Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Leakdown Test/acceptable ranges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Chuck, Good luck on the shake down run-nice to see the lowleakdown %s - and with the extra 150hp should be a wonderful ride when she is broken in!!!!

Cheers Mike
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck, read a post saying you didn't like the sound of your wastegate pipe and was looking for a post where you'd talked about your car since you picked it up, couldn't find anything so thought i'd ask here, spill the beans or point me in the direction of where you've posted something, i'm interested in what you've had done. You also mentioned the engine builder took lots of pics of the build, get them posted up or i'll fall out with you
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 PM
JFairman
Racer

another 150 HP sounds e x t r e m e l y optimistic for just adding headers, K27 7200, different wastegate @ the same boost level, and a better halfbay intercooler.

Unless there's more been done like cams, porting, and higher boost.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess Fairman called me out on this one, and rightfully so....I haven't dyno'd it yet...the indy dropped it off last night and I took it out for a cruise early in the AM. I didn't really get on it hard, but based upon what I felt; which was a more linear acceleration at boost, but a bit disappointing.... I would agree with Fairman...150 sounds optimistic...developed a rather troublesome oil leak and looks like something broke up topside...maybe the oil pressure sending unit, but it pumped out about a 1/2 quart in the short run...back to the garage...I was going to take pics from underside on a rack, but definitely don't want to post pics of an oil soaked underside....but now need to attend to the problem....but I will definitely post pics as soon as I chase down this oil leak problem and will also post dyno results. Rarelyl8's work on the exhaust system is stellar. Taking off the old manifold was a PIA. Broke 6 studs even with PB soaking and a torch, but all turned out ok.

No...the wastegate pipe sounds terrible...he put a zork on it not the muffler...that needs attending to. More to follow...
Old 05-24-2008, 03:20 PM
mw4904
Intermediate

Bryan and Chuck! Let me know when you guys are getting together, Im right between both of you. Mark
Old 05-24-2008, 07:16 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Mark

Once Chuck figures out his issues we will definately plan something. I have another buddy of mine here in Fresno with a 87-930 as well and he is always up for a little gathering.

Let's wait and see what happens with Chuck.

Chuck... glad to see you have the car back. Bad news on the oil leak but glad for you none the less. Keep us posted.

Bryan
Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

As soon as I chase down the leak and get it fixed, I'll be happy to plan a get together....I am really anxious to see how it really does at WOT, plus I want to get the dyno and be able to report the results.....as I said....preliminary butt dyno was a bit disappointing....seemed less frisky than before, like I've lost some of the bottom end boost....but I couldn't take it up to where I really wanted due to the oil leak.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

If the engine is tuned and timed correctly you should see about a 100HP increase over stock and a much better bottom end. That number (100HP) is based on changing from Euro H/E to SSI, 3LDZ to K27-7200 and 0.8bar to 1.0bar.
Still don't fully understand what was done to the muffler and waste gate, need pictures if you got 'em.
Really anxious to see this car get back on the road!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Brian: Your work was absolutely stellar...superb build...great welds. I couldn't be happier than I am with what you made up for me. I'm just as anxious as you to get this on the road and get some underneath shots to post up. Car looks great with the BlownSix intercooler and red to match powder coated valve covers, fan and cowling. But there are definitely some issues with the way some of the work was done....but I'm not going to publicly grouse about it....I'll work it out with the indy first. I'm a firm believer in one-on-one resolution....not jury by forum.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:11 PM
mw4904
Intermediate

I second what Chuck said about Brian's exhaust! I have had mine on for a few months now and I love it!

Mark
Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark and Bryan: Chased down the leak today...part of it was the rubber oil return fitting, not the oil pressure sending unit...and then found that the new main seal that was just installed was leaking. Will drop the engine again next thursday and re-do the seal, then should be ready for that get-together. All other systems are looking good. I'm getting anxious to finally get it going after all this time.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
I'm glad things seem to be under control for you. That's got to be a bummer. One thing on the "Disappointment", you felt when you road tested it. When I switched to a 7200 from the old 3LDZ I felt the same thing. It started boost sooner but was not as dramatic when it finally came on to the set level. This is the nature of the newer turbos that they are more linear and less explosive. I still wish someone would develope a low end turbo since most of my driving is under 100 mph! Good luck.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
mw4904
Intermediate

Good to here Chuck! The wait will be worth it!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Great

Glad to see to you figured it out. Let's chat in the upcoming weeks.

Bryan
Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

rudy: One of my problems was that I forgot to install the spacer that comes with the Tial wastegate, so I ended up dumping boost prematurely....or in reality, most of the time. That had the result of producing the unacceptable snarl that I was complaining about because I don't think it was ever completely closed, and undoubtedly contributed to the lousy low end performance. I'm sure that once I get these issues ironed out, it will be much more acceptable, but I think I'm going to miss the kick that the old 3LDZ did...turbo lag and all.

I ran into another fellow here in Sacramento who has a black factory 87 slant cab...since there were only 42 made, the coincidence is remarkable....however his has been substantially beefed up by ....I think he said Promotive...and he's pushing about 550....no wonder he told me he'd run against my 996TT!! He has a sleeper there. I should have all the idiosyncracies ironed out by next weekend...then I can take a run to Fresno and meetup with you guys down there....let's see that's about 140 miles one way....gas is now $4.60 a gallon?? Bryan....do you want to subsidize my trip?? Still...we can't complain...every time I think we're getting screwed, I think about our Britt friends paying $10 per gallon...or litre or whatever. Christ this is getting rediculous.

Quick Reply: Leakdown Test/acceptable ranges?