Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Innovate LC-1 cable length long enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Innovate LC-1 cable length long enough?

Does anyone know if the 10 foot long cable on the Innovate LC-1 is long enough to install a wide band guage somewhere on the dash of a 930?
Or do you have to buy or make an extension cable for it?

Or do you just have to make extension wires going from the LC-1 to the gauge you choose to use with it?

Has anyone tried one of these kits, or know anyone that has experience wit it?
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=150

I want to do a permanent install and like this small digital read out that can be velcro'd onto the dash or console somewhere.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy an extension at Radio Shack I think. It's like a 2 or 2.mm stereo cable. Mine was just long enough to get it up to the left side of the dash where I made a gauge holder.

Originally Posted by JFairman
Does anyone know if the 10 foot long cable on the Innovate LC-1 is long enough to install a wide band guage somewhere on the dash of a 930?
Or do you have to buy or make an extension cable for it?

Or do you just have to make extension wires going from the LC-1 to the gauge you choose to use with it?

Has anyone tried one of these kits, or know anyone that has experience wit it?
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=150

I want to do a permanent install and like this small digital read out that can be velcro'd onto the dash or console somewhere.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
JFairman
Racer

Thanks for the info..
How does the "Record/Calibrate/Peak Hold button " work on the XD-16 gauge?
Does the gauge store that data and paly it back? or do you need a laptop with the software running or the LM-1 hooked up to do that?
Also is it a useful feature? I mean does it display the AFR and the RPM you were at at the time. Seems you would need that or a playback would be kind of useless.

The PLX is another brand wideband AFR gauge kit that looks interesting and costs less too.
Does anyone have experience with this unit?
http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=299&page=1

thanks,
Jim
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

I am currently installing my LC-1 with the XD-16 display, and I dont feel that the cable is long enough. I called Innovate, and spoke with one of the techs or salespeople there.... He said, we dont care if its not long enough. We are not making them any longer than what is supplied with the kit. When questioned if I could use a extension from Radio Shack, he advised that the cable is different going to the gauge, and a headphone extension cable will not work. I know that these guys make one of the best WB 02 sensores/ controllers out there.....but the attitude shown by the staff at Innovate left a very bad tatse in my mouth....
Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, their attitude sucks. I wanted an extension from the O2 sensor to the "black box" and they don't make one?! It's just long enough to have the "black box" sit on the tapered transition tube from the large rubber elbow to the pipe going to the turbo.

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
I am currently installing my LC-1 with the XD-16 display, and I dont feel that the cable is long enough. I called Innovate, and spoke with one of the techs or salespeople there.... He said, we dont care if its not long enough. We are not making them any longer than what is supplied with the kit. When questioned if I could use a extension from Radio Shack, he advised that the cable is different going to the gauge, and a headphone extension cable will not work. I know that these guys make one of the best WB 02 sensores/ controllers out there.....but the attitude shown by the staff at Innovate left a very bad tatse in my mouth....
Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I installed mine and haven't touched it. You can do different stuff with the laptop like change back ground colors, the LEDS, etc, but I just rely on the digital numbers as I drive. I guess not having a laptop forced that issue.

I have used the "calibrate" button when I replaced the O2 sensor. It wouldn't hurt to do it every once in awhile I guess eith to make sure it good to go.

Originally Posted by JFairman
Thanks for the info..
How does the "Record/Calibrate/Peak Hold button " work on the XD-16 gauge?
Does the gauge store that data and paly it back? or do you need a laptop with the software running or the LM-1 hooked up to do that?
Also is it a useful feature? I mean does it display the AFR and the RPM you were at at the time. Seems you would need that or a playback would be kind of useless.

The PLX is another brand wideband AFR gauge kit that looks interesting and costs less too.
Does anyone have experience with this unit?
http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=299&page=1

thanks,
Jim
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I think the RPM sensor is an extra if you just get the XD-16 kit like I have.

I might get the DL-32 though when I get it installed.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/p...s/MTS_grid.php
Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM
JFairman
Racer

I guess you could just time your run through the gears up to redline and then play it back and watch the second hand on a watch and figure your AFR and how it relates to RPMs roughly that way.

While googleing these things a link to around 20 different you tube videos of digital wideband AFR gauges came up. I watched almost all of them and now I'm having second thoughts about mounting one on the dash somewhere...
To me they are really annoying because they are flashing colored led's and digital readout all over the place and very rarely stabilize to something readable.

Maybe the LM-1 hand held data logger/display is the best way to go, and just remove it and the O2 sensor and put a plug in the bung after it is set up.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have that square readout, I think I bought it from the same place in the link, except I got the blue one.
I have the lm1, I know I ordered a longer cable for something but can't remember what. Also did an xd16 lc1 install and had to order another extra cable.
friend with the xd16 + lc1 combo wasn't to happy about it, I think the deal is you can't drive and watch the laptop at the same time (with a friend) like you can with the lm1 and an rpm converter.
for sure they aren't too cool on the phone.
there are better options out there now I believe. If I did it again I'd get something else.
good help on their forums though, gotta admit
now that I'm thinking, the issue was that the sensor cable was only long enough to reach the tranny cover inside the car. I went from the rear around the side under the oil filler and into back wall passenger side. So my lm1 sits on the tranny cover next to a fire extinguisher. From there I have the output to the gauge in the dash

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

one other thing after reading that, that readout is spot on accurate, same numbers shown as the lm1 one screen, I was worried about that, not being able to see the lm1 while I was driving
If I could only have three extra gauges I'd ditch the EGT and keep the AFR, boost and fuel press
Old 12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

found another pic

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Innovate LC-1 cable length long enough?