'll take some pictures and post.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Let us know how different it feels to drive.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I got the word today that the leakdown figures all the way across all cylinders was 3 and 4%....needless to say, I'm very pleased with those figures. The car should be back this weekend. They reinstalled the engine with all new Blown Six intercooler, SSI system in it, new turbo,Tial,clutch, valve adjustment, powder coated and hoses color coded to match the red and black motif. I'll take some pictures and post.
Thats been a long time coming Chuck, you must have been blowing the cob webs out of the parts you've been collecting Hope it goes well for you, you'll love the extra power, it's how the 930 should have always been! What turbo did you go with?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default Great!

Chuck, glad to see the results were on spot, just as I suspected. Once you get it back, you will need to put 100 miles or so (recommended by Imagine Auto) before you get into boost.

I'm guessing that a trip to Fresno is in order. This may be too soon, but we have a Euro day this Sunday and all the good ones come out to play... Ferarri's, Lambo's, Ford Gt's, Pantera's, Porsche's etc. If not, give me a call and we can arrange a good time to make the trip.

Good News!!

Bryan
Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Yes Bryan...it's due here Saturday and I dont' know if I'd make a Fresno trip that soon. I'd want to stick around closer to home for a couple hundred miles or so....not that I'm thinking about flatbedding it back home on a CSAA truck or anything .....

Nathan: You're right...I think by the the last count I had killed three black widows, one wolf spider, and a found a brown recluse web....it's been a Loooonnng time coming and now it's time has come. The builder told me to expect another 150HP...but we'll see. I ended up just using the K27 7200 turbo since I'm not after big numbers...more into longevity and reliability (not suggesting the HFS isn't reliable)...but also the overall driveability and with another 150 HP...I'll be happy with the numbers. The builder has taken pictures of the whole build process before, during, and after.... and promises that the results will be "extremely pleasing to the eye" as well as super performance. I had him go thru everything from stem to stern...repack wheel bearings, new ignition wiring, fuses, relays, oil lines, all fluids etc etc etc. The acid test will be my first wild ride....then I'll plan a trip to Fresno Bryan...and we can get together. Fresno was my old stomping ground...graduated from CSUF when it was called Fresno State. I sure wish Chet was around to see the final results. He was giving me pointers and helping me put things together before his tragic passing.

Best regards to you all......Chuck

Quick Reply: Leakdown Test/acceptable ranges?