911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Halloween In February

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE

Well, I am finally back from my two weeks vacation in the Netherlands. I can tell you, after getting the car on the 18th, then having to leave for two weeks on the 22nd, I was going nuts most of the time I was away.

Update on the reverse issue. All of you guys missed a terrifc Three Stooges routine when I called Gary to ask about the shifter and getting the car into reverse. I am sitting in the car, Gary is on the phone telling me that all i have to do is push the little pin in and move the lever. Problem is, there is no little pin. Gary is thinking I am nuts, I am thinking that I must have some really nasty problem because that pin is NOT there. Takes Gary a few minutes to realize that he is thinking Wevco shifter and the Pumpkin has a Hargett. So I go off to Holland wondering if I have some horrible tranny problem or something.

Anyway, I get back Tuesday and take the car over to IA. On the way, the shift rod falls out of the coupling on the shifter so I have to limp in. Arriving at IA the Pumpkin draws a crowd. Kasper comes out and lifts the engine cover and says"gee that's a stock intercooler" and starts to make a list of all the stuff he wants to do to the motor. Carl assures me that all they have to do is reattach and align the shift rod and all will be well. I am still worried that something evil has happened in the G50. Cell phone rings Wed AM about 10, I'm thinking here it comes, your G50 is trashed and it will cost a million dollars to fix. Carl says, hey, your car is fixed come get it anytime. Talk about relief. All he had to do was re-attach the shift rod, align it, then tac it in place. As long as I don't manhandle it too bad should last forever. Whew!

Autocross scheduled for Sunday, so that will be our get to know each other day.

Can't Wait.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Yeah, sorry about the confusion at first. I had just finished up some work on my SC and I had the WEVO shifter in my head.. After saying how to shift the 915 10 times a light went off in my head.. The pumpkin has a G50 and the Hargett! Amazing after spending over $10K putting it in I would forget that eh? Did you ever tell Intercity about the driver putting vise-grips to your shifter and breaking it? I'm glad IA got you going, i knew it was minor. Now get all those toys hooked up so you know how she is running (mixture-wise).. Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

So what happened at the autocross Bob?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Was very interesting. Weather was really cold. I went over and followed my son (WRX - very experienced autocrosser) to the event. Getting on the interstate as I ran her up through the gears, it seemed as if the clutch was slipping when the boost came on. Driving down the highway in 5th, if I got on it, the clutch was definitely slipping. Seemed fine at launch and low RPM, just when the boost come on it started to slip.

I went ahead and ran two heats, cautiously, just to get a feel for the car. She is fantastic, really different than the 965. Even with the clutch issue, it felt like i was carring much more speed everywhere. My times were lousy because on both runs I had to lock em up to keep from mashing some cones at the chicane. I will have to work on that as her corning speeds are so high that I have to learn when to back down a little.

Also got some feedback from the group that it looksed like I was really runnning rich as i was getting some black smoke under low speed full throttle.

Anyway, she is going into IA today (they were swamped last week) to get checked out. I know the clutch is new and it wasn't (or i hadn't noticed it) slipping the few times I drove her before I went on vacation. Not sure what is goiung on but Carl will get it right and then I've asked for them to do the full tune on the dyno as well to be sure everything is ship shape.

I'll keep you posted.

B
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You ran those street tires? I wish I could give you some input on the clutch issue, I never noticed it slip either but maybe it's just an adjustment? I am totally clueless about it but as it's all new I can't imagine a big problem. The engine isn't putting out so much more power now than stock so it can't be that. I'm sure it's running rich also, you really need to get her tuned using all those goodies I gave you! Get everything hooked up and I bet she runs even better (to say nothing of using less gas!)..

Please keep me appraised and keep the pictures coming!
Gary

Originally Posted by jayhawk
Was very interesting. Weather was really cold. I went over and followed my son (WRX - very experienced autocrosser) to the event. Getting on the interstate as I ran her up through the gears, it seemed as if the clutch was slipping when the boost came on. Driving down the highway in 5th, if I got on it, the clutch was definitely slipping. Seemed fine at launch and low RPM, just when the boost come on it started to slip.

I went ahead and ran two heats, cautiously, just to get a feel for the car. She is fantastic, really different than the 965. Even with the clutch issue, it felt like i was carring much more speed everywhere. My times were lousy because on both runs I had to lock em up to keep from mashing some cones at the chicane. I will have to work on that as her corning speeds are so high that I have to learn when to back down a little.

Also got some feedback from the group that it looksed like I was really runnning rich as i was getting some black smoke under low speed full throttle.

Anyway, she is going into IA today (they were swamped last week) to get checked out. I know the clutch is new and it wasn't (or i hadn't noticed it) slipping the few times I drove her before I went on vacation. Not sure what is goiung on but Carl will get it right and then I've asked for them to do the full tune on the dyno as well to be sure everything is ship shape.

I'll keep you posted.

B
Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How new is the clutch disk? Doesn't it take a few hundred miles for those things to seat?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Yes, it was soooo cold that i was too lazy to put the R comps on. Just wanted to get aquainted anyway. Probably for the best as it turned out. it snowed and sleeted for the third run (where i thought discretion was the better choice) and all the 4 wheel drive guys (my son included) had a great time sliding all over the place on stone cold race tires.

