Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Cost of CD ignition box

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised to hear about Stephens issues. I've used them for years at the track without a problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess I am just lucky
Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
The rebuild units are golden. I personally use M&W direct replacement CDI setup. Not cheap, but good. i also use these in my EFI conversions.
I'm having my spare rebuilt through my shop, which I think uses someone that is rather "vocal" on this forum. What is the "M&W direct replacement"?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Well you are hanging out in the wrong crowds. Many including, god rest his soul, Chet have had many issues. I do not know what causes the issues but suspect the heat and the environment of a 911 engine bay to be suspect. The typical temperature is considerably hotter in the bay of a 911/930. I have tried since the late 80s to run that junk and it has always failed in an aggressive environment. Premature is well, not for everyone. The rebuild units are golden. I personally use M&W direct replacement CDI setup. Not cheap, but good. i also use these in my EFI conversions.
I had problems as have many people I know. Several comments I picked up on were that in general it was good unit however, does not handle excessive vibration, heat or moisture well. The boxes are not sealed and can easily get contaminated with water which can cause shorts, even though the electronics are covered in some form of silicone or similar product.

Many people I know still using them have mounted the boxes inside the car (fine for a dedicated track car but not for street use) on the appropriate dampeners and have not had issues but for those I know who mount them in place of the CD unit have had issues most of which failed on hot rainy days.

I found with the permatune they are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Quick Reply: Cost of CD ignition box