Don't know what to think about the clutch. I do know that Stephen and Carl will get it right. Stephen is going to hook up and calibrate the AFR stuff while he has it.

I'll keep you posted.

B
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

What's the poop Bob, you have been real quiet! Did Imagine get to the bottom of the clutch issue and get her all finely tuned up for you?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Sorry, but thyere is nothing to report. IA has been really busy so i didn't take it to them until a week ago Monday. They had their SPRING FLING last Sat and from thye way the shop looled, they spent all week cleaning. A very successful event. They had the Pumpkin parked right up front and she gathered a lot of interest......
Anyway, I sufficiently abused Stephen ( I talked to Roxanne who is REALLY in charge) and Carl promised me that he would get to it this week.

I was traveling all week last week and this so I have been out of pocket as well.

Hope to have something to report by this weekend.

Stephen and Carl.....are you listening?????
Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Talking Pumpkin Pie

Finally an update.....

Got the car back from IA last week. Ended up having to resuface the flywheel and I had them put a new PP and disc in, even though they were new in Oct. Really have no idea what happened, the clutch was fine when Gary and I blasted down his street in feb. No matter it is fixed now.....

Stpehen advised that I put 200 city driving miles on the clutch before getting into it to be sure all the surfaces are run in, and I can tell you when this guy tells you something about a 930 you better listen. I have a 30 mile interstate ride to work so my son the autocrosser graciously offered to use it as his daily drive for the week to break in the new clutch. What a guy! Wednesday evening he shows up with my grandson (age 3) for dinner in the pouring rain with my grandson's Simpson car seat securely fastened into the right Recarro and both of them with with huge smiles on their faces. Grandson gets out of the car and says "Dada is driving Opa's Pumpkin!"

Anyway while she was at IA, Karl fixed a couple of oil leaks and hooked up the AFR meter. Stephen advised not putting in the ajustable WUR with the stock motor (however, he did volunteer to BUILD an motor around the adj WUR!). They put one hell of a tune on it. I though it was running pretty good when I took it to them, it is order of magnitude better now. Starts like a Toyota Corrolla in the cold (still frezzing here in the AM) and runs like a BEAR.

These guys KNOW 930's.

Took it friday to get liscensed amd was prepared for a real hassle but the Highway Patrol person who does the "safety" inspection which is really just a check of the VIN's comes out and asked up front "is that a gray market car?" I gulp and say yes maam (oH NO OH NO OH nO) She says no problem, goes right to the name plate under the hood and fills out the paperwork. Title transfer goes though no problem ( WHEW)

She makes her debut at the KCRPCA weekly breakfast this AM. We usually get about 15 to 20 folks at 0730 for breakfast. The pumpkin gets as big a crowd as Rob's new Ferrari 430. ( I know I know, but Rob really IS a Porshe guy).

Basking in the spotlight I head for home, get into my neighborhood and she DIES, deader than a doornail. Coast to a stop, you can imagine what I am thinking. BUT, a little head work reveals that a fuse has FALLEN out of the 26 year old fuse holder and dropped power to the ignition. Grab the fuse from the fog lights and we are back in business.

This car is going to change my life!

Autocross next Sunday and then Heartland Park May 17/18. Can't wait.

RW
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 AM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice color

Orange good..black good...say no more,say no more..wink,wink..nudge,nudge.

Nice car, hope you have loads of tire smok'n fun!

Mark
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear she is back to top shape Bob! It really makes me wonder how, between CT and Kansas, the shifter got broken and the clutch went bad..... Were the rear tires worn out too?

Anyway, you are going to have a blast, especially at the track. I can't remember where the front sways are set, but if you are getting push on the AC track (and the tires are up to temp) take a peek, they may be set soft. Same goes for the track. I never ran it enough to dial it in..

Have FUN!!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gary, she is all good now.

Working on trying to find the heat shield for the turbo as I have noticed the left side of the FG bumper gets purty hot. IA thinks they may have one laying around, they are going to check today; you don't happen to have it in your pile of stuff do you?

Any other 930 owners out there that have dealt with heat and fiberglass bumpers?

Interesting comment about the sways. In a bit of, ahem, spirited driving (they are putting in a bunch of rountundas in place of 4 way stops around here a blast at dawn on Sunday AM) I have noticed that the front end is a little twitchy and doesn't seem as planted as my 964. I'll crawl under there and check. but I know Dan set it up so I don't want to mess with it until I have more time with her.

I'll keep you posted

B
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Hey, I have another question for all you racing guys. I am toying with the idea if buying a trailer and wouul like to know how and what you use to tie your 930 down on the trailer.

I have seen some tow hooks/tie downs on Pelican but would like to know what else is out there.

Gary: Hoe did you tie her down in your trailer?

Thanks

B
Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You can go two ways Bob. There are two loops up front and two cutouts in the frame rails in back. You can use those. I much prefer getting wheel straps and using a crank with either safety hooks on both the trailer eye bolts and the car end or (in my case) use an open strap that feeds through the wheel, though a ring, then feeds directly into the ratcheting assembly (get one with 4" handles). Think of what bad can happen..

Quick Reply: Halloween In February